R.I.P Jeff Beck

• Thread starter Harlequin tusk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Saw his birthday concert in London a few years ago. My main thought was 'if he's playing the guitar I don't know what the hell I'm doing'. Just can't believe he's gone. This will be a difficult one to get my head around.
Just recently I've been going deep into 'cause we've ended as lovers'. There's so much subltety and nuance and soul in there. Taught me loads. Which I'll never be able to put into use to any degree because I'm just flat not good enough.
Damn.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Funny - I've always "known" and respected Jeff as one of the top level Pantheon greats, but have not knowingly been exposed to much of his music. I've seriously missed out, as friends and co-worker who know I play a little guitar have been sending me links. RIP, Jeff Beck - you were amazing and I only wish I had sought out your music sooner.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
I'm in utter disbelief. Total shock.

He was a huge influence on me. I'm so glad I got to see him many years ago in support of the Who Else! album.

R.I.P. Jeff.
Hey Monsters, Listening to Who Else right now! Great album! Best show I saw was at Jones Beach with Santana, right after Jerry Garcia died, Jeff played the whole Guitar Shop album, sounded just like the album, which i thought was all overdubs, but he played it all live, no one, but no one other than Hendrix could coax those sounds outta a Strat, no one.....

Last edited:

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
was blasting his Wired album all day yesterday (I just so happen to have a used copy of this on vinyl)... love that record. will be cranking Beck-Ola, Truth, and Blow By Blow over the next few days... so majorly bummed about his passing... R.I.P., Mr. Beck. you were truly one of the G.O.A.T.'s.

my ex-brother in law mentioned to me yesterday that all of the rocker guys from that era are pretty old, and we're probably gonna see a lot of them kick the bucket over the next few years. as a guitarist myself, it got me thinking about all the iconic British guitarists that came up around the 60's, and continued to be pioneers in their art... guys like:

Tony Iommi, Jimmy Page, Brian May, Keith Richards & Ron Wood, Peter Frampton, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton... who else did I miss?.. of course it goes without saying that I hope these guys stick around for at least another decade or two, at the very least.

Last edited:

10kDA

Reaction score
Wow, this was unexpected and sad news. RIP Jeff Beck, an amazing innovator and unique individual. He never kept the same lineup very long, and he always surrounded himself with musicians who had unique approaches too. His ability to bring out the best in his band members made every iteration sound fresh and vital. So many great players in those bands! And even if Jeff Beck is gone, his body of work will ensure his immortality.
I remember seeing Beck a couple of times in the mid-70s, once with his band which included Max on the bill with Mahavishnu Orchestra, and once with Jan Hammer Group on the same bill as Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac and ex-Sha Na Na member one-hit wonder Henry Gross. I could understand McLaughlin's reputation as the most capable technical guitarist of the time, and I could tell he filled his playing with soul and emotion, but the thing that struck me was that Beck was so very close in technique, yet was more innovative in many ways, and he was having fun while he was doing it. McLaughlin didn't seem to be having any fun. The show with Jan Hammer was unreal, the two of them back and forth, that was when I realized how important it is to pay attention to what everybody else in the band is playing, and play something complementary.
Rod Stewart said he was on another planet. That's pretty close.

p3x

Reaction score
A true master never satisfied with his playing level.
Always seeking new playing methods/techniques that could imitate a soft, heavenly voice or the heaviest Blues/Fusion/Jazz/R&R all in one song at will. Saw him three times; became my favorite living guitarist.

RIP Jeff

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Truly ONE OF THE GREATEST EVER! RIP Mr. Beck!

I've been jamming to Ozzy's new stuff including JB...so sad...he will be missed sorely.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Wow, this was unexpected and sad news. RIP Jeff Beck, an amazing innovator and unique individual. He never kept the same lineup very long, and he always surrounded himself with musicians who had unique approaches too. His ability to bring out the best in his band members made every iteration sound fresh and vital. So many great players in those bands! And even if Jeff Beck is gone, his body of work will ensure his immortality.
I remember seeing Beck a couple of times in the mid-70s, once with his band which included Max on the bill with Mahavishnu Orchestra, and once with Jan Hammer Group on the same bill as Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac and ex-Sha Na Na member one-hit wonder Henry Gross. I could understand McLaughlin's reputation as the most capable technical guitarist of the time, and I could tell he filled his playing with soul and emotion, but the thing that struck me was that Beck was so very close in technique, yet was more innovative in many ways, and he was having fun while he was doing it. McLaughlin didn't seem to be having any fun. The show with Jan Hammer was unreal, the two of them back and forth, that was when I realized how important it is to pay attention to what everybody else in the band is playing, and play something complementary.
Rod Stewart said he was on another planet. That's pretty close.
When I saw the birthday show there was a stream of guest musicians - one of whom was John Mclaughlin. They were oviously great mates but they went toe to toe in one number. We all said that Beck took everything JM threw at him, Beck-ised it and threw it back better.
Just watched the report on the BBC news. I got surprisingly emotional. Bummer.

