Replicating turning up the gain knob on a '78 Marshall 2204

• Thread starter Lee_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BakedBeans

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got my 2204 set up for an amazing clean tone with a little bite on the high input w/ gain at 4, and that's what I use the most with a Tele.

I also love the sound of the gain dimed for heavier stuff, but because it's not a channel switcher it means messing with the master volume every time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for replicating the dimed gain? It's not a super gainy amp in the first place, so it never gets to metal, more 70s classic rock.

I've tried with a fulltone OCD but didn't get close (selling it now).

Curious to hear your suggestions, wasn't sure if a preamp would be overkill or not, I listened to clips of the Friedman BE-OD but it was too gainy at zero gain.

I'm in the UK by the way
Try the J Rockitt "Dude" pedal. Will dial in the grit you like while adjusting the output to stay at unity with your clean sound. I love mine. It will not reach metal gain levels, but I don't do metal.

Fester58

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got my 2204 set up for an amazing clean tone with a little bite on the high input w/ gain at 4, and that's what I use the most with a Tele.

I also love the sound of the gain dimed for heavier stuff, but because it's not a channel switcher it means messing with the master volume every time.

Does anyone have a recommendation for replicating the dimed gain? It's not a super gainy amp in the first place, so it never gets to metal, more 70s classic rock.

I've tried with a fulltone OCD but didn't get close (selling it now).

Curious to hear your suggestions, wasn't sure if a preamp would be overkill or not, I listened to clips of the Friedman BE-OD but it was too gainy at zero gain.

I'm in the UK by the way
Ceriatone has a dual JCM 800 called 52 all acccess. Check it out. I have one and love it.

thesunship

Reaction score
You may consider a multi effect pedal that can send an overdrive you like while at the same time reduce the output level. For example, a boss ms-3 can activate both an analogue drive pedal and a level or eq cut at the same time with the push of one button.

blackcloud45

Reaction score
I have the exact same amp. I’ve had good luck (after countless pedals) with:

Jetter GS103
King Of Tone
Jetter Helium
Jetter Gold Standard
Tonefreak Abunai 2

In that order

blackcloud45

Reaction score
I’ll also note that for me, the KTR was too noisy with this amp. For single coils specifically, honorable mention goes to:

Keeley Katana
HBE Uno Mos
Mythos Chupacabra

Derrick111

Reaction score
Have you tried a boost pedal set to a clean boost? Even a Tube Screamer will do this. I also use a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, which is more transparent.
In my opinion, doing the reverse is better... I see everyone on here and elsewhere suggesting things to try and replicate real distortion, but that is nearly impossible to do well. Why not do the opposite? Since the amp is already best for the distortion, use a pedal to get the clean.

Set the amp for the overdrive yuo like, then use an EQ pedal with the volume on it set down to where things clean up (just like you would do with your guitar volume), then you have the added bonus of being able to EQ anything you feel is lacking or undesirable! Like your title requests, you are actually replicating what you would do with the guitar's volume, but with a pedal that you can select an instant clean instead of twisting the volume and the bonus of being able to EQ stuff to your liking.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Ceriatone has a dual JCM 800 called 52 all acccess. Check it out. I have one and love it.
I’ve been eying up the Ceriatone jcm51 all access ( 50 watts enough for me ) . But being in the UK I’m more drawn towards the Modulus ‘ marshbar’ 50 ( same sort of concept the jcm all access ) . Both on paper appear to be my dream amp , as is the Friedman JEL which is way too pricey considering it’s pcb based ( no issues with pcb but pcb should be more cost effective) . The Ceriatone does however offer more features than the Modulus , decisions 🤔
( either would cost me approximately the same at around £1100 , with same sort of lead time of about 8 weeks )

Dirty-D

Reaction score
DO WHAT V-MAN SAID! The obvious solution choice is 100% on the money and most likely what every one of your guitar heroes/teachers did through out the ages.It will also most definately make you a better more engaged more tentative player.

ampeq

Reaction score
If you have the dough the REAL fix is like UFO and Fester said, call Nik at Ceriatone. You will be so happy you did. Pick the one closest to what you want then see if there is anything you want to add to the amp. Nik will custom make it for you to what your needs are. I have 2 of his amps that I love and will never part with.