Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

• Thread starter Sledge Johnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vtrain

Reaction score
I think the only advantage of a relic'd guitar is that you won't mind when you ding it up. That's one reason I like to buy used guitars though, especially ones that aren't mint like new. When I put a ding in them, it doesn't bother me. With my brand new guitars, one little ding gives me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I'd like to see someone do an accurate copy of Obeid Khan's Strat.

maxresdefault.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
folks are doing something now by burning bodies slightly. i need to find a video on how they are doing this.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
They look awful. It's basically trying to make a poorly made modern guitar look like it's from the golden age.
poorly made? youve never played one im guessing.

heres a gibson custom shop 1959
1652054523657.png

heres a customshop 57 jason smith.
1652054847380.png

a custom shop 51
1652054943025.png

just a few of the poorly made guitars out there for sell.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Once I get past the first ding, it doesn't matter anymore. I don't abuse my guitars, but wear and tear is a natural consequence of using them and I don't mind them picking up those marks.

My no. 1 guitar, my Les Paul (which I made in 2001) has been played to such an extent that it has some belt buckle rash on the back of it, and the finish on the lower edge in back is worn and scratched off to the bare wood for several inches, and the nitro lacquer over the top under where my forearm rests has slowly started to degrade and won't polish up anymore. And that's just fine with me. I built that guitar 21 years ago and we've aged together. It's not like I haven't picked up a few signs of wear and tear myself in the last 20 years.

But I don't do anything to intentionally accelerate that wear. Not on myself or my guitars.

I remember reading in an interview and article about the blues guitarist Robert Cray, in Guitar Player magazine back in the 80s, that Robert would slide his strat across the stage, on its back, to his guitar tech any time it needed retuning. Needless to say, this would do a number on the back of the guitar in short order.

I wouldn't wish to do that even on a 99 dollar Affinity Strat.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Once I get past the first ding, it doesn't matter anymore. I don't abuse my guitars, but wear and tear is a natural consequence of using them and I don't mind them picking up those marks.

My no. 1 guitar, my Les Paul (which I made in 2001) has been played to such an extent that it has some belt buckle rash on the back of it, and the finish on the lower edge in back is worn and scratched off to the bare wood for several inches, and the nitro lacquer over the top under where my forearm rests has slowly started to degrade and won't polish up anymore. And that's just fine with me. I built that guitar 21 years ago and we've aged together. It's not like I haven't picked up a few signs of wear and tear myself in the last 20 years.

But I don't do anything to intentionally accelerate that wear. Not on myself or my guitars.

I remember reading in an interview and article about the blues guitarist Robert Cray, in Guitar Player magazine back in the 80s, that Robert would slide his strat across the stage, on its back, to his guitar tech any time it needed retuning. Needless to say, this would do a number on the back of the guitar in short order.

I wouldn't wish to do that even on a 99 dollar Affinity Strat.
:photos::photos::photos::coffee:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
A guy named Floyd Cassista has made stuff for Guthrie Trapp and Kenny Vaughan.
Love the look of the lightly reliced guitar Kenny is using here. Not really even reliced but when the light it hits it right you can see the wood grain popping out of the light finish. Sounds great but I imagine Kenny makes anything sound good
These guitars will show up on reverb sometimes and are not super expensive

El Gringo

Reaction score

View attachment 107313

View attachment 107317

a custom shop 51
View attachment 107318

That people pay a premium for the aged look , as it's more labor intensive and more time spent crafting versus a regular finished guitar . As they say and I agree that it is a price point and a choice for the consumer . Just not my cup of Chamomile tea

El Gringo

Reaction score
i do kinda dig the look of this tele guys. it just different enough to like it.

I was very impressed with this guys skills . This is not my kind of thing , but I have to be very impressed with this parts build and this gent used all good stuff and dare I say top shelf stuff for the build and I think it truly came out awesome . Proof right there in the video and I would love to play his built Tele as I think she will rock and the gent certainly knows his stuff as he covered all the bases and then some . Thanks for posting Rick !

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I was very impressed with this guys skills . This is not my kind of thing , but I have to be very impressed with this parts build and this gent used all good stuff and dare I say top shelf stuff for the build and I think it truly came out awesome . Proof right there in the video and I would love to play his built Tele as I think she will rock and the gent certainly knows his stuff as he covered all the bases and then some . Thanks for posting Rick !
you know im a tele fan. this tele is different enough that i like it.
i hope his dad likes it. i would love to have it myself. the pickguard is a bit
to red but i can work with it.

El Gringo

Reaction score
you know im a tele fan. this tele is different enough that i like it.
i hope his dad likes it. i would love to have it myself. the pickguard is a bit
to red but i can work with it.
You click on a video and you (I ) never know what you are going to stumble upon or find and this Gent just knocked it out of the park . I mean with my limited knowledge , this gent covered all his bases and got the job done and used really good stuff and the gent certainly knew what he was doing as I couldn't find one thing he did to pick at and by golly I was impressed and the gent even had a Fender decal ,which I know some might scoff at , but the Gent was quite thorough and that's exactly where he impressed the heck out of me . I would love to play this Tele and would bet she brings the goods !

Richie612

Reaction score

View attachment 107313

View attachment 107317

a custom shop 51
View attachment 107318

I think you've misses my point. These modern equivalents aren't made to the same standard the actual vintage ones were. Yes they look old but often the components are new. They often aren't shielded and use cheap electrics. I'd rather pay for an actual vintage than a modern guitar someone has took an angle grinder and sandpaper to.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I think you've misses my point. These modern equivalents aren't made to the same standard the actual vintage ones were. Yes they look old but often the components are new. They often aren't shielded and use cheap electrics. I'd rather pay for an actual vintage than a modern guitar someone has took an angle grinder and sandpaper to.
eh, i think the newer guitars are prolly built better than the old guitars in a lot of cases.
i know vintage collectors that will say the same thing.