Repair a Marshall footswitch DSL-401 JCM2000

• Thread starter light_n_roses
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Hi

My Marshall DSL-401 JCM2000 has the footswitch not working anymore, here some pitctures:

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 22.55.30.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 22.55.53.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 22.59.19.jpeg

Any advice on how I can test what is broken with the multimeter?

Thanks

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If all the solder connections are firm as they do appear to be attached then it is one of the switches or the cable. What does it not do? Maybe it's an amp problem.
When you switch on, it shoild get continuity between the plug and one of the switch hot contacts.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
i NEED one of these bad. broken or not lol.
whats the number on it?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's two switches, two resistors, a cable, and a shell. How hard can it possibly be?

Check for continuity through the cable. Tip, ring, and sleeve on the plug should each have continuity to one wire.

The switching should open and close the circuit when the button is pressed.

It's just as likely that the jack in the amp might have a problem.

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's two switches, two resistors, a cable, and a shell. How hard can it possibly be?

Check for continuity through the cable. Tip, ring, and sleeve on the plug should each have continuity to one wire.

The switching should open and close the circuit when the button is pressed.

It's just as likely that the jack in the amp might have a problem.

Moulded jack plug is were i would go to first, always very suspect, and yes how hard could it possibly be, and some guys want to do there own repairs.

Makes me wonder.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
Hi All!

Can't believe I got all this answers! I guess we all are at home for covid quarantine!

Ok this is the situation:

My amp has a clean channel, an overdrive channel OD1 and an overdrive 2 channel OD2. So if you start from clean channel and you press the left switch on the footswitch ( the one marked "Clean/Overdrive") you pass from clean to OD1, when you are on OD1 and you press the right switch on the footswitch (the one marked OD1/OD2) you pass from the OD1 channel to the OD2 channel. And this is how it should work.

Right now if you are on clean and you press the left switch you pass directly to the OD2 channel and you skip the first one.

Here some test I have made with the multimeter:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That's an interesting way of graphically describing your tests but it works.

It would appear that your footswitch is fully functional.

So...that leaves a problem in the amp. Jack or switching circuit.

light_n_roses

Reaction score
That's an interesting way of graphically describing your tests but it works.

It would appear that your footswitch is fully functional.

So...that leaves a problem in the amp. Jack or switching circuit.

Yeah I knew that wasn't a very academically scheme! Anyway I was thinking too that it wasn't the foot switch...I'll bring the amp to a technician just I can't now because of quarantine...

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Would the standard switch for a DSL not work exactly the same, minus the labelling? Thye must be an easy find.

ive heard yes and no on that bro. so im not really sure. there are aftermarket ones
i could get but im trying to keep it Marshall.
if all goes well this yr im after a friedman runt 20 or a JJ. if so i'll retire the 401
or have it modded at some point.
i dont hardly ever sell my unused gear so who knows.
anitoli gave a number above. if thats the true number and no reason to doubt
him then i see these from time to time on CL.

Puffer Fish

Reaction score
It is a basic foot switch. Other "brands" will work. The only reason to use a Marshall branded foot switch is because it came with the amp or because you simply like the brand to visually match---for functionality it does not matter.

The stock foot switch's biggest problem is the crap built-in molder plastic cable. The best mod to the footswitch is nip off that stock cable and throw it in the trash, put a 1/4" TRS jack into the foot switch chassis and use some better quality 1/4" to 1/4" TRS cable---you can use a longer cable and unplug it, a real improvement over the stock set up. : )

Latest posts