Randall Half Stack

• Thread starter JJ119
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ119

Reaction score
So, I was reading another Thread.
I realize some things I need a bit of Education on.

Watts
25w is freaking loud in a practice room.

50w is good for small venues like Bars, and small outdoor playing. And possibly good size In doors, like 500 people, 700 possibly.
On the right track??

How do Ohms come into the picture?
I have seen things like lineouts for
2, 5, 8, and 16 Ohms.

How does this all come into selection of equipment??

All Education APPRECIATED!!

Thanks For Stopping by and teaching!!

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Watts

50w is good for small venues like Bars, and small outdoor playing. And possibly good size I doors, like 500 people, 700 possibly.
On the right track??

2, 5, 8, and 16 Ohms.

Thsnks For Stopping by and teaching!!
Thanks For Stopping By
I am no expert, but here's a few answers.
I have a few 15-20 watt Marshall tube amps and they will rattle the windows in my living room.
Nothing wrong with solid state amps for jamming at home either, I also have a few of those.
Tube amps are louder than solid state amps of the same watt rating.

Most speakers used with Marshall amps are usually 8 or 16 ohms impedance.
For multiple speakers in a cabinet, parallel wiring divides the speaker ohms by # of speakers, serial wiring adds the total ohms.
Most amps have multiple or selectable ohm output jacks to match the speakers.

For a $7-800 budget and your desire for a head & cab vs. combo, look at the DSL20HR or the Origin20H amp heads and a 2x12 speaker cabinet.
I've always been able to get used amps for abut 75-80% of the cost of new and these head/cab sets will fall within your budget.
Either amp will have the speaker outputs to match the cabinets that go with them, so don't waste too much thought on that.

You could also get a good versatile solid state amp/cab set for a lot less.
Saving your money for a $1200 amp and a $800 cabinet will get you a better amp, but you can get a great amp without spending that much.
If you're not gigging the corner bar next week before heading out on your would tour, you don't need a $3000, 100watt hand wired amp and a vintage 4x12 cabinet.

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Watts

50w is good for small venues like Bars, and small outdoor playing. And possibly good size In doors, like 500 people, 700 possibly.
On the right track??

2, 5, 8, and 16 Ohms.

Thsnks For Stopping by and teaching!!

I'd say 20 watts is very usable in most situations and for a tube amp that's fairly loud. 50 watts I think is the most anyone ever really needs these days, with modern PA and house systems the need for a powerful amp to act as the PA for the guitar is out dated. You have to remember back in the 60s PA systems were rather inadequate for the direction rock was quickly heading. The bands became louder and louder and PA systems couldn't keep up, this lead to the 100 watt guitar amplifier. It had it's place and served it well but is now fairly unusable in most circumstances.

Ohm ratings are for the speakers you will be pairing to the amplifier and depending on the power rating, type and configuration will dictate which output to connect. If you have a speaker cabinet that's rated at 16 ohms you will plug into the corresponding 16ohm output on the amplifier etc.

JJ119

Reaction score
Thanks @fitz288 !!

That does help a lot!!
I just finished reading another Thread about the Origin 20 & 50.
[ The guy thinking about selling something and getting an Origin SomthingHead ]

Thank You

JJ119

Reaction score
Thanks @Maggot Brain !!

I am beginning to realize that there is more to it than just heads & cabinets.
Some work great with some cabs and some really not so good.

Thank You for the Education!

JJ119

Reaction score
Is there a resource anyone can recommend that I read so I can discuss things with some sort of knowledge?
As is more than obvious, I know
Absolutely Nothing about this.

I THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE with me.

It's both Educational and Interesting to be able to discuss things with you guys and gals without being degraded, discouraged, or dismissed.

Thank You

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a resource anyone can recommend that I read so I can discuss things with some sort of knowledge?
As is more than obvious, I know
Absolutely Nothing about this.

I THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE with me.

It's both Educational and Interesting to be able to discuss things with you guys and gals without being degraded, discouraged, or dismissed.

Thank You
There are self proclaimed "official" threads here about all the major amps and/or amp series.
Some are hundreds of pages long and have some great insights.
Or just use the search function for just about any topic.
That's how I got most of the info that I've found about my new to me 6101.
When I try a browser search for info, I usually just wind up with link hits leading back here anyway.
If you have a specific topic and can't find an answer, just start a new thread.
When no one asks about something interesting, we wind up talking about door hinges...

