Randall Half Stack

• Thread starter JJ119
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I can go 7 - 800 by December.

you can do much better than that Randall amp with the money you have.
what type music do you play? what are your TRUE wattage needs?
home player? in a current band? live in a apt or a house?

JJ119

Reaction score
Thank You ALL!!

I'm NOT abandoning this Thread.
I gotta get stuff ready for work in the morning.
I'll check in in a while, and then when I get a minute at work.

THANK YOU!!

Torren61

Reaction score

He's just starting out, plays at home, likes 80s music, has a basement and currently has around $600 for his budget. He wants to play now and should have a $700 to $800 budget by December.

We all know the Randall is junk. If you've looked at the links I sent, the MonkeyMatic is a DEAL for under $600 even though he'll need a cab. The quality of Aaron's work speaks for itself. He may be able to get a better deal if he contacts Aaron directly by Googling him and he may have enough left over for a modest 1X12 cab. Yes, saving up until one gets $1500 is a good idea but how can you go wrong with a sub $600 2-5 watt point to point hand wired amp played in your basemen? He can easily sell that and get back his money if he needs to sell.

JJ119

Reaction score
80s Rock & Metal.
Right now in the house.
Friend said he can teach me a lot of rhythm parts with what I have learned, and a few simple lead licks.
He knows I am new, and is going to talk with his Band to see if I can fart around with them once in a while.
They play every thing from 70s to early 2000s.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
All good questions.

The answers will help steer @JJ119 in the right direction.

last thing some people NEED is 100 watts. there are far better choices depending on how i think he will answer these questions than 100 watts. my first 100 was because i thought i need it. really thought i wanted it too.
got it and couldnt even use 90% of it. what a damn bumer too. wasted money. wasted wattage too.
i sure looked cool though lol. it was like owning a corvette but only having a 8th of a mile worth of road.
or a cigarette boat and a 2 acre pond. just useless.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
80s Rock & Metal.
Right now in the house.
Friend said he can teach me a lot of rhythm parts with what I have learned, and a few simple lead licks.
He knows I am new, and is going to talk with his Band to see if I can fart around with them once in a while.
They play every thing from 70s to early 2000s.

no hell no you DONT need 100 watts bro. not even close. why get a amp that powerful to only then have to turn it down?
get a small combo and turn it up, look at the Marshall DSL line of amps. you can get one of those right now
and blow that Randall to hell and back tone wise, value wise, fun factor wise, and they are much better amps.
oh and then take your savings and go get ya a guitar teacher for a few months.
you will be way ahead of the game than the Randall and a friend teaching you a few licks.

Torren61

Reaction score
I had a Jimi Hendrix Signature full stack, number 302. I did NOT sound like Hendrix at all. I could never crank that amp anyway. I traded it in on a JVM 410 half stack. Even with the master volume, STILL too much amp. I have a large stable of amps these days. A few 50 watters, a few 20-30 watters but most of them are under 20 watts. Nearly all of them are point to point wired. I don't sound like Hendrix either.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If playing ability determined the amp I owned, I'd still be aspiring to owning a Lead 12 combo amp. But even though I'm a hack who doesn't have a good practice habit, I have (currently) four vintage Marshall 100 watters and more. Decide what you want and buy it when you're ready to buy it. No other justification is needed. Nobody cares that I would fall flat on my face if forced to play in a public setting. (Forced, because I'd never do it voluntarily.) I still have gear that'd be the envy of a lot of really GOOD players. Simply because I wanted it and when it came along I had the budget for it. No other justifiable reason and no need for one.

You can do the same. Just save up for it and keep your eyes open. And of course, don't hesitate to use any opportunity you can to try out any amp that interests you even if it's currently out of your budget. Because with time and good saving habits, it WILL be in your budget.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Sounds like you're new to guitar and excited etc etc...

I think you should put the half stack fantasy on the back burner and focus on something that will be much more practical which in turn will be more enjoyable. If you want Marshall tone and at your skill level I think you could not go wrong with a DSL40Cr. You will be able to use it as you learn and grow with it AND it's powerful enough that you can use it in a band/gig scenario.

I'll echo that the Randall isn't a great idea... I'll go as far as to say a half stack isn't the best idea right now. I'd say look on the used market as you can get pretty good deals if you keep your eyes open. There are many fantastic amps in your price range, especially used.

If you are stuck on the half stack you should look into the Marshall MG series, I've seen full MG stacks within your budget on Craigslist.

My vote is a DSL tho.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Come to think of it, having a Roland JC120 head and two (rare) Roland 4x12s to go along with it would be fun. How many JC120 full stacks have you ever seen? or even half stacks? You'd sure have a great clean tone!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
If you want Marshall tone and at your skill level I think you could not go wrong with a DSL40Cr. You will be able to use it as you learn and grow with it AND it's powerful enough that you can use it in a band/gig scenario.

My vote is a DSL tho.

yep and plenty of people use them too. on here several. cant go wrong with these and metal/hard rock.
plenty on the used market as well. just be careful who you buy from of course.
the Marshall MG series was suggested to you as well. not a bad amp to have in your situarion either.
look these up on youtube. plenty of videos for demos.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey All.

I am Gassing for something that is a matched set.
I never had ANYTHING like a Half Stack.

Being a Newbie to this, and not being able to afford a Marshall Half Stack,
would this be a good purchase in the future, like around Christmas??

View attachment 90867

This is just a Screenshot.
Or
Should I get a Marshall Cabinet for the cost of this, and look for a comparable Head??

Thank You For Stopping By

[ ETA ]
I am after the 80s sound & longevity of things.
I'm not gonna discourage you from getting what you want I was the same way, I got a Marshall MG100DFX full stack! Did I need it no, did it make sense to get it no, but sometimes you gotta scratch that itch to find out! After a couple weeks I returned one of the cabs (my ears were just frigging killing me playing through this full stack), then I played through the half stack for about 4 years mostly with headphones LOL, it was the biggest headphone amp in the world LOL. At that point I sold it to get something more reasonably sized a Vox AC15 and a bunch of other amps along the way but still had that Marshall itch so finally went back to that with my current Marshall setup. I'm gonna recommend you save up your money the rest of the year and for Christmas get yourself a DSL100HR and matching 2x12. :yesway:

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Wherecan i get one a dem Rolland amps? Sounds cool. Lol

Sapient

 
Reaction score
OP, I'd avoid the Randolph and go Marshall. It'll sit heartier in the belly and can easily keep you happy a lifetime. I think the Randolph will get "old" quick.

Rolands sound nice too, ...when they're Roland down a hill.

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

JJ119

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain

Eeegadzzz!!

That ad is Salesmanship Par Excellenté !!

Appears to be an above average deal.

Thank You for posting that.

JJ119

Reaction score
Well $]-[¡+

Yesterday I saw a few Cabs for what I had thought were very good deals, so I bookmarked the ads yesterday.

All 3 SOLD between 11 AM yesterday and 2 PM today!!
[ IDK how long they were up, but Dayyyaaammm. ]

Good for the Sellers!! They can move on, and hopefully the Buyers are going to be Happy!! :shred2:

Local Pawn Shop has a Carvin Cab, 4x12. I couldn’t see the price on it, but since I have tomorrow off, I think I'll kick tires and take a look // listen. It'll give me something to do for a minute or so.
Is that the same Carvin as in guitars??

I will keep looking around. Sometimes there's

" A better deal right around the corner "

Latest posts