Rat tones

• Thread starter BlueX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
This video inspired me to connect my Proco Rat 2 again. Worked really well with active neck pickup, and it was fun!

Good thing that he uses the currently available version for demo, instead of bragging about rare vintage stuff.

Dave_11

Reaction score
Nice. I've been checking out the RAT (2) lately and it will probably be my next pedal purchase. I've never had one and want to see what it can do since it is a classic. GC/MF has them $10 off here in the US right now, for $79.95 total, so I should probably jump on that...

Ken Bob

Reaction score
@BlueX, were you recreating these tones with yours, or just playing around? What sort of settings did you land on?

I've had the same Rat 2 since the 90s, and I've always struggled with it. I'm actually a huge Graham Coxon fan, and I know that he was big user of a Rat into a Super Lead, but I've never really been able to get there 100% with mine. It's always either too thin and trebly, or else distortion-to-the-max, with a very fine line between the two. :shrug:

Seeing the fella in this video using his with the gain at noon or beyond... no way would that work with mine...

BlueX

Reaction score
@BlueX, were you recreating these tones with yours, or just playing around? What sort of settings did you land on?

I've had the same Rat 2 since the 90s, and I've always struggled with it. I'm actually a huge Graham Coxon fan, and I know that he was big user of a Rat into a Super Lead, but I've never really been able to get there 100% with mine. It's always either too thin and trebly, or else distortion-to-the-max, with a very fine line between the two. :shrug:

Seeing the fella in this video using his with the gain at noon or beyond... no way would that work with mine...
Took inspiration from his playing and settings, but no recreation. Played a superstrat with active pu's, mainly on the neck pu, with low volume and tone rolled back quite far, through DSL20 on green channel with low gain. This way I could turn distorsion on the Rat all the way up and still get a controlable sound. Took some tweaking to get there, though, and not too agressive playing.

Bridge pu, or guitar tone control up, was more difficult to manage with high distorsion.

Fun to experiment, and the settings in the video were good starting points.

PelliX

Reaction score
Nice. I've been checking out the RAT (2) lately and it will probably be my next pedal purchase. I've never had one and want to see what it can do since it is a classic. GC/MF has them $10 off here in the US right now, for $79.95 total, so I should probably jump on that...

The new ones all have the 'standard' BOSS style 9V barrel jack, so that's cool. Note that if you buy a second hand from (not quite sure how many) years ago, it might have a 3.5mm jack instead, so you have to get an adapter cable or whatnot. Sound-wise the first RAT's and all iterations of the "RAT 2" are the same. :yesway:

...and yes, clean amp with some headroom + RAT = tons of Gilmourish fun!

lespaul339

Reaction score
I like my Rat clone that I have. I use it more on the fuzz side. It sounds really cool when pushed with a treble booster. Clips just like a fuzz pedal. They're very underrated drive pedals IMO.

jmp45

Reaction score
My son took my Rat 2 years ago. I picked up another last year. No regrets, awesome pedal. I profiled it and put it up on tonex. I had it set more as a warm drive. I have an R2DU in the rack, it's a keeper.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Love the Rat, they are extremely versatile and great sounding pedals. Definitely my favorite dirt pedal. I have the newest version Rat 2 and a GFS Brownie classic v2.0 Rat clone that I did the resistor fix on. I like stacking mine with my Ibanez TS7 sometimes.