Setting Up JMP-1 Rig with Voodoo Labs GXC+GCP

• Thread starter Netto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Netto

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finally ended my quest of purchasing all the necessary gear (and unnecessary Lol) to build my Rack. And now I have some doubts about how to plug it all in. So here we go with the rig description

Amps:
Marshall JMP1+9200
Mesa Boogie Mark V25

Rack:
Furman Power Conditioner
Marshall JMP-1
Tc Electronics GMajor 2
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro + Voodoo Labs GCX

Pedals:
Maxon OD808 Overdrive
Polytune Tuner
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer (Used only with the Marshall)
EH Small Clone Chorus
Mesa Foot Switch
Power Bridge Supply for the Pedals

My first question is about the midi connections

The Ground Control Pro is Phantom power so its hooked to the GCX via a 20ft Midi cable, from there I go MIDI OUT from the GCX to MIDI IN in the GMajor2 then I go MIDI Trought from the GMajor2 to the MIDI in in the JMP-1

Is that the correct setup for the MIDI information? I have the pictures bellow showing.

I already understand how to hook up the pedals in the GCX each in their individual loop.

My real question is:

How I setup the Mesa Boogie for channel switching to be controlled via the Ground Control Pro bypassing the Marshall when I want to and Vice Versa. And also how do I share the effects from the GMajor and Pedals with both amps. I DO NOT WANT TO USE the JMP-1 effects loop of the JMP1, just use the effects beetween the 9200 and the JMP-1 because its really tricky and kinda sucks, and will Use the mesa boogie loop

I have just one Orange PPC412HP8 Stereo Cabinet, I understand that each amp output would go to the 2 inputs of the cabinet so Im only using 2 speakers for each amp is that correct? I dont have the ToneBone amp head switcher, I forgot to buy it so I'll ne splitting the Cabinet.

I see the orange cabinet when hooked with to different amps works at 16 OHMS, the Marshall 9200 does have that switch for the 16 ohms but the mesa has only two 4 ohmns and 1 8 ohms out. How do I connect that?

I appreaciate all the help I can get, I'm new to rack stuff and really dont understant it at all. How the hell do I connect all that stuff up?

I have the Evidence Audio SIS monorail and plugs so I can cut up everything I need.

Any help would me buch appreciated.

Thanks guys, here follow the pictures of the rig

20160301_202327.jpg

20160302_162454.jpg

20160302_162312.jpg

20160302_164534.jpg

20160302_163915.jpg

tschrama

Reaction score
Here goes... (you may not like this :D )

Guitar into the OD808, into the SmallClone, on a floorboard next to the Midicontroller, into GCX .

Midi cable from Midicontroller to GM2, via Thru to the JMP1 via Thru to the GCX.

The GCX switches the Mesa(as a preamp) or the JMP1 in/out of the chain. From the GCX to the GM2, stereo out to the 9200.

Sell the other pedals, buy a second 4x12 :cool:

btw
Nice setup!

BowerR64

Reaction score
I have an JMP-1 also, im wondering why you dont want to use the effects loop?

I kinda like the effects loop because each patch can have it in or out and any amount of effects in the loop without changing the tone any at all.

Also what are the pedals doing that the G major cant? other then the TS overdriving the front end

I like your rack box, i like how its nice and shallow

Netto

Reaction score
Thanks man,

But I dont want to use the 2 channels on the 9200, I want to stick with the mesa boogie power and preamp sections.

So i Got this right now and its working:

Midi out from the ground control pro to GCX IN (Controller), Midi out from GCX to midi IN GMAJOR2, Midi Trough GMAJOR 2 to JMP1 MIDI in, this is fine.

Guitar goes directly to the GCX Guitar input, the back output goes to loop input 1, send return on loop 1 has the Maxon OD808, the the output goes to the JMP1 input, JMP1 output goes to gmajor in, gmajor out goes to input loop 2, bypass the send return, loop 2 out goes to loop 3 for the other pedals and so on (i like chorus on the loop). And the last out goes to the 9200 then speaker.

This works fine, Im wondering How I add the mesa boogie on this rig and can switch beetween the marshall and mesa on the Ground control Pro. I know its possible because it can bypass the loop that the jmp1 is on and goes to the loop the mesa is on, also another loop to change the channels. Damn why the hell I didnt stick to the guitar straight to amp stuff lol ahahaha

I tried to call voodoo labs today but its a holliday and Im from Brazil, lets wait till tomorrow

Its kinda hard work but after all is done its pretty easy with just one pedal board

Netto

Reaction score
I have an JMP-1 also, im wondering why you dont want to use the effects loop?

