Remodeling 2555 Jubilee

• Thread starter Busher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Busher

Reaction score
I just bought a 1988 black 2555 jubilee ,it's in a pretty bad cosmetic shape but sounds amazing so i decided to turn it into a silver Jubilee ,I found a chrome front panel,knobs and white tolex on ebay ,it's gonna cost me about $330 to do .
my question is would this actually increase or decrease the value of it since Marshall didn't make them in white tolex in 1988?

Thanx

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I just bought a 1988 black 2555 jubilee ,it's in a pretty bad cosmetic shape but sounds amazing so i decided to turn it into a silver Jubilee ,I found a chrome front panel,knobs and white tolex on ebay ,it's gonna cost me about $330 to do .
my question is would this actually increase or decrease the value of it since Marshall didn't make them in white tolex in 1988?

Thanx

Nope. You need silver tolex and I have I piece I could sell you. It would be enough to do 1 head but it my absolute last piece and its NOS. I wanted to keep it.

Mine was spray painted black (original tolex was silver) and missing the faceplates. I got the tolex from Marshall's supplier in England and had custom faceplates made (laser engraved plastic).
Before:
358461979.jpg

After:
358461991.jpg

Busher

Reaction score
Good job you did there.
How much are you asking ?

steelhorse

Reaction score
Great pic in the after shot, who did the job in the before?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Great pic in the after shot, who did the job in the before?

No clue who did that. I saw the amp for sale in Toronto a couple of years ago and it was already in that state. That person was not the original owner. He wanted too much for it and I passed. Some guy in the Ottawa region (where I live) bought it instead. He kept it for a while and then put it up for sale last year. That's when I bought it and started the restoration of it.

It absolutely sound killer. The PT is bad on it and I'm getting MM to make me a replacement. I ran it from an external PT as a test and it was better from that PT.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Yeah whoever butchered it should be shot.

Again, great job on the restoration. Did you re-create the panels? How does it look in back?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Again, great job on the restoration. Did you re-create the panels? How does it look in back?

I did the layout for the panels, front and back. Getting the proper fonts and the Jim Marshall signature took a lot of time and patience. Its not exactly like the original faceplates but I'm real happy with the way they turned out.

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
jcmjmp, I see you have a canadian 2550 model, how does it compared with a US 2550 model?

Canadian one has a laid-down PT.

Busher

Reaction score

Thanx

Still need an answer to my question please anyone :)

Busher

Reaction score
jcmjmp, I see you have a canadian 2550 model, how does it compared with a US 2550 model?

I heard the Canadian model tends to be noisy compare to the American one but Joe banamassa uses a Canadian jubilee , guess they can't be bad .

steelhorse

Reaction score
Still need an answer to my question please anyone :)

Me personally? I would re-do it in black and let the stock plates alone.

If you haven't actually done it yet, consider re-doing it in black tolex and keep the original plates as that will preserve the value slightly more imo.

I like how jcmjmp's turned out but he may not be as concerned with resale value as you appear to be. I think the silver tolex is off the hook, besides the previous owner butchered the tolex job and the plates on his so he just brought it back to life, if your plates are in good shape it's a tough choice.

doubletalkinjive

Reaction score
Me personally? I would re-do it in black and let the stock plates alone.

If you haven't actually done it yet, consider re-doing it in black tolex and keep the original plates as that will preserve the value slightly more imo.

I like how jcmjmp's turned out but he may not be as concerned with resale value as you appear to be. I think the silver tolex is off the hook, besides the previous owner butchered the tolex job and the plates on his so he just brought it back to life, if your plates are in good shape it's a tough choice.

I'll second this. My honest opinion would be to try keep it original and restore it back to its original condition. Do you have a picture of how bad shape it is in? If you decide to convert it to a silver one you should consider how to re-do the backpanel with the serialnumber properly.
jcmjmp's did indeed look horrible before the makeover...wonder how anyone could make themself mess around with such a nice looking stock amp in the first place....

GibsonSlash

Reaction score
I would not do anything to the head, keep it original if you think to resell it down the road.
You WILL devalue it once you have it redone.

Unless you will keep it forever and can't stand with the current look, then go for it, Busher.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Faceplates can be put back to stock form so that mod is completely reversible. For the tolex, I'd go with Black or Silver. Either way, the amp has been recovered. In my books, as long as the recover is good, you shouldn't lose more value than an amp in bad shape. I think silver with chrome would be better because of the rarity but that's just me. Make sure you get some silver piping to complete the look though.

Going to white would def not be good for value. It would have to be in one of the original Jubilee colors.

jcmjmp

Reaction score

I never tried a US model so I can't tell if there's a sound difference. The differences are the PT, toggle switch for power, no 16 ohm output and no voltage selection on the Canadian model. I love the look of a laydown PT, like the old plexis.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I think the silver tolex is off the hook, besides the previous owner butchered the tolex job and the plates on his

Mine was spray painted black, not re-tolexed in black. It was spray painted over the silver tolex, front grill fabric, top handle, silver piping.... everything.

Busher

Reaction score
here's some pics ,click to enlarge .

Attachments

• Jubilee.jpg
    Jubilee.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 26

steelhorse

Reaction score
Mine was spray painted black, not re-tolexed in black. It was spray painted over the silver tolex, front grill fabric, top handle, silver piping.... everything.

yeah ok whatever it still sucked and what possesses someone to say to themselves, 'hey I need to spray can this thing all black because it will be so cool'?

anyway looks better after the recover for sure. well done.

steelhorse

Reaction score
here's some pics ,click to enlarge .

I'd like to see larger pics front back sides and top if you could post them somewhere and post the link here but based on what I can tell out my blind eye (and that's the good one) it really doesn't look all that bad.

Gives it character. :hippie:

doubletalkinjive

Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad at all to me form what I can see and I think its possible to remove the setting marks on the front panel. Were they painted on or stickers?
I'd try to remove them, clean the front panel back to stock without dissolving the lettering and otherwise leave it as is. Try with water at first, if that does'nt work out maybe alcohol but be careful not to erase the other lettering, gotta be precise and only touch the added setting marks.
This is a Marshall 'Custom Series' amp and they're in their own realm just like the silver jubes are.
About the dent in the front of the chassis, I'd just leave it really.
It's one hell of an amp you got yourself there and I think it deserves being kept stock as much as possible.

Last edited: