Mojotone British 800 2204 clone---- crazy voltages

• Thread starter armandodiaz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Those small probe points on the back of the chassis, if connected to pin #8 on each EL34 socket, and with a 1 ohm resistor between pin #8 and ground are a great idea.

Unless you do something really stupid, the probe points will only see millivolts and milliamps.

You can probe them with a digital multimeter to measure the voltage drop across the resistor (between pin 8 and ground) and that gives you a direct analogue measurement of the bias current. Ohm's Law, Voltage V = Current I x Resistance R reduces to V = I when R = 1. So if you see a 35 mV drop across the resistor, you have a 35 mA current.

Far safer IMHO than going prodding around inside a live chassis.

What I would not do, for sure, however, is to put probe points in for any of the high voltage points.

NickKUK

Reaction score
Those small probe points on the back of the chassis, if connected to pin #8 on each EL34 socket, and with a 1 ohm resistor between pin #8 and ground are a great idea.

Unless you do something really stupid, the probe points will only see millivolts and milliamps.

You can probe them with a digital multimeter to measure the voltage drop across the resistor (between pin 8 and ground) and that gives you a direct analogue measurement of the bias current. Ohm's Law, Voltage V = Current I x Resistance R reduces to V = I when R = 1. So if you see a 35 mV drop across the resistor, you have a 35 mA current.

Far safer IMHO than going prodding around inside a live chassis.

What I would not do, for sure, however, is to put probe points in for any of the high voltage points.

Unless scaled down to mV using a voltage divider and a low mA fuse inline.
9M/1Mohm divider can be useful.