Protective corner in chrome/metal vs plastic?

• Thread starter Tonefiend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
Hi!

Does anyone know if someone makes/sells chrome or metal protective corners (vs. the plastic ones)? I see a lot of plastic corners, but no chrome or metal corners.

I just bought an 81 Marshall JCM 800 4010. Killer amp, but it was gigged and shows. I bought it knowing I was going to restore/remodel it.

I completely dismantled it and stripped off the old tolex. So far, I’ve purchased new feet, handle, speaker cloth and tolex.

PelliX

Reaction score
Hi!

Does anyone know if someone makes/sells chrome or metal protective corners (vs. the plastic ones)? I see a lot of plastic corners, but no chrome or metal corners.

I just bought an 81 Marshall JCM 800 4010. Killer amp, but it was gigged and shows. I bought it knowing I was going to restore/remodel it.

I completely dismantled it and stripped off the old tolex. So far, I’ve purchased new feet, handle, speaker cloth and tolex.

First, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Yes, you can get metal corner pieces - absolutely. I don't think Marshall used them on the JCM series at all originally, neither am I sure whether you could get an exact replica of the type used made from metal, but something like this would do the trick. I'm probably going to be using them on my VOX, as the original corner pieces are seemingly unobtainable (plenty for the AC30, none for the AC15 - and yes, they're different sizes):

https://www.ltt-versand.de/en/light...MIy__9mNz08wIVRgKLCh2F0gl4EAQYAyABEgIFGvD_BwE

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've used these plastic ones from Ambazon multiple times.
upload_2021-10-31_9-9-18.png
They are a good match for Marshall cabs.
There are lots of metal corners available, but I've never seen them for the 3/4"r. corners.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I like the look of no corners. Little on the vintage side. Unless youre going to gig with it. Sorry cant help with your question. Awesome amp though!

william vogel

Reaction score
Hi!

You have to be careful to get corners with the correct radius. Marshall cabinets use a 3/4 inch radius corner or possibly metric 19mm or 18mm radius. This is very important for them to fit properly.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Penn Elcom is one of the OEM manufacturers of corners used on many amps, cabinets, and road cases. Check their website out.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to skip the corners, as Marcomel79 mentioned, as I don't plan on gigging this amp.

Nice. Is gonna look like a variation of the bluesbreaker. Look at Uncle Doug's videos to retolex the amp. Lots of very useful tips to get a super professional job done. Done this some time ago after looking at his videos and was very happy with the result
E15228A7-B827-4125-AA2E-4426D7BAFF8E.jpeg A6C6B85C-C81C-4467-AF9C-98ACA5D3E797.jpeg 39015C0D-1B9A-4728-A8C9-C51568BD81BA.jpeg

Last edited:

Tonefiend

Reaction score
Nice. Is gonna look like a variation of the bluesbreaker. Look at Uncle Doug's videos to retolex the amp. Lots of very useful tips to get a super professional job done. Done this some time ago after looking at his videos and was very happy with the result
View attachment 97109 View attachment 97110 View attachment 97111

Wow, really well done. Love the dark green and gold mix.

Someone mentioned using Duratex coating instead of tolex. I already bought some tolex, but I do like the thought of something more durable and repairable.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Duratex? That's the stuff found on a lot of PA cabinets. It's basically bedliner lite.

It's not what I'd call a classy finish. Durable, industrial, yes....but if you're looking for an amp that has an elegant appearance, it's not the finish I'd recommend.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to skip the corners, as Marcomel79 mentioned, as I don't plan on gigging this amp.
Having just finished some no corner cap cabs, I'd add that ROUNDED corners with FLAT tolex is a PITA.
Here's a pic of the 10 year old head and the 2 day old cab with 1/2" radius corners.
The corner cuts on the head are pulling apart from the tolex aging.
corners.jpg
If your amp looks like this:
R.01535401e8614b56ababc13945c16b9d

I'd highly suggest reconsidering the $10 set of plastic corners.
Not for durability, or even aesthetics, but strictly for the ease of doing the tolex corner cut on a 3/4" radius.
I've done both, and if you've never done tolex before, get the corners...

Tonefiend

Reaction score
Duratex? That's the stuff found on a lot of PA cabinets. It's basically bedliner lite.

It's not what I'd call a classy finish. Durable, industrial, yes....but if you're looking for an amp that has an elegant appearance, it's not the finish I'd recommend.

I agree. I just looked online at some photos, and it does seem very rugged, protective, but not classy. I'm definitely going for classy.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
Having just finished some no corner cap cabs, I'd add that ROUNDED corners with FLAT tolex is a PITA.
Here's a pic of the 10 year old head and the 2 day old cab with 1/2" radius corners.
The corner cuts on the head are pulling apart from the tolex aging.
View attachment 97117
If your amp looks like this:
R.01535401e8614b56ababc13945c16b9d

I'd highly suggest reconsidering the $10 set of plastic corners.
Not for durability, or even aesthetics, but strictly for the ease of doing the tolex corner cut on a 3/4" radius.
I've done both, and if you've never done tolex before, get the corners...

Yes, my amp looked like that, but was really beat up. The actual amp part looks to be in good shape, but the tolex, handle, corners and feet were used. At this point, I've completed taken it apart and stripped tolex and removed the glue (PITA BTW). I'm waiting for tolex and glue to arrive.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, my amp looked like that, but was really beat up. The actual amp part looks to be in good shape, but the tolex, handle, corners and feet were used. At this point, I've completed taken it apart and stripped tolex and removed the glue (PITA BTW). I'm waiting for tolex and glue to arrive.
By all means, have a go at cutting the corner bevel.
Leave both sides long and overlap.
Run a razor knife through both layers from the inside of the face frame corner out on a 45.
Peel out the overlays and hope for the best.
If you don't like how it looks, the caps are a $10 fix. :D

Tonefiend

Reaction score
I was doing some tests last night to see how it would go. The most difficult corners are the top front left and right because it's a corner and an inset on the 4010 combo.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I was doing some tests last night to see how it would go. The most difficult corners are the top front left and right because it's a corner and an inset on the 4010 combo.
For the inset use a hairdrier to soften the tolex and then use your thumbs firmly to wrap the tolex around it. Once the tolex is warm, its very easy, just dont overdo it.
Here is a link to a very useful video:

Also this one:

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
There is an exact method to doing tolex corners. Youtube has videos on it. Watch them, and then practice.
Just take patches of scrap and apply them to a corner of a cabinet, practice the method, strip it off, put on a new piece of scrap,
repeat. Keep doing it until you get ten perfect corners in a row. At that point you can say you KNOW how to do the corners right.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
There is an exact method to doing tolex corners. Youtube has videos on it. Watch them, and then practice.
Just take patches of scrap and apply them to a corner of a cabinet, practice the method, strip it off, put on a new piece of scrap,
repeat. Keep doing it until you get ten perfect corners in a row. At that point you can say you KNOW how to do the corners right.
Solid advice. I have some extra pieces that I'll practice on first.

Thanks for the advice. I’m definitely going to do some testing. The front, top corner seems to be a bit tricky, as it’s a corner, inset and fold under wrap. Practice needed for sure.
34E9AB07-ECBE-48B7-81D6-6109F863EBEC.jpeg