Replacement volume pot for my 85’ 2204 JCM 800?

• Thread starter 1956tvmodel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

1956tvmodel

Reaction score
I just changed out all the filter caps on my 85’ 2204. The amp sounds great and I swear it’s louder than the 2203x which is surprising but one issue I’m having with it is the volume pot is like a hairpin trigger. The slightest touch will make the amp go from off to super loud and my theory is that since the pot has no resistance possibly just because it’s an old pot compared to the pots on my 2203 re-issue.
If I can get a pot with resistance to it like on the 2203x then I can slowly bring the volume up.
So my question is what kind of pot would I be looking for with what rating etc?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    980.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    950.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    891.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    927.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 12.jpeg
    12.jpeg
    871.4 KB · Views: 5

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I just changed out all the filter caps on my 85’ 2204. The amp sounds great and I swear it’s louder than the 2203x which is surprising but one issue I’m having with it is the volume pot is like a hairpin trigger. The slightest touch will make the amp go from off to super loud and my theory is that since the pot has no resistance possibly just because it’s an old pot compared to the pots on my 2203 re-issue.
If I can get a pot with resistance to it like on the 2203x then I can slowly bring the volume up.
Thanks
1 Meg-ohm, audio taper

wakjob

Reaction score
If you're in the U.S., I've had good experiences with these guys...

Also, your circuit board might have a plain steel jumper marked c14?maybe. Fuzzy memory these days. It traces to the treble pot....
Put a 220k resistor in there and it will help with the master volume taper even more.

dtier

Reaction score
Thanks
I would check to see if the pot has been replaced with the wrong (linear) taper already.

If you're in the U.S., I've had good experiences with these guys...

Also, your circuit board might have a plain steel jumper marked c14?maybe. Fuzzy memory these days. It traces to the treble pot....
Put a 220k resistor in there and it will help with the master volume taper even more.
R14 actually. That could help as well. It is in series on the signal side of the master.

Attachments

• 2203prem.gif
    2203prem.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts