Rotator Cuff Surgery

• Thread starter MickeyS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyS

Reaction score
Got my shoulder worked on yesterday. Torn rotator, damaged cartilage, debris in the joint, all the good shit. The nerve block wore off about 4 hours ago. Norco doesn't really do it for me, but I'll deal with it. I think I'll try to play legato until my right arm feels good enough to play. Not gonna push it though. I'll see how I feel, at the moment, ain't gonna happen lol.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just note: make sure that you do all the physical therapy & exercises prescribed. Don't do too much, or anything that will set you back. It's going to be a rough recovery, for the next quite a few months.

I probably need to have that done too, as my shoulder is shot.

here's for a quick & full recovery!

MickeyS

Reaction score
Thank you! I had my hip replace before I turned 50, now the shoulder at 55. That's ok, I'd rather do it sooner than later. Great advice, I'm doing everything they tell me to do and nothing more. I'll supplement a bit to aid in healing and watch the diet, and use this time to take care of myself physically and mentally.

Sustainium

Reaction score
I read that people are afraid to have surgery now because the blood supply has spike proteins from Red Cross not screening donors blood. Who knows what’s going on.

Hoping op has a full recovery!

JohnH

Reaction score
Best wishes for that @MickeyS !
My dad had that and he got another 10 good years doing his gardening, and no more problems with it once he'd recovered.

So I guess you'll need more help with moving the gear from the Roadies now? Or mayne just a couple of strong Groupies??

Sustainium

Reaction score
If you plan on surgery, start blood banking your OWN blood for it. Yes this can be done. With a few months of prep time you'll be able to save up all you need.
Hospitals are also rejecting that plan. Many reports of post surgery patients reporting doctors didn’t even use their blood because of some rules or something. Seems it’s a crapshoot and after you’re under anesthesia you get what you get. Just a heads up on what our wonderful country is going through. I hate that I even brought it up but, people need to know. It’s affecting me also as I have one total hip replacement and desperately need the other hip done, luckily I’m retired but the pain can be overwhelming.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Well, my blood type is O Negative, universal donor, which is always in short supply, so if I were to donate for my own planned needs,
and there were units left over, they'd be more than happy to put it to good use.

Kyrunner1

Reaction score
I have had 5 shoulder surgeries, one of those a replacement and getting ready to have the other replaced. Both were damaged in the gym while lifting waaay more than I should have, arms gave out, bar came down, no spotter and both shoulders went quish. Didn't have the first surgery until years later. The left one (replaced) still gives me a lot of trouble but I think that, in part, is due to me wanting to get back to playing and driving and not doing ALL the aforementioned physical therapy. I expect to do the right thing this time. Good luck with yours and I wish you well. It truly is about the PT. And the surgeon and his team of course. Good luck!

Doug63

Reaction score
you dont need blood for Rotator Cuff surgery lol. I still have the Oxys they prescribed for me and I used a sleeve that had cold water running thru it and ibuprophen when I had 3 RC surgeries the sleeve works wonders and you dont get clogged up like the oxys will do.

MickeyS

Reaction score
@Doug63 my friend just brought me the cooling sleeve, so I'm getting that rolling. Pain meds take the edge off but are already solidifying my guts to cement. I'm hoping the cooling sleeve offers some relief.

rockpit

Reaction score
I had rotator cuff surgery 5-6 years ago. It was a repair instead of replacement. I have heard that replacement is quicker rehab and better end result. Mine did not quite qualify for replacement. I have full range of motion, but no strength. Playing guitar for any length of time is very uncomfortable. Good luck with your rehab and recovery.