Questions for late 70's early 80's 800's

• Thread starter Rodical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rodical

Reaction score
What am I looking for, looking at Reverb online, they show a 78 JMP, 82 JCM and a Jerry King sig... All 800s... Sound, the OEM, or is just buying an 2203x for a lesser price just as good... I want to make a good purchase, but need some guidance on this buy... Listed below is what I'm interested in...

1978 Marshall JMP MK2 Master Lead 100 Watt Head Vert Inputs 2203 - 4 Outputs Amp Drake Daly

original 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2203 100 watt head that was owned by Tim Pierce.

Marshall JCM800 2203KK Kerry King Signature

Rodical

Reaction score
What am I looking for, looking at Reverb online, they show a 78 JMP, 82 JCM and a Jerry King sig... All 800s... Sound, the OEM, or is just buying an 2203x for a lesser price just as good... I want to make a good purchase, but need some guidance on this buy... Listed below is what I'm interested in...

1978 Marshall JMP MK2 Master Lead 100 Watt Head Vert Inputs 2203 - 4 Outputs Amp Drake Daly

original 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2203 100 watt head that was owned by Tim Pierce.

Marshall JCM800 2203KK Kerry King Signature
So after listening to a 78 JMP, I like the early 80's sound, tone better...

V-man

Reaction score
JMPs- most collectable/classic (arguably) least consistent. People claim they are smoother and rounder than JCMs.

JCM (early VI) - to/through ‘84 these should be identical to the JMPs except for the cosmetics (JCM headshell cab). Again, inconsistencies between individual amps may make them appear to sound better/worse than.

JCM (late HI) Horizontal inputs happened ‘84-‘85 and they did this cheap mounting of the PCBs to the pots instead of the chassis. The filtration was different. The sound is slightly different. Some say inferior, but that is subjective… and we are back to individual amps sounding better/worse than others.

2203X shares DNA with JVMs... modern approximation of the JCM 800. A number of owners say definitely “close enough”. Others say “not as good”. Hard to quantify subjective opinions of a smaller sample, but parts/transformers are not what the originals used. It has an FX loop unlike ALL others. That is a major perk… only their loops are notorious for sucking and becoming so problematic they must be removed or replaced.

2203ZW it’s a fucking 2203X. Nothing special at all other than cosmetics and rarity to Zakk Wylde fans.

2203KK This is the most brutal Marshall IMO/IME. Has a great Noise Gate and gain boost. While it shares DNA with JVM/2203X it has no FX loop. Not only that, it has only one input, killing 1/3-1/2 of what makes this platform great: the pedal platform/clean channel abilities on the low input. It wipes the floor w other Marshalls in the “stock gain” category but then they all kick its ass with lower gain/clean shit, making this a complete 1-trick pony (that a regular 2203 and a Hot Mod can compete with). Foreskin ugly graphics (not really digging ZW cosmetics either TBH) and failure-prone tactile switches with no footswitch ability. You either buy, live and die by its one-trick ability or move far away from this one.

there you go.

Rodical

Reaction score
JMPs- most collectable/classic (arguably) least consistent. People claim they are smoother and rounder than JCMs.

JCM (early VI) - to/through ‘84 these should be identical to the JMPs except for the cosmetics (JCM headshell cab). Again, inconsistencies between individual amps may make them appear to sound better/worse than.

JCM (late HI) Horizontal inputs happened ‘84-‘85 and they did this cheap mounting of the PCBs to the pots instead of the chassis. The filtration was different. The sound is slightly different. Some say inferior, but that is subjective… and we are back to individual amps sounding better/worse than others.

2203X shares DNA with JVMs... modern approximation of the JCM 800. A number of owners say definitely “close enough”. Others say “not as good”. Hard to quantify subjective opinions of a smaller sample, but parts/transformers are not what the originals used. It has an FX loop unlike ALL others. That is a major perk… only their loops are notorious for sucking and becoming so problematic they must be removed or replaced.

2203ZW it’s a fucking 2203X. Nothing special at all other than cosmetics and rarity to Zakk Wylde fans.

2203KK This is the most brutal Marshall IMO/IME. Has a great Noise Gate and gain boost. While it shares DNA with JVM/2203X it has no FX loop. Not only that, it has only one input, killing 1/3-1/2 of what makes this platform great: the pedal platform/clean channel abilities on the low input. It wipes the floor w other Marshalls in the “stock gain” category but then they all kick its ass with lower gain/clean shit, making this a complete 1-trick pony (that a regular 2203 and a Hot Mod can compete with). Foreskin ugly graphics (not really digging ZW cosmetics either TBH) and failure-prone tactile switches with no footswitch ability. You either buy, live and die by its one-trick ability or move far away from this one.

there you go.
Very cool. Thanks for the input V-Man...

Frank52387

Reaction score
I have an 81 2203 and it was (still is) awesome. But once I installed a Hot Mod, it was face melting.

The Hot Mod is crazy. It took the amp to a place no pedal could get it.

It’s a great amp, clean, crunch, ect.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

there you go.
“There you go”,… is right bro,……. In a nut shell!

Great post @V-man, facts, wrapped in the vastness and unlimitedness of subjectivity!

Omeganaught

Reaction score
Late 70’s 2204 (50w) or 2203 (100w) seem to be favored. I have no real basis for comparison, except that my brother has an early 80’s JCM800 combo and I’ve got a ‘77 2204. They both sound great!

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the rest, but I knew when I was shopping for the "my sound" amp I preferred the JMP over the JCM simply due to the better collectability down the road. I have a '78 2204 and it is an absolute beast of an amp. I do however for smaller gigs use my '83 JCM 800 4210 with a 1933 extension cabinet. it takes up less property on the stage. it is as well an absolute beast and with 6 guys on the stage stage property is valuable.

Latest posts