Series 1 BB's on reverb

• Thread starter granttg83
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

granttg83

Reaction score
Been a sudden flurry of these recently...a little like waiting for a bus!

What does everyone make of these...admittedly limited photos on all three!

The 1961 is interesting, looks a bit too clean though. Never seen a RM plate either? The JTM45 62 looks the real deal to me...just a shame about those "improvements"!

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I dont get why they are so expensive.
Reissues are available for about £1000 fairly easily,
do the originals sound better ?
I would expect the reissues to be more reliable,
and probably more authentic as a lot of the originals will have been repaired / modded.
Other old amps about the same age are almost worthless.
I want to understand because there is clearly something I am missing, but they do not appeal to me at all.

playloud

Reaction score
I dont get why they are so expensive.
Reissues are available for about £1000 fairly easily,
do the originals sound better ?
I would expect the reissues to be more reliable,
and probably more authentic as a lot of the originals will have been repaired / modded.
Other old amps about the same age are almost worthless.
I want to understand because there is clearly something I am missing, but they do not appeal to me at all.

As far as reissues go, the Bluesbreakers are some of the worst/least accurate. Two obvious issues are incorrect power tubes (5881, at least on the standard ones) and incorrect cabinet dimensions. The appearance leaves a lot to be desired also.

As far as reliability goes, why would they be more reliable? The parts (e.g. transformers) are lower quality in general, and the PCB ones are obviously harder to service.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Been a sudden flurry of these recently...a little like waiting for a bus!

What does everyone make of these...admittedly limited photos on all three!

The 1961 is interesting, looks a bit too clean though. Never seen a RM plate either? The JTM45 62 looks the real deal to me...just a shame about those "improvements"!
well... Music Zoo is a well-known high dollar music store, w/ a good reputation. Don't know about Jules of Canada...

Jules is pick up in person, so, there's that...

At NAMM, when the companies bring out all their custom creations (for the show), Music Zoo snatches most of them up.

nortiks

Reaction score
Personally I never cared for the BB, so I guess I'm out as a bidder, lol.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I just picked up 90s RI of the 50 watt 2x12 tremolo combo for $1500. TBH, it sounds great. The tone is exactly what I was going for and is the closest thing to a certain guitar players clean tone out of an amp that I have ever heard with out dropping thousands of bucks.

The only explanation I can find as to why they’re so expensive is there are people out there that will pay for it. The guy I bought my amp from waited for 3 months and passed up multiple deals just because he turned out to live down the street and around the corner and he dug my style of play.

I once played a Super 100 that the shop was asking $18k for. It ended up selling.

Brand + Vintage + Demand = $$$

goldtop0

Reaction score
With the three amps, caveat emptor.
Get an expert like London John on here to give his assessment(which I think he may have done in the separate threads for each one).

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
well... Music Zoo is a well-known high dollar music store, w/ a good reputation. Don't know about Jules of Canada...

Jules is pick up in person, so, there's that...

At NAMM, when the companies bring out all their custom creations (for the show), Music Zoo snatches most of them up.
Been watching this monster from MZ for quite a while now...

BlueX

Reaction score
Been watching this monster from MZ for quite a while now...

That Major was sold in Sweden originally. Maybe I should go there and get it back.

Can't see any info on the cabs, or speakers. Should be some part of the asked price.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
And whats with all these BB pedals listed for silly money ? Why ?

This one is nice, but its not vintage. Tempting.

And this one is near me, but I dont need it if I already have a JVM and JCM800 ?
But I dont have a 45 ...

Clanger1

Reaction score
At a quick look 4x10 is certainly not 1965, more like 1967, which makes a big difference to rarity n hence value. Plenty of red flags too. Will look at others later.

granttg83

Reaction score
The 4x10 is likely a lashup I think, the grill looks off and I can’t see much green in the tolex.

The speakers are definitely a mismatch, I asked for some pics and two look to be from 68, and two from 69.

The 2x12 JTM 45 looks good to me. One speaker has been replaced and I’m not sure I’m keen on the cooling solution…but likely an original amp I think

The 2x12 JMP I haven’t decided on yet!

Clanger1

Reaction score
The last looks legit at a glance. Being an example that has obviously been around for a while the other two don’t look so authentic eh?

neikeel

Reaction score
The bottom one does look correct but I agree one speaker is a replacement as is the pilot lamp so you'd need to see inside
Top one has had a PT replacement (and not the correct OEM type), it is missing the chassis reinforcement plate and screws wrong (odd to add close up pic of that!) and someone has added ceramic resistors in series with HT in effort to drop the voltage.
Someone has grafted 0.1uF mustards into PI (correct value) but why graft onto leads.
Bias mod is meh.
The 4x10 looks like the board is a new scratch build - and is that a chocolate block connector stuck to the PT.

It seems picky to go over these in such detail but the prices are insane, even if they do sound good.

granttg83

Reaction score
JTM-45 (bottom one) has several changed parts unfortunately…curious the power transformer is an earlier style with the voltage selector on the top rather than along side the impedance selector…I’ve seen this plenty of times on heads but not on a combo…seems quite inconvenient if you need to change it…but then again if you need to change a tube etc….

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpeg
    IMG_4798.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4799.jpeg
    IMG_4799.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4801.jpeg
    IMG_4801.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4802.jpeg
    IMG_4802.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26

neikeel

Reaction score
Theend bell on the PT looks v shiny..........

No pics of the terminals. Yep I have x3 JTM45s with me right now.
65 script logo - all Drakes and OT & PT selectors on side
64 silver panel RS OT and choke selector on top PT (different terminal layout to the other two)
65 block logo RS OT and choke, slightly later selector on top PT (like my 65)
Board components on this one pictured above are def 65 era type

granttg83

Reaction score
Theend bell on the PT looks v shiny..........

No pics of the terminals. Yep I have x3 JTM45s with me right now.
65 script logo - all Drakes and OT & PT selectors on side
64 silver panel RS OT and choke selector on top PT (different terminal layout to the other two)
65 block logo RS OT and choke, slightly later selector on top PT (like my 65)
Board components on this one pictured above are def 65 era type
It looks like this chassis definitely doesn’t fit as being correct for a script logo Bluesbreaker unless maybe if it’s a very early script logo from 65

Clanger1

Reaction score
JTM-45 (bottom one) has several changed parts unfortunately…curious the power transformer is an earlier style with the voltage selector on the top rather than along side the impedance selector…I’ve seen this plenty of times on heads but not on a combo…seems quite inconvenient if you need to change it…but then again if you need to change a tube etc….
All tge early BB had voltage selector on PT. OPT started off as RS. Then Selector on OPT Drake (-74 style iirc) then by the 7200 era on panel as this one. I’d guess this is late 66 but im no expert i lose interest past ‘65..

Flano_mark

Reaction score
Regarding the 1961 4x10 model - I would agree with Clanger in that it's highly unlikely to be a 1965 year.

There's a lot of detail on the thread below on three of these very early (i.e. 1965) 4x10 1961 models which can be used for comparison - serial numbers 7071 and 7069 shown on page 1 and 7096 on page 6. I've been continually researching and watching the market since i've restored the first one as shown in that thread, and these three are certainly the earliest variants of this model that i've seen.

The series 1 block logo 1961 variants are exceptionally rare amps and are all 1965 year (or debatably 1964 as per 7096), whereas the later series 1 script logo 1961 variants (as per above) do tend to appear more often and are latter year construction, abliet also very rare.

Mark