Selling something? List a price!

• Thread starter Goes211
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goes211

Reaction score
Sorry for the rant...

One thing I hate about classified ads is when someone is selling something and they don't put a price. Instead they say, "Make me an offer." This is usually followed by "No low-ballers."

I call bullshit. You wanna sell it, then tell me what you want for it. Don't put the responsibility on the buyer to "wow" you with an offer or convince to you to sell.

Obviously it's different if I start the conversation with "hey, you interested in selling that?"

Sorry. It just bugs me.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Also when they post a for sale with no photos...
Like we are supposed to imagine what your stuff looks like...

brp

Reaction score
Ya, I hear you dude. I'm the same way, when CL ads say "make an offer. Low ballers ignored".
Several times in the past I've emailed them saying "how about you just tell us what you want for it?" But now I just move along.
These same guys usually end up re-listing.

Also as Micky said, a guitar listed @ $2500 with no pics = instant fail.
Or guys who re-list like a dozen times (or more) over a couple weeks/months with no price drop at all. Hello?! No one wanted it at that price the other 12 times you listed it, surprise! We still do not.

On the subject, another pet peeve of mine is when people make threads in the entirely inappropriate subforum when there is one (or more) subforums for exactly their type of thread
:naughty: :hmm: :wave:

Goes211

Reaction score
On the subject, another pet peeve of mine is when people make threads in the entirely inappropriate subforum when there is one (or more) subforums for exactly their type of thread
:naughty: :hmm: :wave:

My mistake. I didn't realize which part of the forum I was in. Not trying to break the rules here. I was in rant mode and wasn't paying attention. Sorry :(

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
or they don't post a general location..
hell yeah I'll take that amp. oh,shipping from Australia..n/m:mad:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
CR - Can we move this to the Member Classified section?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
These are the morons who obviously never sell their stuff...

brp

Reaction score
These are the morons who obviously never sell their stuff...

Yep.

And gotta love the guys who post "re:" rants when their stuff gets flagged, accusing one guy of being a flagger spitefully taking down their ad.

As CL makes clear, it takes multiple, discrete flags to have your ad removed but guess what? They also explicitly state that the more ads of yours that get flagged down, the less flags it takes to have future ads associated with that account/email addy auto-removed.
So keep posting those prohibited "re" rants and pretty soon you'll manifest your destiny and it WILL only take one flag to pull your ad. :applause:

33KHD

Reaction score
I liked this guy...

http://www.marshallforum.com/member...r-jubilee-2550-1972-1960-basketweave-cab.html

I was being genuine and trying to help. I can understand why a guy would come to this forum to sell a Marshall...but for Christ sake use some common sense!

I read these threads to see what gear is going for and to read what the other members have to say about the item. I thought him telling me not to discuss it openly was funny as hell.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
or like someone on here said,we should pay over the asking price to others & give our stuff away for free to the poor Marshall players.:hmm:

andyg_prs

Reaction score
Then there are the scammers. I had a guy contact me about my JVM wanted ad.....he claimed to be from Singapore but living in Madrid... I replied in Spanish that I visited Madrid all the time and when could I come to see it....funnily enough he didn't respond back and I also notice now that he has been banned. I would love to know the history behind that. His user ID was 'soso' which funnily enough means 'bland' in Spanish.... :)

Reaction score
lol this thread is great!!! check this guy out...

***Marshall - JCM800 2x12 combo 4104 50 watts

I messaged him about a year ago (literally) asking if he would take partial trade I offered him $700 cash and a fender mexican stratocaster which was pristine with hardshell case..he replied saying he's willing to take the fender guitar for partial trade but I would have to give him $900 cash...lol his ad is still up same price and it was up months before I even made an offer... oh and if your apart of this forum I feel sorry for you.

Goes211

Reaction score
A couple more things I'm noticing out there...

- There are a lot of guys selling rare (or "RARE!!!") gear. Seems like rare guitars would be, I don't know, more rare.

- Fuzzy, blurry, or out of focus pics. Don't we all pretty much have digital camera capabilities at this point? Remember, you're trying to get someone's interest to give you money for what you're selling. Maybe put forth just a little bit of effort.

- The term "case candy" has to be one of the silliest things. If it comes with a strap, tags, booklet, certificate, strings, picks and a cable, just say so. Don't make me guess what the "candy" is. I know, I'm a crab.

- Does the "No Scammers or low-ballers!!!" in your ad actually keep the scammers and low-ballers away or does it just make you sound defensive and annoying to us legit buyers otherwise interested in what you're selling?

- And lastly, for all my complaining, I've dealt with a lot of cool people both online and through CL who I've bought, sold and traded with. It's fun to pick up new stuff and know that your old gear will be enjoyed by someone else as well.

msgdman

Reaction score
I agree with every comment above, hate all the same things, only thing I will throw at you playing devils advocate:

The sticky at the top says this:

"All transactions and business are to be conducted privately between parties and should not take place on this site".

A new person just coming here to sell something may interpret that as saying "Post what you got and then do everything through PM and email, leave the details out of here".

Just a thought.

Latest posts