Ridiculous string breakage!

• Thread starter Richardjordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
Heavier gauge strings are under more tension when tuned to pitch and will break more because of the extra tension. Sharp angles over the bridge will cause breakage also.

I would look for burs first, string angle on the bridge second, then lighter strings third.

Redstone

Reaction score
If you are using a low gauge of strings then it is most likely that the A & D strings are technically the thinnest. If you unwind them they certainly are. People always look at me funny when I say that but think about it. it makes sense. try wrapping those 2 strings around the tailpiece on your les paul.

carnada

Reaction score
Sandpaper those bad boys. The last time I broke a string was when I was bending to a high E on my fender strat. I never break strings!

Richardjordan

Reaction score
If you are using a low gauge of strings then it is most likely that the A & D strings are technically the thinnest. If you unwind them they certainly are. People always look at me funny when I say that but think about it. it makes sense. try wrapping those 2 strings around the tailpiece on your les paul.

That does make sense because the wound part never breaks, it's always the inner wire. What do you mean about wrapping it around the tail?

Richardjordan

Reaction score
I think it's time to re visit the guitar doctor! Thanks for all your suggestions. I think it has to be a set up issue to do with the angle at the bridge and the tension as so many people use so many brands of string without an issue. I'll get there!

On a good note - my new '97 Gibson firebird v should be arriving on Thursday, next question.....what strings should I use!

:applause:

:lol:

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Remove your Gauntlets...I had the same problem:D
RingWraith1.jpg

Peace

dhaywood17

Reaction score
Why not try simply moving the offending saddles to a couple of different strings and see if the breakages follow? That way you 'll know if the saddles for definite. I appreciate you'll have to re-intonate and what-not but might give you a head start rather buying new stuff.

Wiseblood

Reaction score
For reference:

But as Die has mentioned you should carefully examine your saddles and make sure they are smooth as hell (use the magnifying glass as mentioned) and then lube the bridge and the nut while your at it.

You should be able to use whatever gauge/brand strings and picks without breakage.

Brands may affect tone in a sense that some may stay brighter longer. And gauges will affect string tension and also pick thickness will also factor in regarding tension in terms of how stiff the attack will be when you dig in with your picking hand.

But changing strings & picks etc is not the solution, isolate the problem and fix it. Must be the bridge.

If your playing gigs something tells me your not a hack that's abusing the guitar with your picking technique, must be the saddles on the bridge.

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Did you have this problem before bringing the two guitars to the same tech? Maybe he caused the problem whether on purpose or indirectly...

Richardjordan

Reaction score
A friend with a very well set up sg has sinse told me that the bridge can be made for certain gauge strings so that when we increase the gauge the factory spec pinches the thinker strings causing hem to break?

Richardjordan

Reaction score
....he thus recommends getting a new graphite saddle or having my saddle filed to make the grooves wider?
:headbanger:

Latest posts