Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

• Thread starter Sledge Johnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ITburst

Reaction score
Hey anybody wanna buy a reliced car?
I said that a few months back and got some push back for it. However, I stand by it.
I also would not be interested in paying for brand new jeans with huge holes in them but there are those who do.
I know it’s personal taste, I’m just not into it.

cscoios

Reaction score
Even the pros have relicd guitars built for them. In 2015, EVH had Chip Ellis build him a relicd white wolfgang with the original black stealth showing through the new ivory top coat.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
That fad has hit the motorcycle world. They're called "rat bikes," where the owner deliberately makes the bike as ragged looking as possible.

View attachment 107037

Grand Theft Auto ;) . They also have livery's for some cars as well to make them look all rusted out. They still have a nice shine though. lol

On topic:
I'm just not a fan of relic guitars.

OneOcean

Reaction score
Of course, organic wear on a vintage instrument is preferable if you can afford it. Remember that along the 40-50 years of active playing there was likely plenty of heartache from the first scratches and dings. And many vintage instruments have been refinished or had hardware replaced because the owner could not tolerate the imperfections. If you're not an OCD perfectionist, then it can be quite liberating to start with a new guitar that already has scratches, dings, corroded hardware, etc... The pressure is off to try to keep it pristine. I think it may even make you play it better when you remove the cosmetic concerns from the experience. Go ahead, use the mic stand as a slide. Manhandle it to get some crazy vibrato. Sweat or bleed on the damn thing because it all contributes to its charm. I knew a guy who would immediately trade his car in for a new one as soon as it git its first scratch of door scuff at a parking lot! He would never go for a relic'd guitar, but perhaps it would be the best thing for him.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I agree they do feel better. I actually got my relic'd Road Worn Strat cheaper because the guy at the store said people didn't want a worn guitar. I ended up saving a couple hundred bucks off the price, and it also played and sounded better than the American Strat I went there to initially buy.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I don't prefer instruments with a lot of wear even if they're vintage. However...an instrument that is old and shows lots of play wear may be assumed to be an instrument that has that something about it that makes you want to play it.

And then there's the dead mint true NOS original guitar in its original case with all the case candy, 60 years old, hardly a trace it's ever been played...and the reason is because it's a dead, lifeless, uninspiring instrument that doesn't make anybody want to play it. That's how it got to be so old while remaining perfect, at least in some cases.

Sometimes one of these "closet classics" comes to light, but it's a GOOD playing instrument, and often in that case the story involves someone outliving his guitar by a good many years and his parents stick it in the closet and forget about it.

Play wear, REAL play wear, only happens to guitars that make you want to play them a lot.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
I'd rather wear it out myself.

But some luthiers make an art out of it.

Problem is I'm not hard on my gear so I'd take a few life times to get it reliced unless that's the way it looked when I acquired it.

I own a signature Sambora (NOS hidden for years in a large music store's inventory and it did get beat up some) so some might think that's weird sporting an artist's signature axe. To me it's just a guitar that happens to be built that way and I like the appointments (first Fender superstrat with a Floyd and a bucker) not that I'm a fan-boy of Richie's but to his credit he did come up with hooks that made Bon Jovi and he did get kicked around in the band to make him leave.

ApathyForum

Reaction score
I like it when people sell relic guitars and say they are in "mint" condition.

I also think it's strange that people would pay $5k for a relic 70's Strat but only $2500 for a real 70's Strat. Murphy Lab LP's are $10K...almost double $ for a non Relic'd LP. Not for me. No way.

I did create one relic for myself though. My '81 Strat weighed 10+ lbs so Bought a Warmoth HSS body. Paint and relic was $300.

View attachment 107039

I've since put the original body back together and bought a new USA neck for the Warmoth body.
That looks awesome!

Eric'45

Reaction score
In some cases, when it's done right, and more subtle, it can be really cool. Like a Goldtop, that looks almost better with a checked finish than without one.
I really don't mind wear and tear on my own guitars, that's why I don't over- protect them. I don't age them on purpose, but Dings at the Headstock just happen, and I'm down to the Binding where my Arm rests on my R8. These signs of wear are for me a sign of the times I spend together with my Guitars. I own 3 Instruments that have aged naturally (they are all at least 40 Years old), and I admire their "Battle Scars".
I still don't call out anyone for his tastes. Everybody likes different things, and some might despise what I like personally.
Here are the signs of a 47 Year long live:

wearandtear.jpg

groovenev

Reaction score
I played a relic tree green 65 strat once at GC, I almost bought it but when I saw the 6K $ price I opted out... I agree just another finish choice today... as kids from the 70's we always wanted a new guitar not an old one, so we could put our own miles on it.... :) As sort of art collection item it works if you have plenty of cash around and need to find it a home for it, but for the price they cost why not try to find a real old guitar that plays ok? I look at all the tv commercials and shows and in the corner or wall of every room there is a guitar prop it has become a fashionable art item today.... LOL ...

ajtonly1

Reaction score
What say you?

Any blemishes or finish faults on my guitars were earned honestly... by me !
Orrrrrrrrrrrrr............

you can quit caring about other people's choices and tastes and live your life and let them live theirs.:applause:

Life is already hard enough without people starting useless threads like this