PRS SE and JCM 900

• Thread starter uraceulose
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

uraceulose

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a tremonti SE and a JCM 900 running through a mesa boogie. I am getting a tinny sound out of the setup (only first week working with it). I plugged in a 81 Les paul and it gave me a little more depth and lower end but not quite as much a i thought. My question is....

If i change the pickups in my PRS SE to the JB's/ jazz combo....or something equivilant will it take me where i need to go??? Of course a long with some adjustments of the amp.

or should i dump the prs save some money and just breakdown and get a Les paul. I don't really have the flow to do that now but if the pickups wont help much then i might as well start saving....

by the way i play diff styles of music. mostly on the rock-grunge-heavy rock-alt-metal-and punk-blues side lol so i am open to suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

Cardiac Tom

Reaction score
In my opinion, the final piece of my solution would be a Gisbson...

I am saving up for an Explorer...That is the one I want first...After that, I will probably get a V, then a Les...I hate being unemployed...lol

I'm through dicking around with guitars...Currently, I have a cheap Jackson Kelly, which is ok...Put an Duncan Invader in it and it is fine...I also use a BC Rich Ironbird which sounds a lot better...that also has an Invader in it...

Tone comes from more than just gear though...your playing style and nuances also play a big part...

Gibsons do sound so thick though...

uraceulose

Reaction score
ya bro... i think u r right... the heavy body of the gibson gives it that FAT ASS Tone and sustain that i reality I am searching for....

shit bro i feel ya about being unemployed thats why i was thinking cost effective route.... but i think the best bet is step up to the big leagues and get me a GIBSON!!!

RobS

Reaction score
Yes Gibson is the way to go. I have a Les Paul Traditional and through the 900 the sound is so fat that I run the eq basically all at 5 with that guitar. Then use the tone pot for more highs or lows.
I ahve an old Yamaha rgx312 as well and that has a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the bridge. That really pushes the amp as well but the sheer weight and bell like resonance of the Gibson I think is what you are after

dymlos

Reaction score
you can do it the 900 is a great amp i play one to. i mean i finally got my to sound good with a hollowbody but yeah theres nothing like a marshall and a les paul

ThreeTone

Reaction score
I have 2 LPs and a PRS SE Custom 22. The SE's are great guitars for the money. I especially dig the neck. Fretwork and finish are excellent. I think they could use better tuners and maybe a different nut. Pickups are subjective. But it's alot of guitar for the $450 I paid for it. Featherweight as well.

My Studio is definitely warmer and fuller than the PRS. The PRS seems to fill the gap between the Lesters and the Strats. Not as thick as the LPs, but more grind and growl than the Strats.

Pickups can get you closer to where you want to be, but I don't think they will make the PRS sound like a LP. I don't think you'll get the low end of a LP with the PRS. The PRS does it's own thing. The 25" scale seems to give it a middle ground tone. Of course the Custom 22 is not a Tremonti, and I haven't played one, so there may be significant differences, but I guess they are rather close in tone?

My advice would be to get a set of pickups that you like, keep the PRS, and get a LP when you can swing it. Then you've got more tones covered, and the SE's are a great value. If it plays well and you like the feel, keep it. But I don't think it will ever quite hit the LP tone.

wylde1

Reaction score
The tinniness is kindof inherent with the 900 as well. I know if you've seen me post before it seems like i'm preaching this but I put an MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop of my 900 and I could not believe the difference. You can find them used on Ebay for fairly cheap. Would most certainly be cheaper than a new guitar.

I've always been sort of an amp purist, I don't like putting things between my guitar and it, just not my thing. But after trying this out I wouldn't trade it for the world.

dymlos

Reaction score
see im running no effects through my 900 and im having no trouble with anything with my les paul running through it direct so

Ken

Reaction score
I played a month through a 900 that sounded kind of annoying. It wasn't my Les Paul, as it rocks through my DSL. I suggest you have a look at your amp; lots of 900's have the wrong tubes.

Ken

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
The tinniness is kindof inherent with the 900 as well. I know if you've seen me post before it seems like i'm preaching this but I put an MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop of my 900 and I could not believe the difference. You can find them used on Ebay for fairly cheap. Would most certainly be cheaper than a new guitar.
I've always been sort of an amp purist, I don't like putting things between my guitar and it, just not my thing. But after trying this out I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A huge +1...make that a+1000 on the EQ in the loop...most people will ask about mods,pickups,speakers and guitars to get the sound they want from their amp...yet never even give a smidgen of thought of trying this... i have had an EQ in the loop of just about very amp i have owned that had a loop...so lets see
new pickups about $120 not installed...a good pair of speakers $100-300 you can install your self...mods...geez that can be a fortune...new gguitar can be higher than a mod...an EQ with a pair of cables less than $100 and will give you better results in the fact you can change your tone in seconds

Latest posts