Rock is alive and kicking.

• Thread starter Bull Rock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giblesp

Reaction score
Would it matter if there were no more innovative bands? With the wealth of music that came out of the 20th C, so what?

I'm just glad I had my youth in the 90's.

Derrick111

Reaction score
I heard a local DJ say something very similar the other day. Couldn't believe it.
I really don't envy young bands trying to create music these days- the deck is heavily stacked against them.
I don't think of it so much as things stacked against as much as things being quite different. People still like music, but they have always gravitated toward a conglomeration handing/feeding it to them. Until we collectively stop doing that, we are in their house under their rules (read they give you what they think they can make the most/easiest money on - not what's best).

Sure, it used to be that there were some better offerings by the corporations, but there has always been 70 or so percent fluff with that too. Sure you could make money selling records back then, now you do it playing shows and with merchandise. But now a band can record themselves for cheap and sound great, and they have their own platforms to put that music out to the world themselves. Very empowering! Not stacked against so much as different. The problem is, most of us (listeners and bands included) are still trying to navigate today's environment with things like finding good music ourselves, putting it out there and be noticed, and how to survive as a band making a living in the current climate.

Last edited:

Latest posts