Reverb Advice: buy or run away?

• Thread starter Cossack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cossack

Reaction score
I've been jonesing for a JMP/JCM800 2-hole combo, preferably 50w. I go back and forth between 2x12 (looks cooler) and 1x12 (more practical for my needs), but a 2104/4104 or 4010 all fit the bill. I haven't been in a position to drop $2K on an amp lately, so this has been more in the daydream category for me. However, this came up on Reverb. It's in Italy; I'm in the USA. I got excited and started mentally shuffling money around and think I could swing this. However, I've gotten nervous about it.

The things that give me pause are:
1. Even with shipping, this one is cheaper than any I can find in the USA. That's a good thing unless it's a
2. The seller has no feedback yet.

The things that reassure me are:
1. It's not a high-profile amp. If I was a scammer, I'd choose something that would get more traffic.
2. The seller provided me with specific close-up photos (selectors on back panel) when asked (then added them to the listing).

I know all sellers have to start somewhere. How good is Reverb about covering your butt when sending this much money into the ether? Any thoughts on the wisdom of buying this?

https://reverb.com/item/68673848-ma...-50-watt-master-volume-1x12-combo-1980s-black

mAx___

Reaction score
Reverb offers great protection. During the virus craziness period I got a couple of packages lost and they covered it 100%.
Sellers receive payment once they provide a tracking number. If you don't receive the item after a period of time, you can start a claim and they will take care of it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How good is Reverb about covering your butt when sending this much money into the ether? Any thoughts on the wisdom of buying this?
Reverb almost always sides with the buyer, but the claims process is painfully slow if the seller won't cooperate.
PayPal adds another layer of protection, as do some credit cards.

Amp looks like it's in great shape.
Voltage selector, so just a fuse swap to go 120v.

IMO, the big risk is the shipping and potential damage in transit.
I had a 6101/6912 shipped from Ireland without any issues, but I've had a 4203 destroyed shipping from a few states away...

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I won't give you any useful answers to your specific questions, but since i'm from Europe and looking for Marshalls quite often, i tell you that the scamming has skyrocketed over the last years, and especially months. It gets more and more every day.

Over the last couple days there were scams for Supertremolo, Jcm900mkiii, JVM, even low stuff like DSL20 they try now.

Be very careful, because some of them seem to know Marshall stuff very well.

Cossack

Reaction score
I won't give you any useful answers to your specific questions, but since i'm from Europe and looking for Marshalls quite often, i tell you that the scamming has skyrocketed over the last years, and especially months. It gets more and more every day.

Over the last couple days there were scams for Supertremolo, Jcm900mkiii, JVM, even low stuff like DSL20 they try now.

Be very careful, because some of them seem to know Marshall stuff very well.
Thanks for that input. Were these scams on Reverb?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been jonesing for a JMP/JCM800 2-hole combo, preferably 50w. I go back and forth between 2x12 (looks cooler) and 1x12 (more practical for my needs), but a 2104/4104 or 4010 all fit the bill. I haven't been in a position to drop $2K on an amp lately, so this has been more in the daydream category for me. However, this came up on Reverb. It's in Italy; I'm in the USA. I got excited and started mentally shuffling money around and think I could swing this. However, I've gotten nervous about it.

The things that give me pause are:
1. Even with shipping, this one is cheaper than any I can find in the USA. That's a good thing unless it's a
2. The seller has no feedback yet.

The things that reassure me are:
1. It's not a high-profile amp. If I was a scammer, I'd choose something that would get more traffic.
2. The seller provided me with specific close-up photos (selectors on back panel) when asked (then added them to the listing).

I know all sellers have to start somewhere. How good is Reverb about covering your butt when sending this much money into the ether? Any thoughts on the wisdom of buying this?

https://reverb.com/item/68673848-ma...-50-watt-master-volume-1x12-combo-1980s-black
You got nothing to lose go for it! Thats a great amp and a great price, the seller is accepting offers so offer less and see what happens. :yesway:

Its Reverb youre protected. :yesway:

V-man

Reaction score
Typically you pay the seller on Reverb with a CC. Ir Reverb does not have your back (which would be odd in a blatant misrepresentation) you still have recourse w CC company.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a sweet looking amp. :yesway: In fact, I just might buy it out from under you. (just kidding) I'd go for it as long as there's a good return policy if i isn't up to your liking. Shove good guitar and an overdrive in front of it, and punch yourself in the ta-ta's all day!

Likes: an old-school, classic Marshall WITH the Presence control. (To me, a tube amp w/o a Presence control is usually a deal breaker. (That control is a good part of the Marshall sound on the pre-2000 Marshalls.)
Dislikes: no FX loop is limiting, but the price is right.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you if you decide to buy it.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I have that exact amp and they rip. That is a decent price for it, most of the 1x12 and 2x12's are getting pricey. Not sure why you're worried that the seller may be a "scammer". Maybe he's broke and needs to sell his amp?
My only issue would be that it's in Italy- I personally would be much more worried that the guy would do a shit packing job on it and it'll arrive damaged- they're a lot heavier than they look.

Central Scrutinizer

Misanthropic Humanitarian
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reverb ad translation, in case you have not done so already:

Marshall jcm800 mint condition Cono celestion g12 T Più foto a richiesta Perfettamente funzionante e in condizioni perfette. Spedizione possibile, inviatemi il vostro codice postale per conferma del costo
clear
208 / 5,000

Translation results​

Translation result​

Marshall jcm800 mint condition celestion g12 T cone More photos on request Fully functional and in perfect condition. Shipping possible, send me your postcode to confirm the cost

@Cossack , are you in The States? Asking in regard to the possible voltage diff between Italy and The States.

It looks like a great amp. Pretty darn clean.

The sound of Rock!

Reverb is buyer centered, as has been stated already.

Good luck with your decision.

EDIT: It looks like @fitz has already addressed the voltage issue. Never mind. Carry on.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Reverb ad translation, in case you have not done so already:

Marshall jcm800 mint condition Cono celestion g12 T Più foto a richiesta Perfettamente funzionante e in condizioni perfette. Spedizione possibile, inviatemi il vostro codice postale per conferma del costo
clear
208 / 5,000

Translation results​

Translation result​

Marshall jcm800 mint condition celestion g12 T cone More photos on request Fully functional and in perfect condition. Shipping possible, send me your postcode to confirm the cost

@Cossack , are you in The States? Asking in regard to the possible voltage diff between Italy and The States.

It looks like a great amp. Pretty darn clean.

The sound of Rock!

Reverb is buyer centered, as has been stated already.

Good luck with your decision.

EDIT: It looks like @fitz has already addressed the voltage issue. Never mind. Carry on.
:hbang:

Last edited:

Cossack

Reaction score
No, I missed it! I was lining up the cash and wasn’t quite ready.