Removing paint from 1969 basket weave grillcloth (and tolex)

CB Amp

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here. I needed some advice, and I also wanted to share my experience.
I have this 1982 cab from 1969, originaly red, but painted black. I guess it's a spray paint from the 80s, but it's rather thick for a spray paint. The dudes must have used a lot of cans.
There are many threads about removing paint from the tolex, and I got my own recipe for it. As you can see on the pics, I already begun on the back panel.
If it helps, I usually use methylated spirit with good results. It's not too aggressive on the tolex. I apply it generously with a paint brush, I let it soak between 30s and 1 min, and then wipe it with a stiffer brush and rince with spirit. Sometimes it needs 2 applications, depending on the paint. If you try, please wear a spray paint mask, or you get stone very quick ! :)

But I never did it with a grill cloth. The basket weave cloth is original (we see it on the 4th picture), and it would be nice to keep it. I thought I would remove it from the baffle board, and plunge it flat into a large tank full of methylated spirit. But first, I have to find the good tank... And then, will the white and black threads keep their color ?
So I gave a try with a piece of reissued BW cloth in methylated spirit. No discoloration at all. So that's great, it works with a RI grill cloth.

But do any of you has any experience with a vintage grill cloth which has perhaps different dyes ? Will threads keep their color ? I should have tried to cut a few threads from the vintage cloth and put them in methylated spirit... I'll do that.
And I would also be very interested if someone knows another way (perhaps easier !) of removing the paint from the grill cloth.
Thanks a lot.
Cyril.

DSCF4185s.JPGDSCF4186s.JPGDSCF4187s.JPGDSCF4188s.JPG

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have this 1982 cab from 1969, originaly red, but painted black. I guess it's a spray paint from the 80s, but it's rather thick for a spray paint. The dudes must have used a lot of cans.
There are many threads about removing paint from the tolex, and I got my own recipe for it. As you can see on the pics, I already begun on the back panel.
If it helps, I usually use methylated spirit with good results. It's not too aggressive on the tolex. I apply it generously with a paint brush, I let it soak between 30s and 1 min, and then wipe it with a stiffer brush and rince with spirit. Sometimes it needs 2 applications, depending on the paint. If you try, please wear a spray paint mask, or you get stone very quick ! :)

But I never did it with a grill cloth. The basket weave cloth is original (we see it on the 4th picture), and it would be nice to keep it. I thought I would remove it from the baffle board, and plunge it flat into a large tank full of methylated spirit. But first, I have to find the good tank... And then, will the white and black threads keep their color ?
So I gave a try with a piece of reissued BW cloth in methylated spirit. No discoloration at all. So that's great, it works with a RI grill cloth.

But do any of you has any experience with a vintage grill cloth which has perhaps different dyes ? Will threads keep their color ? I should have tried to cut a few threads from the vintage cloth and put them in methylated spirit... I'll do that.
And I would also be very interested if someone knows another way (perhaps easier !) of removing the paint from the grill cloth.
Thanks a lot.
Cyril.

View attachment 133131View attachment 133132View attachment 133133View attachment 133134
:welcome:to the forum.
Damn shame about the grill cloth.
I'd have suggested something a little less harsh for the paint on the tolex, but I have no clue if there's anything that can be done with the grill.
Solvents may just dissolve the grill materials.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
It depends what paint it is. I never have much luck removing paint myself, but I would always recommend just starting with water (damp rag) and see where you get with that. Then maybe a light abrasive like washing up liquid. If that doesn't work, bring out the big guns.

I've got a 1x18 I'm cleaning up here at the moment, and managed to clean off some white paint just by using a damp rag.

In the US I know people have had success in the past using 'goof off'.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
For those of us on this side of the world,
Methylated spirits is often referred to as denatured alcohol which means that it contains a denaturant in it so it cannot be consumed. Sydney Solvents methylated spirits is 99% methylated spirits with a 1% bitrex in it. If it didn’t contain denaturant in the methylated spirits it would be classed as normal alcohol that is safe to drink.
So, not that strong compared to Goof Off which is Acetone and Xylene.
Which is what I think he might need to get that amount of paint off of the fabric.
Test with a little part, best of luck.

K9Merc

Reaction score
Lots of work but looks like good project. I hope they didn’t get the speakers when they painted the grill cloth! Good luck hope it turns out awesome!

