Realization, the painful truth...

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
The 2203 reissue sound great if properly cranked. Are you sure you have an attenuator? If it sounds bad even after cranking it with a good attenuator it means that you had the bad apples, and there are plenty of them. Let's say that those transformers were coming from a new guy on training, and during the winding he made a few mistakes, but he didn't tell anybody...in this case you are litterally fucked, your amp will never sound great.

Reaction score
I'm in sort of the reverse of OP's situation. Wish I'd bought a JMP 2203/2204 10 years ago or so - back when they were significantly cheaper than in today's market!

I was more focused on modern-voiced, ultra high gain heads. Still like them, but I always find myself wanting the Marshall flavor of sound most of the time.

Spooky88

Reaction score
Hmm the OP 4500 should contain 5881 tubes in it. The earlier 4500 series had the EL34s. World of difference in tone and playability IMO.

taylodl

Reaction score
I forgot mention...no way I will pay the price they demand...3x what I sold mine for in 03'. Nutz..

Keep in mind that with plain old ordinary inflation the price would have doubled in that intervening period. You say it's tripled? That's not nuts. Twenty years on there are fewer of them available in good working order and people are still chasing that tone. That's why classics increase in value over time.

Honestly, the 3x price sounds a lot cheaper than the time and money you've spent trying to chase the tone that you haven't been able to find but know it has. You made a bad decision when selling it, you're making another bad decision in not just buying it.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Keep in mind that with plain old ordinary inflation the price would have doubled in that intervening period. You say it's tripled? That's not nuts. Twenty years on there are fewer of them available in good working order and people are still chasing that tone. That's why classics increase in value over time.

Honestly, the 3x price sounds a lot cheaper than the time and money you've spent trying to chase the tone that you haven't been able to find but know it has. You made a bad decision when selling it, you're making another bad decision in not just buying it.
Well since I created this post, the price as you mentioned has yet again gone up. At this point, and since I created the post, I no longer care. I get great tone with my current gear, and enjoy flexibility....The delta between lke my DSL100 with the mods and a 2203 is so close, plus how the DSL can do things the 2203 cannot, I'm all good. I have learned to embrace what I have and leave the past where it belongs, in the past. In fact, I'd like to delete this post...

V-man

Reaction score
Well since I created this post, the price as you mentioned has yet again gone up. At this point, and since I created the post, I no longer care. I get great tone with my current gear, and enjoy flexibility....The delta between lke my DSL100 with the mods and a 2203 is so close, plus how the DSL can do things the 2203 cannot, I'm all good. I have learned to embrace what I have and leave the past where it belongs, in the past. In fact, I'd like to delete this post...

Yet, you have posted all that years before this thread. Sounds like simple frustration that you are priced out of the market.

There is nothing wrong with admitting you aren’t 100% satisfied with how close your gear can get you to the “sound in your head” while concluding that the juice is not worth the squeeze on the 2203/4 given the premium asked above what you already have.

You already know how to dial and enjoy what you have. The rest is a matter of vigilance for the right deal, which can only happen if you are honest with yourself and remain persistant.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Yet, you have posted all that years before this thread. Sounds like simple frustration that you are priced out of the market.

There is nothing wrong with admitting you aren’t 100% satisfied with how close your gear can get you to the “sound in your head” while concluding that the juice is not worth the squeeze on the 2203/4 given the premium asked above what you already have.

You already know how to dial and enjoy what you have. The rest is a matter of vigilance for the right deal, which can only happen if you are honest with yourself and remain persistant.
You know, well...honestly I could buy 10 2203s if I wanted to..It is not exactly being *priced outta the market meaning I can't afford it... but I simply REFUSE to spend 4 perhaps 5 times what I originally purchased my old 2203 for. And I don't want to hear this inflationary shit either... The asking price of these amps far exceeds inflation... As I said earlier, circa 2000 or so, GC was selling mint 2204s for $500. A few years earlier they couldn't GIVE THEM away. It's just hype man...just stupid shit...like how someone greatly exaggerating...the DSL board failure... You know Ozzy saying 'you want it so I want it more'...lmao... Or with respect to the DSL negative hype... REO saying how 'tales growing taller on down the line'...So true. The feeding frenzy...the dark side of humanity. I own motorcycles, but I refuse to buy a damn Harley, not because I don't like them, it's because I prefer other engineering aspects more...and refuse to follow the herd begging to be accepted. F that... Marshalls have fallen into that category as well. Covid didn't help either... I actually use these amps and play out with them....record with them... they're tools for expression to me...not some stupid museum piece to brag about....to friends and folks who mostly don't care. I do apologize for the rant...

V-man

Reaction score
You know, well...honestly I could buy 10 2203s if I wanted to..It is not exactly being *priced outta the market meaning I can't afford it... but I simply REFUSE to spend 4 perhaps 5 times what I originally purchased my old 2203 for.
Priced out of your market can be out of your means OR your willingness. You have every right to draw the line where it will/won’t work for you, and nobody’s opinion on worth has any bearing on where you feel you should stand.

And I don't want to hear this inflationary shit either...

Not necessary to rehash at all, but while other’s opinions on where you should value it are largely irrelevant, so too is your opinion on what they *should* cost when the world they live in abides by the market created by those willing to move the marker, whether reasonable or otherwise.

Meanwhile, someone on FB snagged a JMP half stack for $1,500. Persistence… if it’s what you really want.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Payed $350 for an early 80’s 4104 in 1991, sold it for $450 in 1994. Those where the days.

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I’ve got a 78 JMP2203 6550 and it is my favorite amp of all time. It has a slightly different and more vintage tone that’s real sweet compared to the JCM800 series. I also have the DSL 100 and TSL 100 amps with nice fresh tubes and not so hot bias. Those amps also sound extremely good and some real nice vintage tones available with a greenback cab. I really like the DSL/TSL amps and with the JJ E34L they have absolutely loads of low end power cranked.

The JMP 2203 has vintage magic and unholy power for speed metal but the DSL/TSL amps when set up properly also sound extremely good through the same cab and not too far from my 2203 if you know how to dial these amps real close to each other. The largest difference being 6550 vs E34L and both are great just slightly different voicing cranked. I love all of them but the JMP is always the best for me.

tidbit

Reaction score
Had offers for my 1980. I’ve turned them all down. I only paid $200 for the head in the early/ mid 90’s

Attachments

• IMG_8351.jpeg
    IMG_8351.jpeg
    799.9 KB · Views: 11

dslman

Reaction score
I had two of them. Sold them off. They did not sound like the originals. They had the same output...similar anyway, but the voicing was off. The transformers are cheapened...evidenced by that funky hum cancelling circuit with respect to the PT.
Same, I had my 80/81 JMP 2203 stolen years ago, got the 2203x which was pretty cool , but just didn't have the JMP mojo. I loved the FX-Loop though.

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
I simply cannot care about the price of used Marshall amps anymore. In my country of Denmark they are plenty and there is enough for everyone interested.

In example, one could get a decent half stack for around 1.000£ or less. Be it 1987, 2203, JCM800 or 2000 or JVM. Just have to wait it out.

BTW: I’m not selling.