Selling JMD for Haze 40...am I being stupid?

• Thread starter shooto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shooto

Reaction score
alright- layin' it all out-

I love the JMD- got the 50w head- and my main gig amp at the moment-

that said, here's why I'm thinking of the switch-

I'm playing 90% dirt when we play, and from the JMD, that is really from the two Haze preamps (7,13...mostly 13)...I don't play any other settings, I really dig those two the most-

and although a 50w / 4x12 setup is glorious, it is still a bit overkill for our clubs...

besides, I have my '78 JMP 2204 I can bring out whenever I really want to swing a big stick

I rarely go directly into a board and really prefer the air push a mic'ed amp gives when recording-

so, since I only use the Haze settings anyway, and the Haze is supposed to have a great clean w/ effects loop, that's really all I'd need for a usual gig (along with a another 1x12 ext. cab)...it's all I use anyway-

would I be happy with the Haze and an ext. cab?....does the JMD really nail the Haze?...

am I just being stupid and should keep the JMD for its bells and whistles?

I'd also probably getting rid of my Tweaker 40 along with the JMD, if the Haze 40 setup covered all needed bases...so I'd be making a little extra scratch as well

thanks

shooto

Reaction score
Id keep the jmd and buy a haze.

I own a haze 40 and like it....but they can be had used for stupid cheap.

please tell me about the Haze-

have you compare it to the JMD's Haze?

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Selling JMD for Haze 40...

image.png

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure you do what YOU want. if you do then no it can't be a stupid decision.

if you're unsure then make it a point to GET sure before you sell/trade but no, if it's what you want then do it.

i would keep the JMD but i would have a lot more use from it with what i do than with a haze. a haze would be far too limited compared to what i already own to justify it but for me the JMD would add to what i have.

for you if the haze does all of what you want/need and you're wasting the JMD essentialy then it makes sense.

then again i'm all for having extra too but that's me ;)

just make SURE before you change your rig but it sounds like based on what you've said the JMD is way more amp than you need and the Hze is "just right".

Cadblaster

Reaction score
Yes,, I think your smoking crack

But, people like what they like :)
Sounds like what you need is a good 2x12 cab to go with your 50w head or perhaps trade your head for a JMD501.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Well at least he isn't selling it to buy the AFD combo! That's just plain retarded! I have a Haze 40 and I like it. After doing the mods it is a great combo. Versatile and complete features. Best Marshall combo since the 4210!:rock:

MKB

Reaction score
I owned and gigged with a Haze 40 for several years, and recently sold it as it never got used any more since I got my JMD501 and JMD 100W head. I never even turned it on. The simple fact was the JMD got ALL the Haze 40 tones, plus an incredible array of other tones.

For instance, the Haze 40 does a very nice low/mid gain vintage rock tone. It is a bit on the mellow side though. However, if you need a metal crunch, the Haze 40 won't do it without an external pedal. The JMD can cover all the low/mid/high gain tones by itself, and I firmly believe the JMD's cleans are better than the Haze's (which are still good BTW).

As with most two channel all tube combos, the basic overall tone shaping of the overdrive preamp cannot be easily changed (you basically have the same general tone with different gain levels). The Haze has this characteristic. But the JMD can have wildly different harmonic structures, you can get the screaming highs/scooped mids/thunderous lows on some preamps, and the warm mids and rolled off highs/lows on others. The JMD can replace a LOT of other amps you might need.

One other thing to consider with the Haze 40: it is a rather difficult beast to keep running correctly. Due to its compact design and the tube's proximity to the internal speaker (the power tubes almost stick into the speaker basket cutouts), it is almost impossible to get tubes nonmicrophonic enough to work in the Haze 40. Every tube I stuck into it would rattle at some volume or gain level, it was especially bad on higher gain/volume settings with the guitar volume set low. The great thing about the JMD is it does not have preamp tubes, so microphonics are not nearly as much of an issue as with other tube combos. I've gigged hard with the JMD501 for over a year, and it has been completely trouble free.

Now if you use the Haze 40 exclusively with an extension cabinet, the microphonic tube issues go completely away. But if you want to use the Haze 40 with its internal speaker at gig levels, you will most likely run into microphonic tube issues at some time.

IMHO do not sell the JMD for the Haze 40, I haven't missed the Haze 40 for a single second since I stopped using it and started using the JMD. I really do believe at gigging levels the JMD does everything much better than the Haze 40, and has none of the maintenance troubles the Haze 40 has. One final thing; if it makes any difference, the Haze 40 sounds BAD at low volume levels, the JMD is one of the best amps ever at low volumes.

Mockingbird

Reaction score
So let's get this right........

You are thinking about trading one of the best amps Marshall has made for a errrrr how can I politely put this......not one of the best amps Marshall has ever made.

You blokes sure smoke some strong gear your side of the pond !

MKB

Reaction score
Two other things I forgot to mention comparing the Haze 40 to the JMD:

First, the speaker emulated XLR out of the JMD is a spectacular work of art, it is very difficult to get a better mic'd tone than just using the XLR out of the JMD. The speaker emulated out of the Haze 40 is terrible sounding, the second worst speaker emulated out they have ever made (the worst is in the 9001 preamp). While the JMD's emulated out has EL34 power amp and 4X12 cab modeling added, the Haze's direct out only samples the preamp out.

With all this slagging of the Haze 40, it does have one advantage over the JMD; the Haze has a Univibe effect. The JMD does not for some inexplicable reason. So if you have a JMD and you want to play Hendrix or Bridge Of Sighs, you're going to need a pedal. The JMD could really use a Univibe effect and a Super Lead amp model.

Nicholas666

Reaction score
If the JMD does it right...why mess it up?? Maybe it does not do the Haze 100%..Maybe 95%.. Maybe though that 5 percent of accuracy will dissapoint you..

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you're GASing for a Haze wait for one to come up used and go for it. They are great amps...with a few easily solvable issues. Keep the JMD though. This will be a future classic, I can feel it in my water. :cool:

DSL 50

Reaction score
although a 50w / 4x12 setup is glorious, it is still a bit overkill for our clubs...

How so?

It's not like a 4x12 cab is any louder than a 1x12, it just sounds bigger and better................