I kinda like the effects loop because each patch can have it in or out and any amount of effects in the loop without changing the tone any at all.

Also what are the pedals doing that the G major cant? other then the TS overdriving the front end

I like your rack box, i like how its nice and shallow

Actually the pedals I dont need none, just the OD and the GE7 for the harsh marshall highs.

The other ones I would stick to a pedalboard and when rehearsing I would just take the little mesa, a 1x12 and the pedalboard. But I was wondering how to plug all this stuff up, I know its possible so my little deamon says DO IT lol.

This rack box is just plain wood, made here in Brazil for ten units, not for transportation purposes. Actually you can do one by yourself if you want, just take the measurements and cut the wood. I paid like 50 dollars in brazil money for it

tschrama

Reaction score
-the way things are now, you cannt switch between the mesa and the 9200 output sections. My suggestion was to use the Mesa as a preamp, just like a jmp-1.

-You dont need a GE7, the GM2 has a EQ (and the JMP1 is definitely not harsch)

-Yes, good idea, go into the GCX directly and put the OD808 in one of the loops, but keep it infront of the preamps, so you can use it to boost the preamps.

- put the SmallClone in one of the loops, sometimes I like a chorus in front of the preamp. So that would be my choise, as you allready got the GM2 as a chorus after the preamps.

Netto

Reaction score
-the way things are now, you cannt switch between the mesa and the 9200 output sections. My suggestion was to use the Mesa as a preamp, just like a jmp-1.

-You dont need a GE7, the GM2 has a EQ (and the JMP1 is definitely not harsch)

-Yes, good idea, go into the GCX directly and put the OD808 in one of the loops, but keep it infront of the preamps, so you can use it to boost the preamps.

- put the SmallClone in one of the loops, sometimes I like a chorus in front of the preamp. So that would be my choise, as you allready got the GM2 as a chorus after the preamps.

How would I connect the mesa as a preamp and how to change channels on it,

Its not harsh, its just need a little tweek for the highs with the GE7 I have room for it, and also Ill take a look at the Gmajor 2 EQ.

I would like to have the mesa clean and lead, and 2 leads for the JMP1 thats it,

tschrama

Reaction score
Doesnt the GM2 have stereo jack output for swichting channels on a head? I think my GM 1 has it.......

Netto

Reaction score
Doesnt the GM2 have stereo jack output for swichting channels on a head? I think my GM 1 has it.......

Yes it does, I just saw that.

That would be possible to switch the mesa channel via the midi pedalboard right

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Which loops are you using or have been used in the GCX?

Did you decide if the Ground Control Pro is going to be used in 10 Preset/Bank or 4 Preset/Bank mode?

The channel switching of the Mark V25 can be controlled by either the GCX or the GMajor2 but it will most likely still require an instant access button on the GCX unless a 20 foot cable is used for switching in which case just run it to the Mark V25 channel switch jack. But if the extra pedal is not wanted then why not just use the GCX only? Your choices.

If you want things to be toggled at or on the GCPro then you will need to use 4 Preset/Bank mode with instant access and use a button for them.

Netto

Reaction score
Which loops are you using or have been used in the GCX?

Did you decide if the Ground Control Pro is going to be used in 10 Preset/Bank or 4 Preset/Bank mode?

The channel switching of the Mark V25 can be controlled by either the GCX or the GMajor2 but it will most likely still require an instant access button on the GCX unless a 20 foot cable is used for switching in which case just run it to the Mark V25 channel switch jack. But if the extra pedal is not wanted then why not just use the GCX only? Your choices.

If you want things to be toggled at or on the GCPro then you will need to use 4 Preset/Bank mode with instant access and use a button for them.

Hey Mickey. Thanks for the reply as always.

I started hooking up stuff yesterday and got it to work. Loop one has the Maxon od 808.loop 2 has the marshall jmp1, out to the Gmajor out to the power amp. It works calling patches on both via mídi. I was thinking, what I I just use the Mesa SEND to loop. 3 to use it as a preamp, followed by the Gmajor and other effects pedals and out to the power. That way I would have 2x100w amps instead of a 25 and a 100 correct? I already have in 4 preset modes, Gmajor assigned to mídi channel 2 and jmp1 to mídi 1. If I have the Mesa as a preamp I you set the ground control to switch, let's say, jmp1 loop off and the Mesa on, the relay jack on the Gmajor would change the channel and the effects would. Be right after the preamps without having to use the loop on the jmp1 or the Mesa correct? And the last connection out to the marshall power amp using just channel A on it. Also the Mesa would benefit from the 5881 tubes besides the El it comes with. Is my idéia correct and possible?

