Questions for those who’ve owned multiple vintage or classic Marshalls…

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ajtonly1

Reaction score
I own two 68/69 Plexi Super Basses. Returned one to stock specs the other is superlead voiced but no bright caps. They compliment each other

I prefer super basses because the cleans are so thick and creamy. I know it sounds cliche but once I got one I understood why a lot of players I idolized as a kid used a super B . It fills a sonic void

Plexitim

Reaction score
I am sure there are about as many opinions on best sounding Marshall, as there are Marshall owners.

I've been fortunate in having had the opportunity to own a number of older ones. To my ears my all time favorite was a 1982, JCM 800 2204 with Master Volume, angle cab and Celestion 65 watt speakers.

I have no idea what the components were that added up to the near magical sound. What I do know is that in my past I had owned five of these at different times in 1982-1983 era and there was not a wimpy sounding 2204 amp among them. Somewhat darker sounding that the 2203 100 watters and woody (tonally), very musical. To me the early '80's 50 watt 2204's deliver the tone and the crunch.

Trem man

Reaction score
I've owned a '66 18 watt 2-12, an 80's 4104 2-12 combo, an '86 2204S, an '86 2203 and an 80's Plexi 100 watt RI. I know nothing about the components other than Drake trannys, correct speakers, etc. All were really good. FWIW I've kept the 2204S and replaced the '66 18 watt with a Blankenship Leeds 21 head. I'd love to have a small box 50 watt Plexi or master volume head, pre 1974.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a '76 JMP 1987, '78 JMP 1959, and I currently own a '78 JMP 2204 and '81 JCM 800 4210. I loved playing them all, but I believe my favorite is the '78 2204. if for no other reason, its the one JMP I have acquired with the pre-amp cascaded to the master. I get the best of both worlds in this head.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Which one was/is your favorite? Why? What do you know about values of the components in that amp, its transformers, mods, or anything else that affected the tone?

I’m just curious because I’m about to receive my first vintage Marshall, and I have a feeling it won’t be my last. I want to learn about what makes different vintages sound different, how those differences change the tone, and how to spot the differences. Thanks, folks!
Which vintage Marshall are you talking about? You caught m a a frustrated moment - I loved my last 2204 the best. Super clean DEAD STOCK '86. I tried a small mod but put it back like it was. Should never have sold it. I didn't care about component values when it sounded like it should, was perfect. The frustrating part is that I now have a Granger 50w Plexi that's supposed to be simply a 1987 with a master and pull boost, but there are no sweet clear stock tones like the Marshall reissues in it and I can't figure out why. I took it to a guy but he just got it part of the way there. The whole mod thing can just be a mess. If you have to mod it, I wouldn't go any further than a good master volume if it's a four input model. If it's a 2204/3, just leave it.

WesChilton

Reaction score
I too was born in 1966, and consider myself a child of the 70s and 80s.... for me the classic Marshall tone has always been the JCM800. Even the guys I played in rock bands with in high school had that amp. Being older and more savvy now, I do love the sound of a 1959 too. A couple of years ago I picked up a 1976 JMP 2203 and had a good tech return it to stock. I couldn't be happier!

Maybe one day I will buy a 1959x HW... :)

turfdoc

Reaction score
I prefer my 4211 "1989 production', (100 watt combo) for my 335 and strats. Something about the way the chambers in those guitars 'breath' when the volume goes up. But then I've had hearing problems ever since I plugged my 335 in during a gig and some idiot cranked my volume to 10 when I wasnt looking. It blew a hole right through me and half the crowd out front.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which vintage Marshall are you talking about? You caught m a a frustrated moment - I loved my last 2204 the best. Super clean DEAD STOCK '86. I tried a small mod but put it back like it was. Should never have sold it. I didn't care about component values when it sounded like it should, was perfect. The frustrating part is that I now have a Granger 50w Plexi that's supposed to be simply a 1987 with a master and pull boost, but there are no sweet clear stock tones like the Marshall reissues in it and I can't figure out why. I took it to a guy but he just got it part of the way there. The whole mod thing can just be a mess. If you have to mod it, I wouldn't go any further than a good master volume if it's a four input model. If it's a 2204/3, just leave it.
Sorry to hear about your frustration. I ended up getting a ‘72 1987. I have no plans to mod it, it’s a beautiful sounding amp. And I usually don’t hesitate to mod my equipment. With this amp, all I need is an overdrive out front and my attenuator and it gives me the best tones I’ve ever had. Still, I’m curious about Marshalls from different time periods, and people’s experience with them.

