question about Caps

• Thread starter Bob Barcus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

plexifier

Reaction score
Since you only have two, I'd recommend either the first couplers (V1 pins 1 & 6) or the PI outputs (V3 pins 1 & 6).

If you don't use the normal channel, I'd say either the PI outputs OR the first coupler on the bright channel (V1 pin 6) and the PI input (V3 pin 2).

Keep in mind that the first coupler on the bright channel of your reissue is probably .0022uF so that would be a value change (more bass with .022uF).

redscott131

Reaction score
The best place to start is by just looking inside your amp, and seeing what values are currently in it. The caps should have the values written on top (usually square looking things). Record the values (pen and paper) and start the search/hunt for Mustard caps.

impetus maximus

Reaction score
going from a .0022uF to a .022uF is a big change. putting one as a coupling capacitor
in V1, your tone will probably get muddy.

don't change values unless you know what your doing.

Alabama Thunderpussy

Reaction score
yeah .0022 to .022 is a significant change. in a lot of marshall style circuits i tend to stick to .001 to .0047 for the first interstage coupling cap.

Bob Barcus

Reaction score
I like the bright sound of the .0022uf.The amp was made in Feb 1994,and I think they made that first batch of RI good. And so they would cut through the JM800-900.I thought I would start to play with the tone a little maybe after V-1 and PI

impetus maximus

Reaction score
well i changed my V1 coupling cap again. first time was from .0022 to .0047
it sounded thicker and better, but palm muting was still lacking.
rather than try the next step (.01) i just made the jump to .022
V2 has a .022 as well.

your right Brian, i do like this better :dude:

[edit] it didn't darken the amp. it just gave the bottom end more balls.

Latest posts