• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

radio interference! GRRR!

• Thread starter allwheelz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

allwheelz

Reaction score
So I just started picking up radio interference through the amp but only when ive got my guitars volume on 0. The instant I turn the volume up, even just a hair, the radio fades out. I've had truckers cb's chime in before when they pass with most of my amps so im use to that. But never a radio station. Last time I checked I wanted to hear my amp on a radion station, not the other way around:D. Something I need to check on or is this normal? Plus its TALK RADIO!!!!!

allwheelz

Reaction score
Thanks Micky...my main cable that I use is kinda long now that I think about it...forgot the actual size..i'll try after dinner and let ya know the outcome. Thanks again!!

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Couldnt a bad V1 do this too? Try tappin on the tubes, different cable straight in, different guitar.. Try to narrow it down systematically.

Biddlin

In Memorandum
Reaction score
When I lived in the Oakland hills, I was directly under a radio transmission tower. I regularly heard fire/EMS callouts as well as ATC from a regional airport, on all my electrical communication devices. Solution: I moved and then a few years later the Oakland Hills fire took out the tower(and my old home).
;>)/

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Couldnt a bad V1 do this too? Try tappin on the tubes, different cable straight in, different guitar.. Try to narrow it down systematically.

Could be.

Or any of a couple of dozen other things too :squint:

Something is forming a tuned circuit when the vol pot is turned right down & allowing the rf into the amp. It could be a bad ground, could be the cable length, could be an inductor if there's a wah inline, or a cold solder joint. :shrug:

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
I've told this story before, but a few folks still get a chuckle out of it. In our old house, it was a two story, and there was nowhere dedicated for a studio. I had the gear set up in the master bedroom upstairs. One night I was rocking some 'Crazy Train'....stopped to take a break...then alluva sudden I was hearing a Catholic Mass blaring out of my DSL stack. Scared the shit outta me...playing Ozzy then hearing Mass. I shut that shit down and went downstairs and poured a stiff drink. lololol.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I've told this story before, but a few folks still get a chuckle out of it. In our old house, it was a two story, and there was nowhere dedicated for a studio. I had the gear set up in the master bedroom upstairs. One night I was rocking some 'Crazy Train'....stopped to take a break...then alluva sudden I was hearing a Catholic Mass blaring out of my DSL stack. Scared the shit outta me...playing Ozzy then hearing Mass. I shut that shit down and went downstairs and poured a stiff drink. lololol.
:ugh:
200.gif

NOGE

Reaction score
Try cleaning or re-tensioning the tube socket contacts. Particularly V1. An amp rental company brought me a 2203 that would pick up radio stations. New sockets cleared it up.

60Cycle

Reaction score
Id trade you, I got an old house with dirty electric. I get noise with nothing plugged into any amp but a solid state. Imagine the horror, no white noise unless you use a solid state amp.

allwheelz

Reaction score
only happened once so far..weird....and it was a religious station....but I was jamming along with ten years after "ive been there too". And I was hooked straight in, no pedals. If it happens again i'll try the shorter cable like Mickey said

JonSick

Reaction score
I was playing a gig in the middle of nowhere with a JCM900 full stack. All I was using was a Fender Strat with humbuckers, a tubescreamer and nothing else (no noise suppressor). Being a metal band, it was meant to be all dark and gloomy and all the rest of it.

My amp, with the volume on the guitar off, picked up some sort of news station. And of course being a news station, it was full of doom and gloom reports, excerpts of appeals for missing relatives, people being killed in bomb attacks and all the rest.

It fitted so well into the set, we decided to record a few choice excerpts as a backing tape and use them as intros/outros to certain songs and as general between song filler.

Latest posts