Satriani Cover - Always W/ Me...jcm 800 And Hss Strat

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dptone5

Reaction score
Friends....looking for your feedback please.

Still in the early stages of learning Logic Pro X on my MacBook Pro. Here is a take of just messing around with this song. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination!!

Looking for feedback on the recording and tone. Here are the specifics:

Backing Track - Always w/ Me, Always w/ You
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS - Atomic Bridge humbucker pickup
Fulltone Fulldrive II overdrive
JCM 800 - 2203X - Master Volume = 4, Pre-Amp = 8
1960BX with 25 Watt Greenbacks
Single SM-57
ART Pro MPA II - Tube Pre-Amp
ART Pro VLA II - Tube Compressor (very minimal compression on input)
Focusrite 2i4 USB 2.0 Audio Interface

As always, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

DP

Coronado

Reaction score
Nicely done!! Wish I could give you some constructive feedback, but I got NOTHIN! I'll plug into my monitors and give it another listen, but just from my laptop monitor speakers, that sounded frickin' great! Nice job DP... Nice style on the playing - tone sounded good too.

ColorfulMusic

Reaction score
JS is who I primarily listen too. If you are trying to get HIS tone?? my first reaction is forget it. I think your tone was/is nice, you played clean and I could hear emotion. Capturing Joe's tone is almost impossible because he constantly switches gear and guitars, and IMO nobody plays like the maestro. It is in his hands man!

Only thing I would say constructively about your track is, you need some tubes burnin hot in the melody. Meaning I think you should have some of that beautiful sustained feedback you get when holding notes. It sounded too clean to me. For example when I record backing track/rhythm, my cabinet is mic'd in a ISO cab. So I get barely any feedback or tube sustain as I call it. But when I do the melody and solo I open up ISO cab so I can get the killer feedback.

Cant wait to hear more!!!:applause:

Bear R.

Reaction score
Great Job man..that sounded Incredible..Keep 'em coming DP..I'd like to hear more..

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Wow that was beautiful DP! I don't know the song so I don't have any reference of the original but your version sounded great!

dptone5

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the kind words! Much appreciated.

I am looking to try the 2 mic technique as it still sounds a little buzzy to my ears. I EQ'd it for "Rock Guitar", which basically cuts out anything above 10k. That cleaned it up some.

Also, I get a lot more tube compression with the MV on my 800 around 6. At 4, it is not quite as smooth and is a little more raw.

I need to try that on my next recording.

dptone5

Reaction score
Only thing I would say constructively about your track is, you need some tubes burnin hot in the melody. Meaning I think you should have some of that beautiful sustained feedback you get when holding notes. It sounded too clean to me. For example when I record backing track/rhythm, my cabinet is mic'd in a ISO cab. So I get barely any feedback or tube sustain as I call it. But when I do the melody and solo I open up ISO cab so I can get the killer feedback.

Cant wait to hear more!!!:applause:

Thanks for the advice. It is really clean. I was sitting right in front of the cab with my back to it. Another thing I noticed about maple necks as opposed to rosewood is that they tend to sound more snappy and articulate.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Friends....looking for your feedback please.

Still in the early stages of learning Logic Pro X on my MacBook Pro. Here is a take of just messing around with this song. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination!!

Looking for feedback on the recording and tone. Here are the specifics:

Backing Track - Always w/ Me, Always w/ You
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS - Atomic Bridge humbucker pickup
Fulltone Fulldrive II overdrive
JCM 800 - 2203X - Master Volume = 4, Pre-Amp = 8
1960BX with 25 Watt Greenbacks
Single SM-57
ART Pro MPA II - Tube Pre-Amp
ART Pro VLA II - Tube Compressor (very minimal compression on input)
Focusrite 2i4 USB 2.0 Audio Interface

As always, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide feedback.

DP

Wow, great job dude! That is by far my favorite JS tune...love how he transitions the major into the minor, and then back to the major...and is a great lesson to all whom may not recognize the difference. I wouldn't of even attempted to replicate that masterpiece...Bravo!

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
DP thats great! I like that your own personality came through.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
If you find it a little fizzy, use a low pass/high cut filter on your EQ plugin starting at around 6k and move up to 7 and down to 5 while listening. That will clear up the fizz.
Also, maybe lower your guitar about 3db in the mix so it sits in a little better.

dptone5

Reaction score
If you find it a little fizzy, use a low pass/high cut filter on your EQ plugin starting at around 6k and move up to 7 and down to 5 while listening. That will clear up the fizz.
Also, maybe lower your guitar about 3db in the mix so it sits in a little better.

Hey BD my friend. Thanks for the advice. I will try these things this week and let you know how I make up.

DP

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey BD my friend. Thanks for the advice. I will try these things this week and let you know how I make up.

DP

Anytime mate. Also too, you can use a high shelving filter instead of the low pass/high cut. A shelf will lower all frequencies above the knee but won't completely cut them out. All depends on what you are going for.