Recommend A Combo...

• Thread starter colchar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brp

Reaction score

Cool. I bought one a couple weeks ago for $500, mint.
Great amp, loving it and I've only scratched the surface of it's capabilities.

That would also be a great option for you Colchar, should you happen to see a deal on one. Although more power than you need, but most mentioned here are including your Haze 40 option.

Soulforger

Reaction score
SL5 is worth the money and is tailor made for the styles you mention, you can't go wrong with a DSL or a Haze either, for home use I picked up a Laney TI15 Tony Iommi on sale for $497 US, Killer tone whether using high gain or more classic gain, 15watt or less than 1 watt inputs, fx loop, line out, headphone out and built in boost, definitely worth a look!

sidvicious

Reaction score
the sl5 and classic 5 are different amps. i have a classic 5 and its a fine amp but the sl5 is an entirely different breed of cat. they really aren't comparable on features or price. the presence control is a killer feature on an amp like this. a huge variety of tones are available. and if you like "feel", there is plenty of it.

many may be unaware, but asian manufacturing is basically the best in the world.

bracky

Reaction score
I used a dsl 40c at home as a practice amp and you could gig with it to. its a bright amp with good tone that covers a lot of ground

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
the sl5 and classic 5 are different amps. i have a classic 5 and its a fine amp but the sl5 is an entirely different breed of cat. they really aren't comparable on features or price. the presence control is a killer feature on an amp like this. a huge variety of tones are available. and if you like "feel", there is plenty of it.

many may be unaware, but asian manufacturing is basically the best in the world.

In my experience manufacturing varies. Plenty of crap is produced in Asia. When it comes to music gear I prefer made in the US/UK...but I'm a union loving commie.:lol:

EndGame00

Reaction score
I'm in Canada so prices are different here. For a lot of things the prices are the same but on some they are higher than in the US especially because we have one main national chain of stores as opposed to having options like MF, GC, San Ash, etc.

I thought you were in my neck of the woods so that's why I thought $649 is pretty expensive for the 15-watter.

EndGame00

Reaction score
In my experience manufacturing varies. Plenty of crap is produced in Asia. When it comes to music gear I prefer made in the US/UK...but I'm a union loving commie.:lol:

I haven't heard anything bad when it comes to build-quality that is coming out of their Vietnam production line... They probably has a much stricter QC over there than the Made in China ones *ahem* SL5 *ahem*

poeman33

Reaction score
Being a good Canadian boy and everything...how about trying out the Traynor YCV50? It's got EL34's. It's going to sound good quiet or loud, but you would have a bit of headroom for some really nice cleans. I'm tempted by this one lately.

colchar

Reaction score
Being a good Canadian boy and everything...how about trying out the Traynor YCV50? It's got EL34's. It's going to sound good quiet or loud, but you would have a bit of headroom for some really nice cleans. I'm tempted by this one lately.

I had a YCV40 and it was too loud for me so the YCV50 would obviously be too loud as well (I do like Traynors though which is why I included the YCV20 on my list). I only included the Haze 40 on my list because it was on sale...I knew it would be too loud at 40-watts.

I decided to change things up and go for the PRRI as it is mint (seriously, the thing looks like it just came out of the box) and only cost $649 which is a really good deal on one of those as they normally sell for $949. I have always preferred British sounding amps but decided to go outside of my comfort zone for a change, especially as the cleans are great and because it will be used as a pedal platform for my Boss ME-70.

I still like the idea of the DSL5C but have no idea when they will available here so I decided to go for the Princeton as it is available right now. I'll still probably pick up a DSL5C once they have been out for a few months but, right now, I am happy with the decision to grab the Princeton.

Payday is Monday so I had the store pull it off the floor for me until I can get in there on Tuesday so I won't be bringing it home until then.

Last edited:

poeman33

Reaction score
I had a YCV40 and it was too loud for me so the YCV50 would obviously be too loud as well (I do like Traynors though which is why I included the VCV20 on my list). I only included the Haze 40 on my list because it was on sale...I knew it would be too loud at 40-watts.

I decided to change things up and go for the PRRI as it is mint (seriously, the thing looks like it just came out of the box) and only cost $649 which is a really good deal on one of those as they normally sell for $949. I have always preferred British sounding amps but decided to go outside of my comfort zone for a change, especially as the cleans are great and because it will be used as a pedal platform for my Boss ME-70.

I still like the idea of the DSL5C but have no idea when they will available here so I decided to go for the Princeton as it is available right now. I'll still probably pick up a DSL5C once they have been out for a few months but, right now, I am happy with the decision to grab the Princeton.

Payday is Monday so I had the store pull it off the floor for me until I can get in there on Tuesday so I won't be bringing it home until then.

You don't have to play it full blast. You can turn the master volume down to bedroom level and still have the same gain...

But anyway, I'm sure you will like the Princeton too. Completely different sound of course.

colchar

Reaction score
You don't have to play it full blast. You can turn the master volume down to bedroom level and still have the same gain...

I played the YCV40 (actually the YCV40T - the twin speaker model) at lower volumes, and it did sound good, but I found that I was only using a fraction of the amp's capabilities as I only play at home. If I played out and needed the volume, that amp would have been a great fit. But for a home player, I found it was just too much.

Latest posts