Randall M. Laney

Reaction score
Dude, Randall Amps are Killer!

Don’t listen to these knuckleheads- if you like Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) Metallica (Kirk Hammet) Pantera (Dimebag Darrel) and/or Ola Englund- GO FOR IT!

You only live once, don’t listen to a bunch of Marshall Tube Snobs on a Marshall Forum slagging other brands!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

Thank You

we wait until you have several yrs experience before we do that lol.

all seriousness, thats honestly the main goal for this forum. To Teach and To Learn.
and the forum here is full of info and a ton of knowledgable people on here that are
willing to take the time with you so you can learn and grow and enjoy your playing
no matter what amp you choose. just get on here and read up. its a wealth of info on
any marshall amp you can imagine and many that arent marshall amps too.
i cant think of a book out there that holds more info on marshall amps than this forum.

dude we got home players on here, garage band folks, weekend warriors, and full time musicians
as well and all at your service. guys who own onlt 1 amp to guys owning over 50 amps.
we dont know everything but together we can solve and fix anything lol.

you will find you have a great advantage here. your a solid newbie and that goes far here with these folks.
these folks will go to great lengths to help you along your journey answering questions, giving humble opinions,
and most of all help steer you down a less bumpy of a road than a lot of us had to take getting going.
so feel free to ask your questions and remember no question is dumb. you dont know what you dont know right?
everybody here has walked in your shoes, had the very same questions you too might have and we either had to ask
or often take the long way and try and figure it out for ourselves at some unmentionable costs lol.
so come on in and stay a while. this place is great.

JJ119

Reaction score
Dude, Randall Amps are Killer!

Don’t listen to these knuckleheads- if you like Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) Metallica (Kirk Hammet) Pantera (Dimebag Darrel) and/or Ola Englund- GO FOR IT!

You only live once, don’t listen to a bunch of Marshall Tube Snobs on a Marshall Forum slagging other brands!

Thanks for your input!!
I think things over most times.

So, Mr. Laney,
Any bias due to the name??
LoL.
Just kidding.
:pops:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks for your input!!
I think things over most times.

So, Mr. Laney,
Any bias due to the name??
LoL.
Just kidding.
:pops:
Log into the Orange forum, they will recommend an Orange, log into the Fender forum, they will recommend a Fender, etc. etc.

So why did you log into a Marshall forum and ask if you should get a Randall??

JJ119

Reaction score
@pedecamp

Personally
Marshall has been The System at every concert I had ever gone to since 1976, which was my 1st. Thin Lizzy & Kansas.

A few years ago, I heard a band playing at an outdoor venue and I stopped to listen.
They were playing " Shake Me " and it sounded pretty freaking good.
The Lead was playing through a
Randall like the 1 in the OP.

True enough, there will always be a Bias according to Forum Brand Names.

JJ119

Reaction score
The pricing doesn't seem too bad either.
That was another point that got my attention.

Torren61

Reaction score
Hey, go get yourself a Randall 100 watt head and a 4X12 Randall cab. You're not going to be satisfied until you do. You rock that thing for awhile and eventually you'll understand what many of us were trying to tell you. On the other hand, you may love it to death and make it the only amp you ever use which is fine, too.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I heard a band playing at an outdoor venue and I stopped to listen.
They were playing " Shake Me " and it sounded pretty freaking good.
The Lead was playing through a
Randall like the 1 in the OP.
Yeah, but it might have been something more like this: $3k...
If you live near a GC or similar, go play a few different amps.

upload_2021-7-1_9-30-29.png

JJ119

Reaction score
Hey, go get yourself a Randall 100 watt head and a 4X12 Randall cab. You're not going to be satisfied until you do. You rock that thing for awhile and eventually you'll understand what many of us @Torrwere trying to tell you. On the other hand, you may love it to death and make it the only amp you ever use which is fine, too.

LoL
No, @Torren61
The main reason I asked was because of cost, a Randall 1/2 stack for the price of a
Marshall 4×12 cab.

It's a very good learning experience for me.
You guys know this shizz.
I asked, you guys helped, I had a few more questions, you guys answered.
I'll have some more questions before
The Holidays, but between now and then, I will be browsing the Forum and learning some things.

Latest posts