CB Amp

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.
I first fried some soft spirits : isopropyl alcohol, then ethanol. Both didn't do anything. So a damp rag would certainly just remove the dust :) The third step was what I called "methylated spirit". Mike, you understood I'm in Europe (France actually), and I had trouble to find the correct translation. But I guess it's the good one, that's what you describe.
It's 90% denatured ethanol and 10% methanol, certainly with something that make it undrinkable. It's sold here as a lamp fuel or bbq lighting fuel. And it works well without being too agressive on the tolex.
If Goof Off is acetone and xylene, it could be much to harsh. I tried acetone years ago on another amp. But alone, it melts the tolex. I have some xylene, it could be a try. But it's awfully toxic.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

Naptha/ Zippo Lighter fluid?

I use this for thorough cleaning of guitars.

Safe to use on fretboard, dried lacquer on the guitar itself.

It is considered a solvent and is pretty mild.

Small inconspicuous spot first.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
If you're worried about chemical damage to the grill cloth you might just be able to flip it around so the painted side is against the baffle. The basket weave grill cloth on my '68 cab had been painted with black spray paint. The guy who I bought it from had flipped it around and you'd never be able to tell without seeing the back. The weave pattern is symmetrical on both sides so unless the paint is so thick that it's clogging up the grill, or it leaked through to the back side, you could just flip it and it looks like new.

Ramhead

Reaction score
Maybe you can try it with nitro thinner?

CB Amp

Reaction score
If you're worried about chemical damage to the grill cloth you might just be able to flip it around so the painted side is against the baffle. The basket weave grill cloth on my '68 cab had been painted with black spray paint. The guy who I bought it from had flipped it around and you'd never be able to tell without seeing the back. The weave pattern is symmetrical on both sides so unless the paint is so thick that it's clogging up the grill, or it leaked through to the back side, you could just flip it and it looks like new.
Yes thanks, I thought about it. But the paint is so thick on the grillcloth that it blocks the weaving holes. It was such an awfull job :/ So the cloth acts now like a low pass filter on the cab ! Ok, it's a bass cab, but it's really muffled :) I put the T1281 speakers in another cab and they're ok. So if I just flip the grill cloth, I'll have the same problem :)

CB Amp

Reaction score
Maybe you can try it with nitro thinner?
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I tried it back in the days. It also attacks the tolex. Slower than acetone, but it's also damaging.
Thanks for your reply.

CB Amp

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

Naptha/ Zippo Lighter fluid?

I use this for thorough cleaning of guitars.

Safe to use on fretboard, dried lacquer on the guitar itself.

It is considered a solvent and is pretty mild.

Small inconspicuous spot first.
Thanks CS. Yes, it could be ok, and less aggressive. But naphta is expensive, and the cloth is more than 5 sqft with thick paint, so I will need a lot of it.
But I'll perhaps have to go for naphta. It's called something like "C fuel" here, and I realize that we also have "F fuel" that I never tried. But it's also expensive.

VintageCam0

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks a lot.
Cyril.

View attachment 133131View attachment 133132View attachment 133133View attachment 133134
Bonjour Cyril,
Je vais sous peu acquérir un vieux baffle Marshall rouge mais repeint en noir comme vous. Je me permets de vous écrire directement pour savoir si vous aviez réussi à récupérer le baffle dans son ensemble. Les photos semblent indiquer que vous étiez bien parti en tout cas. Auriez-vous des recommendations à me faire pour les produits à utiliser. Confirmez vous que l’alcool à bruler est une bonne option et n’abime ni ne décolore le tolex?

Par avance merci pour les conseils.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
For VintageCamO
Greetings Cyril,
I will soon acquire an old Marshall cabinet that is red but repainted black like you. I would like to write to you directly to find out if you managed to recover the entire cabinet. The photos seem to indicate that you were off to a good start anyway. Do you have any recommendations for products to use? Can you confirm that rubbing alcohol is a good option and does not damage or discolor the tolex?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

VintageCam0

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

So for the translation’s hassle, Cyril -and I- being French I thought I’d drop a message in French, but English it will be from now on!

Cheers.

Cam

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I have done this many times with a fair amount of success. Gel paint stripper made by Klean Strip works well but you need to keep your eye on it. Don't let it sit for too long. Work it with a mild scuff pad and a rag. Take your time and fine clean with lacquer thinner, super fine steel wool, and a rag. When complete spray the tolex with Plexus plastic cleaner. It will lubricate the material while not creating a giant shine. Forget about the grill cloth. Turn it around or replace it. The strands in the basketweave are very delicate and breakdown very easily. If you've got $900 to spare for the right casters and inserts my hat is off to you my friend!

Latest posts