SD Saturday Night Special vs Burstbucker 1 & 2

• Thread starter Shane Stevenson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
Has anybody has a chance to use these two bucker sets? I’m about to make a pickup swap in my LP Standard but I don’t want to rush into it.

At first I was liking the 498s better than my BBs but found myself actually liking the BB 2 bridge better in the mix of a band. If I could find something just a little hotter, but clearer and fuller than the BB 2 I’d be good to go.

When I read the description of the SD Saturday Night Specials it nails exactly what I’m looking for. I would rather hear from somebody who has actually used the SDs rather than rely on what the company has to tell me.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I've never used the Saturday Night specials, but I really like the burst bucker pro's that are in my '04 LP Standard. I think they're an underrated pickup and doesn't get as much love as they deserve. If you're looking for more gain why not just use a dirt pedal instead of a pickup swap?

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I've never used the Saturday Night specials, but I really like the burst bucker pro's that are in my '04 LP Standard. I think they're an underrated pickup and doesn't get as much love as they deserve. If you're looking for more gain why not just use a dirt pedal instead of a pickup swap?
I appreciate your input. My thing is that I’m looking for better basic quality of tone. I have all the tools I need for more gain. At the moment I’m looking for thicker but clear bridge pup and a more clear and less wooly neck pup. When I get that then I have what I need for mor gain or whatever else. My base tone is important.

The way I operate is I try to get the best quality of tone with just the amp and guitar and then build on that. Well, I’m stuck on the amp and guitar thing right now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like the BBs in my guitar are all that bad, I mean, they are usable. My tone is good and people compliment it, however, for me it’s just a hair off from where I want to be.

For now I’m down to the SD Saturday Night Specials or the Whole Lotta Humbucker sets.

It’s really hard chasing tone from having to read opinions but I don’t have an option when it comes to pickups. Tone chasing is an evil thing to get mixed up with. I urge all the kids to stay away from it for as long as they can 😄.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I have a set of SNS for two years now.. I really don't know how to describe the tonality of it... To me it is almost like an APH2, but a little distorted and brighter, with an almost a weird "howl"... I was curious how an A4 magnet would sound compared to an A2 or A5... I am still on the honeymoon phase...

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Hopefully my pickup quest is over. I just ordered the Bare Knuckle Black Dog set for my LP. I hope this does it for me.
Interested in your feedback--esp if you like the BB2. "Clearer" tends to be the opposite of "fuller" as far as pickups go. The BDs weren't "clear" enough for me, but plenty full

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully my pickup quest is over. I just ordered the Bare Knuckle Black Dog set for my LP. I hope this does it for me.

Sorry, I missed this post. I remember now that you posted in my thread. I wasn't going to bring up Bare Knuckles because they're so pricey, but since you already ordered them... I got my Black Dog bridge pickup today and it's awesome. I think you're going to be happy with them, I am. I like the bridge BD so much I already ordered the neck pickup to go with it. I should have ordered the set to begin with.

So I'll have BK Black Dogs in my Standard and 490s in my Tribute and I'm very happy with both.

Last edited:

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
My Black Dogs are supposed to arrive this Wednesday but I’ll be out of town working, hopefully I can get them installed when I get back on Thursday. That’s something I should really learn to do. It’s gonna cost $65 locally but I expected that.

I’ll be sure to post a decent review when I can.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
My Black Dogs are supposed to arrive this Wednesday but I’ll be out of town working, hopefully I can get them installed when I get back on Thursday. That’s something I should really learn to do. It’s gonna cost $65 locally but I expected that.

I’ll be sure to post a decent review when I can.

Mine was supposed to be here tomorrow, but it showed up today. Maybe you'll get yours a day early, too. :fingersx:

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
Has anybody has a chance to use these two bucker sets? I’m about to make a pickup swap in my LP Standard but I don’t want to rush into it.

At first I was liking the 498s better than my BBs but found myself actually liking the BB 2 bridge better in the mix of a band. If I could find something just a little hotter, but clearer and fuller than the BB 2 I’d be good to go.

When I read the description of the SD Saturday Night Specials it nails exactly what I’m looking for. I would rather hear from somebody who has actually used the SDs rather than rely on what the company has to tell me.
Got 'em in my paul and LOVE the tone! I now pretty much live with the pickup switch in the middle and change tone with minute adjustments of the neck or bridge volume pots!
Back off of volume on the guitar and they clean up nicely!

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Got 'em in my paul and LOVE the tone! I now pretty much live with the pickup switch in the middle and change tone with minute adjustments of the neck or bridge volume pots!
Back off of volume on the guitar and they clean up nicely!
I have Gibson BB1 & 2 in my Epi LP with Toneman 59' wiring. They really work nice for what I do, 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's rock and alternative.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I have Gibson BB1 & 2 in my Epi LP with Toneman 59' wiring. They really work nice for what I do, 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's rock and alternative.
I had a 2018 Traditional LP with BB 1 & 2 and never once did I have an urge to change those pickups out for something different. I was satisfied with them. It’s weird how I’m not satisfied with the same pickups in a different LP. My current LP, the one that started this thread, is about 1.5lb heavier than my Traditional. I’m guessing that’s the factor since I’m no wood expert.