Derrick111

Reaction score
As both someone who has owned/played a plethora of vintage/classic Marshalls, and someone who has repaired/restored them professionally, I think that the main contributors to what makes different vintages sound different are the design refinements along the way, the parts used, the tolerances of the parts, and the state of their servicing. The state of their servicing is not just if the amp was or was not serviced, it's HOW it was serviced! This is a big one. What tubes were used? What is the bias point used? Did they factor the B+ into the equation? Did they check for any improper repairs along the way or any parts that are not in spec? I focus on the servicing of all the points mentioned because most people don't get this quite right if at all. You can't assume a replaced part that came with your Marshall is the correct value or best part for the job. You can't assume anything really. I go through them and clean up and correct anything that is not stock Marshall factory done, on top of everything else. Are you checking to see if your amplifier is operating in the correct voltage range? Just check that your 6.3v heater voltages are withing the tolerance of the tubes being used for the answer. You can bias an amp "correctly", but have all sorts of issues operating the amplifier if your voltages are not in the zone as I like to call it.I want to point out too, that I always try to keep as much original as possible and that is usually never an issue as the only parts that really need to go are the filter caps or any of the tubes that are worn. I don't just replace those indiscriminately either, I do it on case by case basis based on several factors. The resistors, the signal caps, hardly ever go bad and stay original along with any other parts.

What does all of this mean? Well, you find the era (design) you like the sound of the best, you properly service it to sound its best which will also keep it reliable, and understand that two of the same amps with close serial numbers can still have some sound differences just due to parts tolerances and brands used. Fun stuff. Open your wallet wide to get in the vintage Marshall game 😜

Omeganaught

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the cascaded pre-amp mid/late 70's 2204 50W master volume and early 80's vertical holes JCM 800. My '77 JMP 2204 produces, to my ear, exactly what is Marshall classic rock tone at more manageable volume than the 1987 or 1959 circuits.

Bruce

Reaction score
Which one was/is your favorite? Why? What do you know about values of the components in that amp, its transformers, mods, or anything else that affected the tone?

I’m just curious because I’m about to receive my first vintage Marshall, and I have a feeling it won’t be my last. I want to learn about what makes different vintages sound different, how those differences change the tone, and how to spot the differences. Thanks, folks!
I bought my first Marshall, a 1959 w/4x12 cab in 1971. I still have this amp and cab and use it. I have multiple Marshalls, Febders, Seymour Duncans, Hughes and Kettners, Boogies...none of those amps give me the range of tone that I can get from this old amp. It's been around the US a few times with me, dropped, ridden hard but still offers sweet cleans at a lower volume and beautiful crunch when pushed.

jmp45

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your frustration. I ended up getting a ‘72 1987. I have no plans to mod it, it’s a beautiful sounding amp. And I usually don’t hesitate to mod my equipment. With this amp, all I need is an overdrive out front and my attenuator and it gives me the best tones I’ve ever had. Still, I’m curious about Marshalls from different time periods, and people’s experience with them.

Agree.. I have a 69 small box 1987. It would be crazy to mod.. I had a 73 59 super lead stack in the early 70s, no mods, glorious.. Now, I have a 96 SLP, no loop. I removed the bright cap, did the same with my 2204. Did that to save hearing and they roar as they should. I have a 72 Major, reverted back all the mods to original, good as is. Favorites? 69 Small Box and 96 1959.

Adoom

Reaction score
I've only owned 1 Marshall because, honestly I've only needed one Marshall. I have a JMP 50 and it's all the amp I've ever needed. Played outdoor festivals, they just mic me anyway, played in small clubs, it's too damn loud. I've kept all of my gear that I've accumulated over 40 odd years of playing (some more odd than others) and I've considered selling my cab several times, but I think I'll have my ashes buried in my JMP when I die. I'm considering getting a small VOX combo because, frankly, I'm tired of carrying a half stack everywhere. My heart is in it, my back says no more.

obx351

Reaction score
About 13 or 14 years ago I bought my first vintage Marshall, an early '73, made in March, JMP 50. It is one of the last hand wired JMPs. It was big, loud and had the Marshall "honk". It was my primary amp for about 4 years until my buddy sold me his '68 JMP 50 with a same year 8x10 cab and a '70 4x12 straight cab with a matched set of pulsonic cone lead greenbacks that was the best sounding cab he owned. This became and is still my "go to" amp. A few years later I purchased a '73 Park 75. Talk about an amp that can scare women and small children. It's HUGE sounding and the loudest amp I own.

