• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recommend me a Marshall

• Thread starter juventus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

1337storm

Reaction score
Iv'e had the JVM for a number of years and did a few mods to it over time, and eventhough it's not a bad amp my new JVMJS beats it in every department.
Do yourself a favour and at least try the JS version before bying the original JVM.
By the way, there are a few mods that are easy to do (including adding a choke)
that (to me at least) do wonders to the original JVM.
Take a look at the JVM Forum, there are very good descriptions there on how to do it.

juventus

Reaction score
JVMJS is definitely too expensive. More than 1000+ of what I want to pay. Remember I am in Australia too.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I dig the same stuff/tone...

For the money? Hands down DSL100/50...KILLER tone..especially with the right tubes and bias settings... Solos with the DSL's red channel are incredible...

800s are awesome..but their single channel layout for my needs (gigging musician) doesn't cut it...

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
I get my JVM to sound like this (this is NOT me playing, as I have a JVM410 and not a JVM205 shown in the video):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjdygAe-x8&feature=g-like]Marshall JVM 205H OD Orange - YouTube[/ame]

juventus

Reaction score
Yeah, not really a fan of single channel. Must have 2 at least (clean & dirty).

Does the DSL have a modern voicing? i.e. can it do stuff like AC/DC, Zep & Sabbath with a Gibby SG/LP?

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Yeah. On the OD channels, if the gain is relatively low (i.e. around 2-3), then it cleans up well with your guitar volume knob. But single coils will sound weak through the Crunch channels. You really need humbuckers there.

And the Clean channel modes are awesome in their own right. If you go JVM, definitely get the 410. It's hands-down the best one.

And if you DO get one and not the Joe Satriani signature version, then give it some time and you can add your own choke or whatever mods over time. It's a more affordable solution than getting everything you want all at once.

List of mods people do to the amp:

Add a choke
Add a negative feedback pot (so you can dial it in)
Add the Plexi Cap mod (you could also add a switch between the two)

The JVM stock comes with a TON of negative feedback, which keeps everything super-tight while you're playing. Dialing it back down (to say Plexi levels) and switching on the Plexi Cap mod would turn the amp into a 1959SLP. It also makes it hella-loud (even though it's pretty f***ing loud to begin with - I keep it on Master Volume 1 for bedroom play).

Check on over at the JVM Forum's MOD Section. You can read tons about the mods, how much they cost to do, how difficult they are to do yourself vs getting a tech to do it for you, etc.

juventus

Reaction score
Yeah. On the OD channels, if the gain is relatively low (i.e. around 2-3), then it cleans up well with your guitar volume knob. But single coils will sound weak through the Crunch channels. You really need humbuckers there.

And the Clean channel modes are awesome in their own right. If you go JVM, definitely get the 410. It's hands-down the best one.

And if you DO get one and not the Joe Satriani signature version, then give it some time and you can add your own choke or whatever mods over time. It's a more affordable solution than getting everything you want all at once.

List of mods people do to the amp:

Add a choke
Add a negative feedback pot (so you can dial it in)
Add the Plexi Cap mod (you could also add a switch between the two)

The JVM stock comes with a TON of negative feedback, which keeps everything super-tight while you're playing. Dialing it back down (to say Plexi levels) and switching on the Plexi Cap mod would turn the amp into a 1959SLP. It also makes it hella-loud (even though it's pretty f***ing loud to begin with - I keep it on Master Volume 1 for bedroom play).

Check on over at the JVM Forum's MOD Section. You can read tons about the mods, how much they cost to do, how difficult they are to do yourself vs getting a tech to do it for you, etc.

Been reading up a bit, the JVM is sounding quite good (not just tone wise :D). Either that or a DSL but I think the JVM would be much better.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Yeah, not really a fan of single channel. Must have 2 at least (clean & dirty).

Does the DSL have a modern voicing? i.e. can it do stuff like AC/DC, Zep & Sabbath with a Gibby SG/LP?

I am not sure I understand this question. Modern voicing is Zep and AC/DC?? I think you meant the opposite. Yes, you can do all the old and new voicing...

For the most part ALL valve MARSHALLS sound like Marshalls..new and old.. the rest is up to you...

Bottom line bro...

juventus

Reaction score
I mean that if it had a modern voicing then it couldn't do those kind of old tones that are essential (for me).

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
if you want ACDC get jcm800 or jcm1 or jmp1

AC/DC tone is found in the 1959SLP. I get it with a JMP1h. I also get Slash's AFD tones with the same amp when I engage the boost switch on the back and oversaturate the preamp tubes. Too bad I'm not a Slash fanboy.

But I still have a JVM. Why? Because I play a lot more than just '70s and '80s rock. Between my JMP1 and my JVM410, I cover just about EVERYTHING.

And I have a JTM1 as well, to boot.

And my Fender Mustang V 150-watt stereo half-stack (which has a 1959SLP and a JCM800 model in it anyway).

I think I'm covered tone-wise.

And oh yeah, I can feed my JMP1 tones into my JVM's FX Loop and get 100-watts of EL34 goodness from my 1960A if I ever choose to gig. :dude:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Plug into a DSL. You can get vintage tones on the green channel and modern tones on the red.

Latest posts