I never wanted to bash Burstbuckers because I know that with the right guitar they can be pretty good pups.

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
I had a 2018 Traditional LP with BB 1 & 2 and never once did I have an urge to change those pickups out for something different. I was satisfied with them. It’s weird how I’m not satisfied with the same pickups in a different LP. My current LP, the one that started this thread, is about 1.5lb heavier than my Traditional. I’m guessing that’s the factor since I’m no wood expert.

I never wanted to bash Burstbuckers because I know that with the right guitar they can be pretty good pups.
Yeah, they just sound perfect in mine for what I do. Just luck of the draw on why they may be different. Hand built guitars are IMO like handmade boats, no 2 are exactly alike.

I have been thinking about picking up another LP with different sounding PU's for higher gain songs we do and for alt tunings. Maybe some SD Slash, super dist., with modern wiring and split coils, but that's down the road. I can get my Burstbuckers to handle it for now since I also use a Stomp XL to change the amp voicing vs changing pickups.

BTW, I also put Classic 57's in my Epi 335, and they sound awesome as well with 50's wiring again from Toneman. So you may want to check those out too, but I would do a 57+ in the bridge of an LP. Those 57's in my 335 are just a little hotter and definitely clearer than the BB's.

Good luck in what you do, and keep us posted!!

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
⬆️ It’s a done deal. I ordered the Bare knuckle Black Dog set.

USPS never ceases to amaze me with their super speedy and thoughtful carrier service. My pickups physically came to the the last in the chain facility, which is only 12 minutes from my house. Then they decide to ship my package to a facility far away but in the same state. This is the 5th time it’s happened to me in the recent past. If I conducted business like that I would be fired.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I got my BKs in and they are marked as being nickel covers. That’s what I ordered. They look chrome though. I compared them to my other chrome pickups covers in my LP now and I can’t tell the difference.

I didn’t order the aged covers so I knew they would be somewhat brilliant. It’s not even a big deal but I ordered nickel instead of chrome for tone and not looks.

Does this look right to you guys who know better than I do? …

Attachments

• IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 7

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
Well I finally got my Bare Knuckle Black Dogs installed and let me say that I’m truly impressed. They are far and away an improvement over the stock Burstbuckers. In comparison, both pickups are much clearer than the BBs with no traces of fizziness on an overdriven amp. I was worried that they might be too dark by reading the description but they are definitely on the bright side, but not too bright.

The bridge reminds me of a hot rodded tele on steroids. Here is the surprise to me…I’m loving the neck pup! I’ve gone for so long having a muddy neck pup in my LP that I kind of got away from using it to solo with. The only time I would really use the neck pup is for woman tones or to play on the middle position. Now I can see myself using the neck pickup much more like I did with my Strats. I’m not the guy who chases strat tones from an LP neck pup so if that’s what you’re looking for then get something other than the Black Dog. Maybe something well under 8k. I was wanting clear, punchy, beefy and articulate power. Thats exactly what I got with the BD neck pup. Both pups can be described the same way, I’m just a little excited because I wasn’t expecting the neck to be so great.

Now here is the kicker, when I was getting my pups installed I got a chance to play several other guitars with different pups. I picked an over seas PRS with some pearly gate humbuckers (uncovered) and I was blown away. I always disregarded them because of trying to predict tone by reading the specs on the pearly gates. Bad idea. Those pups were wonderful.

I wasn’t at all inspired by the SD JB and whatever the matching neck SD pup was. That’s just me though.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got my Bare Knuckle Black Dogs installed and let me say that I’m truly impressed. They are far and away an improvement over the stock Burstbuckers. In comparison, both pickups are much clearer than the BBs with no traces of fizziness on an overdriven amp. I was worried that they might be too dark by reading the description but they are definitely on the bright side, but not too bright.

The bridge reminds me of a hot rodded tele on steroids. Here is the surprise to me…I’m loving the neck pup! I’ve gone for so long having a muddy neck pup in my LP that I kind of got away from using it to solo with. The only time I would really use the neck pup is for woman tones or to play on the middle position. Now I can see myself using the neck pickup much more like I did with my Strats. I’m not the guy who chases strat tones from an LP neck pup so if that’s what you’re looking for then get something other than the Black Dog. Maybe something well under 8k. I was wanting clear, punchy, beefy and articulate power. Thats exactly what I got with the BD neck pup. Both pups can be described the same way, I’m just a little excited because I wasn’t expecting the neck to be so great.

Now here is the kicker, when I was getting my pups installed I got a chance to play several other guitars with different pups. I picked an over seas PRS with some pearly gate humbuckers (uncovered) and I was blown away. I always disregarded them because of trying to predict tone by reading the specs on the pearly gates. Bad idea. Those pups were wonderful.

I wasn’t at all inspired by the SD JB and whatever the matching neck SD pup was. That’s just me though.

Can't believe I missed this post, I was waiting for it. :facepalm:

Glad you like them, man! I'm looking forward to getting my Neck BD, especially after what you described. I love the bridge, it's just like you described. I have to say, it's much different that playing the high output pickups I'm used to, and even the 490s that I also love. It's very sensitive, mistakes shine rather than getting washed out like I'm used to. lol. Also I have a couple of high frets on my LP that I was able to ignore before, but not anymore, I'm going to have to address that.

Last edited: