• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Rediscovering old gear stashed away

• Thread starter Marshall Arts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
I went through some house cleaning a few days ago. Throwing away old stuff that had been collecting over the years.

I found my old Gollmer The Blues distortion pedal in the basement. A pedal I bought almost 10 years ago. I remember I didn't like it that much after all and stashed it away in the basement then.

This time I gave it a new shot with my LP and 2554. And man, what was I thinking back in the days?? This thing rocks! It will not end up in the basement again from now on. It almost feels like new pedal day.

Have you ever stashed gear away from a lack of interest only to try it again later on with a completely different impression?

Last edited:

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Was still within reach, but ran my Maxon/Ibanez SD9 for the first time in years today. Fattened the sound nicely, will get some more time. I had moved to pedal-free, or an occasional treble-booster-type
cache_31262317.jpg

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a huge rack full of top notch gear that I haven't fired up in years. Its been on my list to do but I'm too lazy to wire it all up. Lol
Ha! Me too. I have my old 80s rig just sitting in the rack. Everytime I walk by it I think man, I gotta fire that thing up..then it hits me..where the f are the midi cables?. Lol... ADA MP1, ART Multiverb LT, Rane eq. Peavey CS800 in stereo into a couple 4x12's...ahh the good ole days. That little set up rocks the 80s tone all day long..as loud as you want it.:)

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Ha! Me too. I have my old 80s rig just sitting in the rack. Everytime I walk by it I think man, I gotta fire that thing up..then it hits me..where the f are the midi cables?. Lol... ADA MP1, ART Multiverb LT, Rane eq. Peavey CS800 in stereo into a couple 4x12's...ahh the good ole days. That little set up rocks the 80s tone all day long..as loud as you want it.:)

What, no Yamaha XPS-90 / 90 II?? That was the rule: we all had to have the ADA preamp, the XPS 90, the Korg rack tuner and to top it all off, a Nady 201 Dual Diversity guitar wireless unit. If you had money left over for picks and strings you spent 1985's complete supply on a Furman rackmount power conditioner - the one with the pull-out tube lights and dimmer control, and some Aquanet or Paul Mitchell Freeze & Shine and some body glitter and ...

I could go on all night. It was like there was a list of requirements ordered in sequence by priority. :D

iambearface

Reaction score
I went through some house cleaning a few days ago. Throwing away old stuff that had been collecting over the years.

I found my old Gollmer The Blues distortion pedal in the basement. A pedal I bought almost 10 years ago. I remember I didn't like it that much after all and stashed it away in the basement then.

This time I gave it a new shot with my LP and 2554. And man, what was I thinking back in the days?? This thing rocks! It will not end up in the basement again from now on. It almost feels like new pedal day.

Have you ever stashed gear away from a lack of interest only to try it again later on with a completely different impression?

I don't suppose I can ask a huge favour, any chance I can get an internal/circuit photo of the Gollmer? Been looking for one for years and I feel the best solution is to make a clone. Many thanks!

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
I bet there's very little schematics to be found on these.
But if this can help you along, I'm more than happy to provide pictures.

Are these good enough for your use?

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_125416.jpg
    IMG_20210303_125416.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210303_125952.jpg
    IMG_20210303_125952.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210303_130011.jpg
    IMG_20210303_130011.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 19

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Whenever I stash gear away I put it in a plastic bag, dig a hole in one of the neighbor's lawns at night and bury it there. Then I print out a satellite-based topographical map and draw up to 40,00 dots from various locations to it and mark the location with a big 'X'. They're just like treasure maps, only different.

Currently I have gear scattered and buried all over the county.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Whenever I stash gear away I put it in a plastic bag, dig a hole in one of the neighbor's lawns at night and bury it there. Then I print out a satellite-based topographical map and draw up to 40,00 dots from various locations to it and mark the location with a big 'X'. They're just like treasure maps, only different.

while dressed as Ace Frehley?

Marshall Arts

Reaction score

GPSCOIDH (GPS Coordinates or it didn't happen!)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Yup, every several years I pull out my 1980's Proco Rat and rediscover it for awhile, been doing this for 35 years! Just took it off my board again for the latest shiney thing LOL.

iambearface

Reaction score
I bet there's very little schematics to be found on these.
But if this can help you along, I'm more than happy to provide pictures.

Are these good enough for your use?

Hi! I've finally found a guy (friend of a friend of a friend) who is tracing the circuit for me, But he needs some closer in photos if that's no trouble for you? "A clear shot from the top showing all the resistors and some close-in shots of the capacitors showing the part values"

Thanks a bunch!

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I've recently gone through some older catalogs.

I've come across a lot of old flames.

Gear that I bought/kept and should have bought.

Cool stuff.

bullhead

Reaction score
I was organizing my music room and I found my 1988 DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus, still in mint condition, which was my very first pedal purchase. I’d forgotten that I had even kept it. It was still in the original box with all the paperwork: manual, catalog and even a DOD sticker. I plugged it in and it sounds awesome. Better than I remembered. It’s going back on the board this weekend. It’s amazing the stuff we put aside and forget about until they pop up again.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score

Quite often. I found out the hard way. I sold some pedals in my youth that I would really like to have now but they are 1) hard to find, and 2) expensive now.

Nowadays I hold on to everything. Just a couple of months ago I plugged in my old Danelectro Dan Eco and thought "man, that still sounds really cool". Not as versatile as some of my other delays, but what it does it does really well. I have a compulsion when it comes to pedals...even if I don't like it now I think "but maybe it'll sound cool for something in the future".

Also just recently plugged in a cheesy plastic Ibanez SoundTank phaser and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Go figure...

BTW, nice find on the Gollmer!

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Quite often. I found out the hard way. I sold some pedals in my youth that I would really like to have now but they are 1) hard to find, and 2) expensive now.

Nowadays I hold on to everything. Just a couple of months ago I plugged in my old Danelectro Dan Eco and thought "man, that still sounds really cool". Not as versatile as some of my other delays, but what it does it does really well. I have a compulsion when it comes to pedals...even if I don't like it now I think "but maybe it'll sound cool for something in the future".

Also just recently plugged in a cheesy plastic Ibanez SoundTank phaser and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Go figure...

BTW, nice find on the Gollmer!
I had one of those Ibanez Soundtank Tube Screamers. Sounded great but the switch went out on it. My friend and I did an A/B test between that and a regular tube screamer and the Soundtank sounded better to both of our ears (before it died).

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I had one of those Ibanez Soundtank Tube Screamers. Sounded great but the switch went out on it. My friend and I did an A/B test between that and a regular tube screamer and the Soundtank sounded better to both of our ears (before it died).
Yeah, those sountanks weren't bad after all soundwise, but seriously flimsy. Same with the plastic Danelectro pedals which were actually more durable than one would initially think. Some were pretty good.