Reverb Listing: Marshall Super Lead 1968

• Thread starter echoplexi1974
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick111

Reaction score
That happened to me once when a guy got a '67 Supertremolo on tour in Holland, took it home and then sold it to me. I checked the bias and it was quite low, so I set it proper and then it blew the mains fuse from the added current draw. I was freaked for a moment, but then realized that this was a Euro market Marshall, not USA, so the fuse markings were lower. This was 25 years ago and the same replacement fuse is still in there working today ;-) Surprised that your tech didn't blow the fuse when testing. A thorough test should would have uncovered this before closing the amp up and releasing it to the customer.

AlfaQV

Reaction score
Quick update, the amp is finally done on the bench and ready for me to pick up. Of all the weeks to have jury duty... 🤬

Anyway, the preamp tubes and power tubes needed replacing. My tech put some Russian replicas in but I want to get some NOS Mullards. Do you guys know what preamp tubes are best for or original to this amp (regarding short/long plate, 7025)?

playloud

Reaction score
Quick update, the amp is finally done on the bench and ready for me to pick up. Of all the weeks to have jury duty... 🤬

Anyway, the preamp tubes and power tubes needed replacing. My tech put some Russian replicas in but I want to get some NOS Mullards. Do you guys know what preamp tubes are best for or original to this amp (regarding short/long plate, 7025)?

I63s (short plate) for the preamp tubes. I've had good luck just buying good-testing used lots for ~US$50/piece.

XF2s for the power tubes. The more desirable "double getter" version was made up until early '68 I believe (?) The single getter version followed it. I suspect your amp could have come with either. Getting a matched quad of these is trickier, and a lot more expensive. You also have to be picky about condition - I've seen many sets listed as "lightly used" with most of the getter flash gone!

AlfaQV

Reaction score
I63s (short plate) for the preamp tubes. I've had good luck just buying good-testing used lots for ~US$50/piece.

XF2s for the power tubes. The more desirable "double getter" version was made up until early '68 I believe (?) The single getter version followed it. I suspect your amp could have come with either. Getting a matched quad of these is trickier, and a lot more expensive. You also have to be picky about condition - I've seen many sets listed as "lightly used" with most of the getter flash gone!
Thank you, that's hugely helpful!