• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Questions for JCM900 Master Vol MkIII Owners.

• Thread starter Masliko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masliko

Reaction score
Hi,guys,I've recently acquired a Marshall Master Vol III (2001) in Australia.Which in this country are super rare.I owned one in the 90's but lost it.

I have owned 800's and DR900's and SLX's in the past and love them all but i personally prefer the MkIII's with EL34's over the others.I know all tones are subjective and hate the fool that states that "this is the best" pedal or amp head.Plus,different heads and pedals for different genres.I would not say I'm a gear geek, i just like the tones i like and to make music.I'm more interested in songs

This is amp has the tone i like this best and its a brutal amp.It could tear your nuts off at 500 meters!

I have only ever used mine with Celestion G12T-75's and i was wondering from the experience of others, what speakers do you use with your MKIII?and why?

How do V30's go with this head?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
They're all fine to use I recon.
your sound will sound like it's right there. bang! it's in the room!

So you might notice stuff like mids and HONK and reduced gain, etc...
cause you are going back to an earlier speaker and it's sound.

I think the 75's make a better sound tail if you know what I mean. more 3D sound is in the room. the V30's being kinda 2D in comparison.

If you want to do Vai sounds, then go for the V30's. If you run the 75's you might get a MacAlpine types of sounds with the same dial settings on the amp.

Good luck!

Masliko

Reaction score
They're all fine to use I recon.
your sound will sound like it's right there. bang! it's in the room!

So you might notice stuff like mids and HONK and reduced gain, etc...
cause you are going back to an earlier speaker and it's sound.

I think the 75's make a better sound tail if you know what I mean. more 3D sound is in the room. the V30's being kinda 2D in comparison.

If you want to do Vai sounds, then go for the V30's. If you run the 75's you might get a MacAlpine types of sounds with the same dial settings on the amp.

Good luck!
that's what i thought.thanks mate.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
One option is to run both in the same cab. V30's are a more efficient speaker, and are going to sound louder than the 75's. I ran V30's on top and 75's on the bottom (due their low end), and it sounded good. I didn't like the sound as well running them in an "X" pattern. I will say that a stock V30 has a treble spike that some don't like, but that's why they cut well. The 75's have a high end sizzle that I didn't care for. I now run Hellatone 60L's, which are a broken-in 55Hz version of the V30, a mellower speaker.

Adrian R

Reaction score
One option is to run both in the same cab. V30's are a more efficient speaker, and are going to sound louder than the 75's. I ran V30's on top and 75's on the bottom (due their low end), and it sounded good. I didn't like the sound as well running them in an "X" pattern. I will say that a stock V30 has a treble spike that some don't like, but that's why they cut well. The 75's have a high end sizzle that I didn't care for. I now run Hellatone 60L's, which are a broken-in 55Hz version of the V30, a mellower speaker.

Right on! I HIGHLY recommend mixing them with V30s as illustrated above. The V30s will allow the amp to really show it's stuff in them glorious mid range frequencies...allowing the player to express far more efficiently...

I went one step further and mixed them with GK-85s which are similar to the 75s frequency wise, but even more powerful with the 100oz magnets...

mk2 steve

Reaction score
I used mine with an X pattern of WGS ET65s and Veteran 30s and it sounded great. I used it a few times with Celestion V30s and personally didn't like it as much. These were in both a Mesa and Orange 4x12 though, so YMMV.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I've used my MKIII wth 75s, V30s, and greenbacks. I thought they all sounded good. I only ditched my v30 cab because a good deal came up on a greenback cab. I think the V30 is a little tighter speaker than a greenback. I use greenbacks now because I like the extra crunch greenies seem to bring.

Kladen

Reaction score
G12h 30 55 hz \m/ g12t 75 sounds cool as well

The_Rocker

Reaction score
I used to play a JCM900 2100 MK.III a couple of years ago and it was a beast. Had an extremely raw and ripping sound. I only had the first gain nob up to 10 and the second knob on 0. I then boosted it with a tubescreamer.

Tear your face off is what comes to mind. But it is purely and simply a great hard rock amp, nothing less. It didn't feel very responsive to me, just face ripping or nothing...

Masliko

Reaction score
I used to play a JCM900 2100 MK.III a couple of years ago and it was a beast. Had an extremely raw and ripping sound. I only had the first gain nob up to 10 and the second knob on 0. I then boosted it with a tubescreamer.

Tear your face off is what comes to mind. But it is purely and simply a great hard rock amp, nothing less. It didn't feel very responsive to me, just face ripping or nothing...
Yep,that is what it will be used for ! These amps are to played in a band situation,they dont have a lot of bass(nor should it)for this reason.That's the bass players job,and they can do it better.These Marshall's are pure precision midrange,to cut through the drums,vocals and bass and they do it perfectly IMO.

Last edited:

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep,that is what it will be used for ! These amps are to played in a band situation,they dont have a lot of bass(nor should it)for this reason.That's the bass players job,and they can do it better.These Marshall's are pure precision midrange,to cut through the drums,vocals and bass and they do it perfectly IMO.

Just thought I should say, and muddy the waters, that both of my 900s - seems to me - can produce LOTS of bass.

I don't know why. And I know it's going against received wisdom to mention it...

GKR1

Reaction score
Once you go 12H65's you will never go back to V30 or 75s. I currently use 75s. I used my mates cab with 65s and I was floored with my 2100 EL34. They are the best IMHO. I take the 75s over V30s if used with your 900 head.

Masliko

Reaction score
Just thought I should say, and muddy the waters, that both of my 900s - seems to me - can produce LOTS of bass.

I don't know why. And I know it's going against received wisdom to mention it...
Are they the 5881 model's?they were alot more bassy than the EL34 ones IMO.I have never owned the 5881 models,just the EL34 models.

Latest posts