A couple of years later I had my amp guy, Burk Hunn with Hunn Amplification, build me a '64 JTM 45 and a '66 Black Flag JTM 50 with vintage parts, vintage tubes and custom vintage spec correct parts. Both have a PPIMV dial in the back, and the Black Flag has two rectifiers, tube and ss, that are switchable. It really gives the amp some great tone. I also had him build a slant cab and with 4x matched '71 original pulsonic cone lead greenbacks. The cab is a convertible so I can take a mid panel out to make it open or keep it closed. I play it open. Lastly I had Burke build me a 18 watt JTM 50'esq combo with a '70 pulsonic lead greenback. It also has a PPIMV. It's an absolute beast for how small it is. I've lent it out a few times to friends for gigs and all of them asked for first right of refusal if I ever sell it.

I cover a lot of Marshall sounds with these amps. But I mostly play the '68 and occasionally the combo when I go out. I don't use pedals because if I want more gain I go to one of my '73s. The black flag is my second favorite amp but it's not quite as good as the '68 so it and the '64 end up as jam amp when people come over to play. I've come to find that I prefer a SS rectifier than a tube rectifier. It's tighter and a bit more crisp. I love a tube rectifier for rhythm and believe me, it also sounds great for lead, I just prefer the tightness of the SS rectifier.

My final thoughts. To me, the '68 JMT 50 is the ultimate Marshall amp ever made. It takes pedals very well and you can really change tone with a good boost or distortion pedal. It doesn't have the headroom of a JTM 100 but if I need headroom/clean sound, I just roll back the guitar vol, like when I play La Grange.

73 marshall and park small.jpgmarshalls 2 small.jpgguitar room3 small.jpg

Last edited:

BijouDrains

Reaction score
I've only owned 1 Marshall because, honestly I've only needed one Marshall. I have a JMP 50 and it's all the amp I've ever needed. Played outdoor festivals, they just mic me anyway, played in small clubs, it's too damn loud. I've kept all of my gear that I've accumulated over 40 odd years of playing (some more odd than others) and I've considered selling my cab several times, but I think I'll have my ashes buried in my JMP when I die. I'm considering getting a small VOX combo because, frankly, I'm tired of carrying a half stack everywhere. My heart is in it, my back says no more.
I’m right there with you. Two words come to mind: “flightcase” and “casters” ;-)

marcos69

Reaction score
I have an early 80's Canadian JCM 800 - 100 watt (the one that the fabric faded to a light brown). Has a real nice warm tone to it. It was my favorite gigging amp for years. And it has a Master volume.
I have a '77 JMP Superlead - 100 watt. It does not have a Master volume , so is kind of useless without an attentuator (I use a THD Hot Plate). But there is something about that amp. It has these harmonic overtones to die for.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Do you think there’s something about the late 70’s vintage? Or was your preference more because it was a Super Bass?

I’ve played that SB and a couple of master volume series amps. I have not played a late 70’s Superlead but I did play a 1976 50 watt lead.

I think that there is just something that they were using around 77-79 that sounded great, because I haven’t played or heard an amp from those years that didn’t sound good or feel great. But I’ve played my ‘71 and an original 60’s 100 watter (JTM) and the late 70’s amps felt better. A lot of people are going to say that’s blasphemy but oh well.

SLA

Reaction score
Hi,

I think a lot depends on where your heart beats. Jimi Hendrix was a big influence on me, but being born in 1966, I'm a child of the '80s crossover myself, hence the JCM 800. But beware of old dreams. Should I lug this thing around and wait? Can I play it where I play the most, maybe at home? I recently bought an Amp1 BluGuitar Iridium. I still can't form a definitive opinion, other than maybe that it can't replace an old Marshall, but it definitely sounds better than amp sims for my needs and certainly better than many newer, real amps, too. But yes, I would get these if everything was perfect, 1. a JCM 800 and 2. one close to Jimi Hendrix. Collecting amps like stamps wouldn't be my thing, even if I could. A third amp from another company for clean sounds would be nice, too.

My 2 cents,
Ralf
I also play most at home and thats why I sold my last big boy Marshall and bought 2 Marshall studio 20 combos, one classic and one vintage. They are strong enough for most situations and sound great. Using a home made volume-control in the loop for the vintage20 works fine. But yeah..I will always miss my last jmp2203. but for home use the smaller amps sound better..and are the first "small amps" I tried wish could do that. I tried them out for months before selling the last big marshall wich were an jmp 2204, great amp also but less bass then an 2203..tighter, thats reaaly were you could here the differens of an bigger trafo.
If I would get a stack again today and only could have one amp, I would go for the JTM45 or an 1987 reissue. With all the great pedals out today I gett all the tones I want.

Last edited:

Latest posts