• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Question about 2x12 wiring- JCM 900 head

• Thread starter Matt Lohr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Lohr

Reaction score
Ok. So I’m finally ready to wire up a cool old Fender cabinet I’ve had forever.

The speakers I already own are 8 OHM and I really don’t want to buy new ones.

What I need it to do is…..

The JCM 900 head (pictured) will be the primary user. So it seems “series” is my best bet.

Id also like to occasionally run my DSL 40 C combo through it. Especially for recording. That’s the second pic.

How do I make this happen?

Also does the “half power” on the DSL affect any of this?

I do have a 1x12 extension for the DSL so maybe I’m just being difficult.

Thanks! Edit- tried to reload the pics, file too large. I think I got what I needed anyways. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
You have 2 raw 8 ohm speakers?
Weries woild be best yes, as 2 x8s in series is a 16 ohm load.
The pics are thumbnails, need to be way bigger to see anything but the 40C has an 8 ohm minimum so internal plus the 16 ohm cab should work.
Or just use the 1x12 with the 40C

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep wire it in series....16 ohm load. This means you can use it with your 900 head set to 16 ohms and with your DSL40c by plugging the combo speaker and the cab into the 1 x 8 / 2 x 16 sockets.

Matt Lohr

Reaction score
Yep wire it in series....16 ohm load. This means you can use it with your 900 head set to 16 ohms and with your DSL40c by plugging the combo speaker and the cab into the 1 x 8 / 2 x 16 sockets.
The jacks on the DSL 40 are 1/16, 2/8. The little 1x12 I have is 16. The on board speaker gets plugged into one of the 8's, the cabinet the other. I would assume the above 2x12 would work exactly the same being 16 OHM. Thanks for the help!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
The jacks on the DSL 40 are 1/16, 2/8. The little 1x12 I have is 16. The on board speaker gets plugged into one of the 8's, the cabinet the other. I would assume the above 2x12 would work exactly the same being 16 OHM. Thanks for the help!
Correct. :thumbs: