• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Punk, Punk, Punk!!

• Thread starter VintageTone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Wow, you can't really be serious. The only part of your statement that's verifiable is that they played loud. Well produced? That's subjective, so I won't bother arguing that. Tight playing? :lol:

That album is one of the best recorded albums I've ever heard. Chris Thomas and Bill Price produced it for god's sake! And they weren't tight? Bill Price described Steve Jones as the "tightest guitarist he'd ever worked with".

You should actually listen to the album before passing judgment on it.

riffdrive

Reaction score
You should actually listen to the album before passing judgment on it.

I grew up listening to that album. And if you'll read my last statement, you'll see I wasn't passing judgment on the production. I said that production value is subjective so I won't even bother arguing it. :)

Mike_j

Reaction score
Wow, you can't really be serious. The only part of your statement that's verifiable is that they played loud. Well produced? That's subjective, so I won't bother arguing that. Tight playing? :lol:

Punk was/is about attitude, not music. Music (and I use that term loosely) is simply used as a vehicle to deliver the attitude. I'm not saying that's wrong or right, that's just the way it is. I too liked listening to punk music back in the day, but I sure didn't listen for the tight guitar playing and excellent production.

Not about music? Sounds like a sweeping and dismissive statement to a whole generation of bands encouraged by the Pistols whole "get out and play" attitude. The whole ethos encouraged a slather of great bands-Skids, Buzzcocks, Clash, Jam, Damned, Gang Of Four, Generation X, Joy Division, Killing Joke, U2. Scientists, Ruts etc etc

Verify it with those guys.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Punk bands were not concerned about their tone, or their musicianship. They used whatever gear they could afford (or steal), played it ridiculously loud, and quite badly at that. The whole idea of punk was to thumb your nose at the rest of the musical establishment, so it doesn't really matter what kind of amp you use. Just crank it up to 10, shoot enough heroin, and you're bound to sound as good (or better) than any punk band out there ;) And I say that as a fan of punk music from back in the day.

I'm glad I came upon this thread! I've been wondering what direction to point myself and now I know. I can't wait to sell off all of my gear, except for my loudest amp and one guitar. I can use the money I make to buy heroin. Then I will be able to sound like shit with a bunch of other people and maybe cut a CD or two. Excuse me! What's that you say? Punk isn't "in" anymore? Damn, that sucks. Just when I thought I was going to be able to play at a below beginners skill level. Get a lead singer with his nose stapled shut and a fish hook in his ear. I mean you have to have stage presence, right?

Punk? Yeah, ain't it great.

Marty:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts