Quick Video of Modded JCM800

• Thread starter Belensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    jcm800
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
So good friend of mine borrowed me this JCM 800, so have a bit of fun and make quick demo.

Playing starts at 0:52.

This is a bit unusual Marshall It was Heavily modified by Salvation Audio, it has a lot of gain, 6550 powertubes, old 80's Drake Transformer and a lot of components replaced. Recorded through Bogner 4x12 cab with Celestion T75 speakers, AKG C414 and Royer R121 microphones. guitar is 1959 Reissue Les Paul. tiny bit of modulation and delay is by Eventide H3000, reverb by Lexicon PCM91, NO PEDALS IN FRONT OF FX LOOP

Damn bro that sounds amazing!! I love the tone and that pull-pot on the pre-amp is slick - keeps the look of a stock 800.

Belensky

Reaction score
It sounds pretty good.

There is less delay and reverb in there than other guys use.

I notice the effects.

I do not like it when they tell its just guitar into amplifier. Then claim there are no effects when I know damn well I hear effects.

I was trying to have a little bit of effects just the way you would have them in produced record, there is not many records with ABSOLUTELY dry tone, usually it's dry amp with tiny bit of post processing: plate reverb, stereo modulation etc, often it's not even noticeable unless you turn them off, and it's sound dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW

Belensky

Reaction score
moreover guitar on video has unpotted PAF pickups, so it could give more reverb like tone, even without any reverb.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I was trying to have a little bit of effects just the way you would have them in produced record, there is not many records with ABSOLUTELY dry tone, usually it's dry amp with some tiny bit of post processing, some plate reverb, stereo modulation etc, sometimes it's not even noticeable unless you turn them off.
There are NO EP recordings, in the last 50 years or so, without effects.

I notice them because I know what dry tone sounds like. I know what added effects sound like.
I always start with a base sound from an amplifier. It has a specific capability and cannot go beyond that. I then start adding and editing effects. I listen with and without. I edit more. I compare before and after. You do that enough and you tend to learn what is what.

Kelia

Reaction score
And that is what I have been saying all along. I want to hear both but you have to include the dry amplifier sound. The dry sound is the base of any tone recipe.

And for crying out loud play the same damn thing over and over for the sake of comparison.
Afterwards feel free shred or go wild.

I can add any amount of effect(s) wanted to make my amplifier sound like anything else, dry or wet. The base sound of the amplifier lets you know how far it can take you, what it does not need as well as what else might be needed.
Agreed !

This guy has no delay but did a great job at showing the amp without drive and then with it .
Now I need to try an SD1...Damm!

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Personally I'd rather hear amp demos with both... dry, and then with a little delay and/or reverb to hear the amp at its true potential. I think a lot of dry demos can sound overly dull vs what you hear in the room. Some amount of processing can help balance that out.

I think the reason is a lot of amps are being demonstrated with like 12 effects pedals including distortion and boost...
But we're not really hearing what the amp sounds like. We're hearing a bunch of effects pedals.
So we really have no clue what the actual sound of the amp is...to be fair.

Personally I don't use distortion or boost pedals. I look for an amp that sounds good all by itself.
And this is how I judge how good an amp really is: plug straight in and play.

But those who do use distortion pedals - will probably be better off with a clean amp.