Questions On Marshall 6101 Master Volume Problems.

• Thread starter greenghost1964
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

greenghost1964

Reaction score
I just figured out how to start a new thread............I had asked earlier on a reply. Just got in a 6101 (BLUE) and matching 1-12 cabinet On the amp, the master volume knob sounds real dirty/scratch-ly. To the point where the volume drops and comes back up.............pops the speaker when it comes back loud.....I don't know if just a dirty pot....but it really doesn't do it on the other 2 channels. I just purchased it, so I don't know the it sat in a closet for years w/o playing/etc....it's in mint shape with covers and all, looks well taken care of...any suggestions to the problem?? Thanks in advance

anitoli

Reaction score
Does this do this through the whole range of the of travel on channel one or is it just at the beginning of travel?

greenghost1964

Reaction score
It sounded like at the beginning of travel...........BUT this amp is SO loud (haha) I didn't get to far from the 0 setting......I will try it today to see. I did set the power level down......and I will turn down the channel volume too....I really only notice it on channel 3. I'll check it out and get back on here. Thanks

Jr Deluxe

Reaction score
You have 2 options. Pull the knob off and try some caig fader cleaner spray or have a tech replace the pot. The first option will cost maybe 12 or 15 bucks. In the end you will have to take it to a tech. Im guessing a cerified guy will charge for a hour of bench time $95.

anitoli

Reaction score
You can't get spray cleaner to penetrate the pot from the front. You can remove the chassis and spray it into the pots opening and then work it a bunch of times but it more than likely is a worn out pot at that travel area. I have replaced a few of those.

Actually if you choose to do the clean it route do all of the pots and jacks, won't hurt anything.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes open and clean em all!! I had issues with mine on the fx mix control and one of the channel volumes. Set your channel volumes lower so you can turn it up. Spray DeOxyit into pot as anitoli suggested and rotate it a bunch. If you want to see that it's working, you can have tha amp ON when you do this, just be sure the speaker is attached and DO NOT touch anything else.
Great little amp! It likely sat too long not being used.

greenghost1964

Reaction score
question what is the normal price ya'll see-ing on the 6101's....white emblem/BLUE??? Just curious if I got a good deal...........................for some of the prices I see, $2700-4700 on the brass emblem one's.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Really depends on the market where you live. Could be very different than here.
4700 is ludicrous. Completely. I paid 950 CDN for mine like 4 years ago.
I REALLY like mine, partly because of the small footprint. Found a blue 6912 cab and have a great little stack. It's really worth whatever you're willing to pay that someone else is willing to accept.

greenghost1964

Reaction score
true.....well I've been looking for the 6101 for a while, surely not many I've seen around here, and I look ed at ebay, reverb.com, guitar center websites daily for the last few months. I've been out of gigging since 1996 and really just getting back into playing now...so I thought the combo/1-12 ext. cabinet would be easier to toke around if/when I would start to gig. I have a 4203 Artist 30 & a 1936 cabinet too which I love, but wanted to start picking up all the 30th Anv. series stuff. (in blue)

greenghost1964

Reaction score
was acting better tonight....sounded better too....it just may have sat up too long....I didn't know if it had some prone problems/etc.....all the heads I had/have never had a issue. Well if it don't measure up......I just sell it.......cos I know there was like what 200 made?? lol

anitoli

Reaction score
The biggest problem that the 6100/6101's have is when the MIDI chip, more specifically the 27C64 UVEPROM goes south. This can be caused by a tube short, and i say can because it doesn't always fail if a tube goes bad. What makes this a problem is Marshall no longer makes this part. To my knowledge i am the only person that can supply the programed EPROM because i do them myself. Check out my site in my sig. If you ever have issues with the MIDI or channel switching i got you covered.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
was acting better tonight....sounded better too....it just may have sat up too long....I didn't know if it had some prone problems/etc.....all the heads I had/have never had a issue. Well if it don't measure up......I just sell it.......cos I know there was like what 200 made?? lol
Won't measure up? It needs some pot cleaning. Check the bias. Maybe needs tubes. Standard stuff. They are not prone to any major malfunctions outside the occasional MIDI board. You've got a gem there, hold on to it!!

Latest posts