BluezMe

Reaction score
Who's going to take over as the "greatest living guitarist"?
Couldn't Agree more... just kept pushing the creative envelope and staying extremely relevant with a knack for finding incredible Musicians to backup and compliment him... or share Top Dog spot with Jan Hammer
Might have been his version of People Get Get Ready... but reviewed some video of his... (over and over) and counted something like 17 different techniques used (picking.. left hand fingering.. whammy Bar) in one song.

Was lucky to have seen BBA... and for those who don't know... Jeff and Rod Stewart were going to join up with Bogart and Appice... (have to make mention here what a great Player and Contributor to what Drove those Early Beck recordings.. Ronnie Wood's Bass Playing)... then Beck's car accident Nixed that... Stewart went with the Small Faces and B&A formed Cactus which is still one of my Favorite first 3 album Bands

And the result of all that... Blow by Blow... Wired... etc.. etc... a whole new direction into Instrumental Guitar Virtuosity.

Found this Beck Guitar collection video. Turns out... not using a Pick was not an "evolution'... just Jeff retuning to his Roots.
(point of clarification on his Strat... when an Englishman speaks of getting Nicked... it's not meant Scratched... he's suggesting Stolen )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMl5B6eq9as&list=RDVMl5B6eq9as&start_radio=1&rv=VMl5B6eq9as&t=106

I think Joe speaks for a lot of us here in this short Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBiU_KT_eII

All credit to Jeff but... Ronnie Wood's Earth Shaking Bass Lines... Mickey Waller's Rock "Swing" on Drums.. and for anyone who doesn't appreciate Rod Stewart... give a listen to Old Man River on Truth... Just an Incredible Lineup... and what a way to really introduce yourself to the Consuming Public as the Main Man.

A Curious Footnote... it's my understanding... this "Lineup" was Booked to play Woodstock... then Jeff disbanded it prior.... was well known Micky Waller had a Fear of Flying... but who knows the Reason for not Playing. Probably more like... Jeff was already planning his next move forward.

Just know... what little video Footage of this Lineup is so very limited... what little there is... is poor quality video "spliced" over Audio.

Last edited:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Another great photo of Jeff with Jack Bruce and Ronnie Wood.
FmObhavXwAYHfZ4

Sustainium

Reaction score
RIP!

What a huge name in the industry and I realized I know zero of his music that I can think of. Only mega guitarist I can’t think of a lick. Maybe it’s me, I’m no spring chicken either.

BluezMe

Reaction score
I realized I know zero of his music that I can think of
This is an Excellent Dissection showing and explaining Techniques Jeff uses that set him far above others... Turning a Guitar into a Singing Voice... Love the guy's analysis.... the Guitar is his Steering Wheel... and the Amp is his Race car. Continually doing 3 things at once with his right hand.
Jeff is the one guy I'll say uses a Tremolo Bar... everyone else... a Whammy Bar

about the 6:00 mark... he brings up a performance from the Famous Ronnie Scott Show... it truly is a Must See

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6ZRstMI-Q

Last edited:

'2204'

Reaction score
I`ve been 'rolling low & pretty much devastated' these past few days concerning Jeff Beck`s passing & so I have been revisiting my favorite LP`s by him for therapy.
He had always said that Strats 'fit' him the best [kinda like Clapton`s quote] but in 1969 was when I was first 'turned on' to Jeff Beck & his fantastic 1968 'Truth' LP [w/ Rod Stewart & Ronnie Wood etc] which was when he was playing the Les Paul [which didn`t last too long].

'Truth' has really great & classic LP for Les Paul tones [& probably thru a Marshall] as well his guitar-playing.

The other day I was listening to this YouTube 'boot copy' of the JBG`s 1968 'live performance'. If you like those classic 'Beano'' vintage tones check out this quick little portion of it. I have queued the video to the little nugget of him wailing a little. His playing is ferocious at times during this performance here during this performance & he even plays the intro to the 'Beverly Hills Show' if anyone here is old enough to remember that funny show--the crowd really loved that!

This is a pretty good & historic 'look' at Jeff Beck back in 1968 as he continued to 'stretch out' as an innovative & fantastic modern electric guitarist.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Horrible news. My favorite Yardbirds guitarist. So sad. :(

I was so lucky to have been able to see him live and even more so to have gotten his autograph.

IJXSwiU.jpg

I2IVcCq.jpg

aDcG5i6.jpg

One of my all-time favorite songs, which, naturally, he closed with:

There will never be another.

R.I.P. Mr. Beck and thank you for sharing your masterful playing with all of us.

vxOEC3S.png