• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recommend me a Marshall

• Thread starter juventus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juventus

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here

I've decided that eventually I want to get a Marshall. Been playing for almost 5 years with the last 2-3 through a Bugera 333XL combo with an Epiphone LP-100 and LTD MH-53. Very soon (maybe this weekend) I'll be getting a new guitar, at this stage looks like a Gibson SG special faded (new) for around ~$1000AUD.

However, been thinking lately that the Bugera isn't doing it for me tonewise (besides the crappy guitars) and I really like the Marshall tone. Love the Mesa Mark tone too but they are quite dear, not liking the idea of paying $4-5k for a Mark V head alone. When I save up enough again (maybe early next year - I'm only 18 :p) I'll probably be looking at upgrading with amp to head & 2 or 4x12 cab.

Looking for an amp that covers tones similar to AC/DC (I guess Back in Black tone if it's easier), G'n'R, Zep to 80s thrash i.e. early Metallica & Megadeth, maybe Slayer too. Some alt stuff like Soundgarden too would be nice too. I guess the general idea is AC/DCish classic rock tone to 80s thrash tone (plus a lot of which I mentioned was recorded on marshalls).

I'm thinking JCM800 but really sure.

DWK302

Reaction score
JCM800, Vintage Modern or YJM. Can't go wrong with any of them.

juventus

Reaction score
JVM410 head. 4 channels x 3 modes per channel=versatility heaven

I saw that. Is that more of a jack of all trades master of none? Because that's kind of what I have now or does it really nail each type of tone?

Tails

Reaction score
If you want value, try to pick up a DSL 100 head with a 1960 cabinet. A nice DSL will only be around $600 used on craigslist, and the cab will be around $350 USD. The DSL is a legendary amp, made in England and has all tube power for a cheap price.

juventus

Reaction score
Well I'll have to try them all out eventually.

So far:
JVM410h
Vintage Modern
JCM800
DSL100

Anything else?

YJM is definitely too much $$$.

These guys are probably the cheapest near to me.

http://www.skymusic.com.au/Guitar-Amplifiers/Marshall/

Also, what about 70s metal tones? I'd say it would probably need to do that as well. Think Sabbath or a newer band like 'The Sword'. Though they use orange amps. Love that vintage kind of tone.

juventus

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw so I'll post again.

What about 70s metal tones? I'd say it would probably need to do that as well. Think Sabbath or a newer band like 'The Sword'. Though they use orange amps. Love that vintage kind of tone.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Modern Marshalls may not be able to get that fuzzier tone. If you want that, get something like a Big Muff, or some pedal I remember combined a Big Muff + a Treble Booster. I don't remember the name, but V-Man here owns one.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw so I'll post again.

What about 70s metal tones? I'd say it would probably need to do that as well. Think Sabbath or a newer band like 'The Sword'. Though they use orange amps. Love that vintage kind of tone.

Dude, for everything you have listed i would go a Vintage amp like a 2203/2204, a VM or a 2203x.

dreyn77

Reaction score
HOW exactly do you want the sound? If near enough, like 95% then any marshall will do. to add to that an EQ pedal for the mids that the amp might not cover.
800's - bands in the 70's didn't have them!

If you get any marshall with 'a' quality 12" speaker then you have THE sound.

I just picked up a JTM 30 watt, 1 x 12" speaker combo, second hand. for less than $400 Aus. that thing is THE WARM marshall sound!
everything else is less mids from the amp, this is where the EQ pedal comes in.

you ain't going to get a cheap 800 in aust.

you got to ask yourself "how do you play"? cause these marshalls have the same sound (95%) but the user features are different. how you use the amp should tell you what to buy. do you like pushing switches to get different sounds? If you don't (like me) then there is no point getting a switching amp like the JVM. but for the right price I can put up with that feature (the JTM I bought has 2 channel switching)

how your going to play tells you how loud the amp will be (this is where 'master volume' comes in) If you want lots of sustain from the notes then you either get a master vol amp or a amp that you can listen to at a good volume (this tells you if you want 1 watt - 200 watts)

If you want that ACDC sound better get some EAR PLUGS! JMP 50 watter with cascaded gain MONSTER!!!
or find yourself a little 80's combo and you'll have 95% of that exact tone and you'll be very happy. ACDC love JTM and JMP
Don't worry too much about Valves, they are over-rated, speakers make a huge difference. transistors are about 90% of the same sound as valves. if you play at LOW volumes you'd probibly not even notice the '10%' difference.
SO if you can find ANY of the BIG BOYS in good working condition, cheap - grab it!
if not, then look for cheap combos that the 'followers' don't want. (they don't know what they are, even when marshall tells them, "the same sound as the BIG BOYS just at any volume you like") I got one for $120 AUS, the guy told be nobodys wants it. got it home and it did VH, RR, ACDC etc... how good is that?!

John 14:6

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Nudge68

Reaction score
Sorry you asked, mate? :)

Take your guitar and cable, go to the largest shop in town, plug in to everything in there. After you get kicked out, go to the second largest shop ... Your ears will decide what works best.

To pick 2 units on what you've stated as target, I'd say try out late '70s 2203/04. My '77s are dead on. The cab makes a difference too, so make sure you get some thing suits. Check the forum here!

Cheers,

Matt.

juventus

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

Looking at this I was quite impressed by the tone of this although in the comments the guy says it is modded.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28FfoMW_4k]Marshall JVM 410H OD1 & OD2 Orange & Red Modes - YouTube[/ame]

I like the OD1 channel, the sort of mid-ish gain sound especially on the leads. That nice warm marshall tone with the tubes breaking up. I can't get that sound on my Bugera. Sounds like it would do the old school Marshall tones quite well (for me) i.e. AC/DC, EVH etc. But what about those 80s thrash sounds? Too modern? I know Dave Mustaine has used one on the last couple of Megadeth records and it sounds really modern.

And don't worry about that 70s tone, I'll probably just use a metal muff for that.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
The comment says that he hadded a 3 Henry choke to it. Can't say I mind. That JVM sounds awesome. I have a completely stock JVM and I use a stock 1960A cabinet.

Latest posts