Protective corner in chrome/metal vs plastic?

• Thread starter Tonefiend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Word of advice: Do not stretch the tolex. Not more than you HAVE to. When doing those inside curves, staple the tabs in place on the inside after doing the contact cement work.

Stretched tolex eventually separates from its contacd cement bond. It WILL regain its original shape, eventually.

Another word of advice: Contact cement in a spray can is USELESS TRASH. Avoid at ALL costs.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
That’s the “before” picture? I expected much worse from your description.

The photo is deceiving. The tolex was really bad, most of the bottom was bare wood. The feet were broken, a few of the corners were gone, two top bolts holding the head on were stripped, handle needed replaced, faceplates were separating in spots and bent up.
After 40 years of use, needed some loving. It sounds great, and the amp looks super clean. Those are the two main things for me. Everything else will be new.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
I bought some corners, but ended up not needing them. The tolex was not easy, nor is it perfect. But, overall turned out pretty good - especially for my first time.

Here’s the final results of the remodel. The blue is more like the color shown from the top.

It’s different from the standard black, but I wanted something that was lighter/softer, given how aggressive the amp is. Seems unexpected to be such a savage beast!

45EE79F4-B5F1-4CFE-9ADB-29C414BDC60B.jpeg
F82F3134-1E52-4652-B7FE-63D7BF8BF573.jpeg
E289CC58-AD17-417E-9975-C111802C21FB.jpeg

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I bought some corners, but ended up not needing them. The tolex was not easy, nor is it perfect. But, overall turned out pretty good - especially for my first time.

Here’s the final results of the remodel. The blue is more like the color shown from the top.

It’s different from the standard black, but I wanted something that was lighter/softer, given how aggressive the amp is. Seems unexpected to be such a savage beast!

View attachment 98491
View attachment 98492
View attachment 98493
Great job, love it

Eric'45

Reaction score
Looks... interesting? :hmm:
But a cool idea, it's something unique and will shurely turn heads!

Tonefiend

Reaction score
Originally I was going to do it in teal, like the ToneKing amps offer, but it’s a bit too much.

I definitely wanted something different- I considered purple and 80’s-rock zebra print, etc.

It will likely sit on my desk in the studio. I will say that I was blown away last night with the low-input channel. It sounds incredible. Some of the nicest, bell like clean on the edge of breakup. I played for hours until my fingers had enough.

Here’s another photo that’s more realistic of the blue color. It’s a lighter/muted blue than my iPhone often captures.

Maybe not for everyone, but I learned a lot in the process. I like it in person more than photos.

ADB4AD0A-8CFF-4C21-A911-D8073FE8B915.jpeg