Question About My 1969 Super Lead

Buzduck

Reaction score
This is my first post on the site, though I've gleaned info from you knowledgeable folks in the past.

I'm going to sell my 1/2 stack, consisting of the head in the title, and a slant cab loaded with the 25 watt thin paper cone green backs.

My question is this:

I see one of the original power supply caps looks like it is starting to leak. Just a little. Haven't fired it up in a while, and don't think I want to.

Would a purist want something like mine in it's original condition, or repaired and ready to rock?
And mind you it's had a repair, (tranny) and a mod, (master vol) so it's not like "original" 1969 vintage condition.

So that's my question, sell it like it is, or fix it, then sell it.

I would try selling it in a venue like this as opposed to Craig's list, because there's too many questions from folks who don't know this old gear like those who do. But I'm hoping some opinions here will help me decide the easiest way to go since I'm moving and retiring and keeping very few pieces of equipment.

So thanks ahead of time to all you knowledgeable Forum folks!

Marshallhead

Reaction score
A working amp is always going to be more saleable than one you dare not fire up, so better to deal with the capacitor - better still to do all 6 but provide the old ones with the amp.

With yours also having a replaced transformer and some mods, you won't hurt value so much anyway.

If I see an ad saying e.g. 'not tested but was working last time I used it' my assumption is 'it's broken and you know it'.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
This is my first post on the site, though I've gleaned info from you knowledgeable folks in the past.

I'm going to sell my 1/2 stack, consisting of the head in the title, and a slant cab loaded with the 25 watt thin paper cone green backs.

My question is this:

I see one of the original power supply caps looks like it is starting to leak. Just a little. Haven't fired it up in a while, and don't think I want to.

Would a purist want something like mine in it's original condition, or repaired and ready to rock?
And mind you it's had a repair, (tranny) and a mod, (master vol) so it's not like "original" 1969 vintage condition.

I would try selling it in a venue like this as opposed to Craig's list, because there's too many questions from folks who don't know this old gear like those who do. But I'm hoping some opinions here will help me decide the easiest way to go since I'm moving and retiring and keeping very few pieces of equipment.

Collect it, or play it, or sell it. Since it's not all original - collecting may be ruled moot.

If you play it put in essential parts like filter caps, grounded / 3 wire power lead.
Change the bias supply filter caps also.

stratburst

Reaction score
I agree it would be best to get serviced before selling but only if You know someone that you trust to do it correctly. There is a lot of knowledge here. Post some good internal shots of the circuit an trannies and you will get a good idea what needs to be done.

Buzduck

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your advice. Yeah, I thought it would be best to repair, but I just wanted some opinions outside of my own. And since I live in the SF bay area, I'll probably take it over to Gary Brawer's and have that shop do the repair.

And to those who have expressed interest in buying (speaker cab) I thought I'd mention that I will let you all know when I'm ready to let it go, but please know it will be sold as a unit, I have no plans at this time to split the head and cab.

Also I will post pix when I shoot a few the right size to upload, Thanks!

BadgerO

Reaction score

My question is this:

I bought one of those "as is." It definitely made me learn a lot about Marshall's B+ rail if you know what I mean. JJ 50+50uf caps are 8 USD each (69's may have 32+32uf for the pre), not much compared to what pre-70 1987's go for these days. It would definitely be the right thing to do since not all musicians enjoy DIY projects (I do now!).
:cheers: