PRS SEs - any good?

• Thread starter purpleplexi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Never played a PRS of any description but I saw an SE Carlos the other day that spoke to me. Didn't get to play it. No way I'm spending full PRS money but the SEs are reasonable if they're any good....

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Absolutely! Their Asian made models are built to PRS standard, a solid sweet sounding modern electric that outclassed most other makes in that price range. The only week spot used to be the nut, but they use tusq now I believe. I owned more than a couple and just traded up to the core PRS. Totally a guitar you can count on, with warmth and character as well. Go for it.

Torren61

Reaction score
Yes. I've played many and owned several and still own one, a PRS SE Soapbar. They are, IMHO, one of the best guitars you can buy for the money. The quality, attention to detail, playability, sound and price are exceptional.

I also currently own a PRS McCarty. The SE can hang with the McCarty at one tenth the price (I bought both of them used).

The SE looks exactly like this one. The pickups are killer. Made in Korea.

rw24p08yftaf2cwjqvaw.jpg

jeffb

Reaction score
Great bang for the buck guitars. Better than most $for $. Way better than Epiphone or Squier or cheaper Fenders.

Personally I cannot stand the beveled tops on them- aesthetically and physically. The S2s are the same.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Thanks. Considering trading my 'spare' LP which is an 80s tokai. Sent them pics waiting for an offer.

Torren61

Reaction score
Thanks. Considering trading my 'spare' LP which is an 80s tokai. Sent them pics waiting for an offer.
Value-wise, you may want to hang onto the Tokai. Is is a set neck? Is it all together? Which SE are you wanting to trade for? Those are selling on average for around $1200-$1300. Japanese guitars from the 70s, 80s and 90s are the next frontier in collectible guitars.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
In the UK used 80s loverocks sell for between £600 - £700 which is around what I paid for it about 15 years ago. It's a goldtop and a nice playing/sounding guitar but I have another LP that I prefer so it sits in the case. Feel like if I had something a bit different I'd probably use it. I'm not convinced that these guitars will increase dramatically in price anytime soon but I'll check to see if I'm out of touch....

jeffb

Reaction score
I would never give up a prime era Tokai (or other MIJ clone) for a korean/Indonesian anything...not even those cute little hookers of theirs.

Torren61

Reaction score

purpleplexi

Reaction score
OK maybe the Tokai stays under the bed and I just buy the Carlos with that money stuff....