As always thanks a lot for the input.

Another thing is that I could just plug the Mesa out for taking to a rehearsal and still have the marshall rig going since it will be on that loop. Just bypass the Mesa right?

Great man

Netto

Reaction score
Like this?

Almost. Would. Be guitar in on gcx, out to loop1 with the od. Out to the loop 2 with the jmp1, out to loop3 with the Mesa but using the send output on the Mesa to the gcx (how to connect this) to bypass the Mesa power amp, out to the gmajor and out to the power amp. Is correct?

tschrama

Reaction score
Almost. Would. Be guitar in on gcx, out to loop1 with the od. Out to the loop 2 with the jmp1, out to loop3 with the Mesa but using the send output on the Mesa to the gcx (how to connect this) to bypass the Mesa power amp, out to the gmajor and out to the power amp. Is correct?

You are exactly describing what I just drawn... what's not correct?

Netto

Reaction score
I got it, its done like this:

Guitar into GCX, out to a splitter box in, on the splitter box one out goes to Loop 1 input and the send goes to jmp1 input. The second out of the splitter box goes to loop 2 input and the send goes to the mesa|

This way I put the other effects on the 3 loop on in the gcx.

The Ground control Pro recognize the two amps on the first two switches. Just choose wich one I want, if the mesa the GMAJOR with midi call the effects and with te relay out changes the mesa channel, if the marshall is on it works normally as as midi device changing patches and the effects from the gmajor/pedals

The output of both the marshall and the mesa goes to the orange 4x12 wich is splitted since its stereo cab, so I have something like 2 2x12 for each amp :naughty:

Gotta buy a second cabinet so I have a 2x12 for the mesa (lunchbox and can carry for rehersals with the head, and leave the 4x12 with the marshall rack for practicing at home, if playing a bigger venue just take the complet rig and goes to a back fixing doctor after lol!!

Thanks guys, its solved!

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
It seems you have a plan figured out.
Using separate cabinets for different amplifiers or L/R channels is definitely advantageous.
I suppose when you say splitter box you are using the GCX's built in splitter of GUITAR IN and OUT with FEED THRU. An external box is not required.

Netto

Reaction score
It seems you have a plan figured out.
Using separate cabinets for different amplifiers or L/R channels is definitely advantageous.
I suppose when you say splitter box you are using the GCX's built in splitter of GUITAR IN and OUT with FEED THRU. An external box is not required.

Yep thats it, or just a good Y cable for the first two loops, I called the techs at voodoo labs and they said it can be done with the Y cable (a really good one soldered in some way I dont know hoe, but a friend does, splitter box (because of ground loop to eliminate noise or something like that). Actually what you said is true, I can just use the two guitar outputs also didnt thought of that

Thanks man

BowerR64

Reaction score
Actually the pedals I dont need none, just the OD and the GE7 for the harsh marshall highs.

The other ones I would stick to a pedalboard and when rehearsing I would just take the little mesa, a 1x12 and the pedalboard. But I was wondering how to plug all this stuff up, I know its possible so my little deamon says DO IT lol.

This rack box is just plain wood, made here in Brazil for ten units, not for transportation purposes. Actually you can do one by yourself if you want, just take the measurements and cut the wood. I paid like 50 dollars in brazil money for it

Ide run the JMP-1 into the G-major out stereo into the 9200 and stereo to the orange. Ide bet the clean channel with some chorus in stereo would sound really good.

That 9200 looks insane 8 X 5881's stuffed in there! :eek: the 9005 i have with just 4 EL34s is a tank

Netto

Reaction score
Nice, I got it working now

Here is a video, its in portuguese but follows as this:

Bank 1 Marshall
Marshall Clean with Delay
Marshall Drive no effects
Marshall Drive with a little delay
Marshall Solo with tubscreamer and a different patch with more volume and delay

Bank 2 Mesa Boogie
Boogie with reverb from the amp
Boogie with reverb from the amp with delay from gmajor
Boogie Drive (Footswitched by the GCX)
Boogie Solo with Delay and a Marshall JMP1 patch as a boost (it didnt liked the OD808 lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96IP-Zo ... e=youtu.be

GMajor 2 patches will be welcomed since Im using it pretty much default never used rack before just pedals

Thanks for all the help guys, now I just need to label these cables so if one goes bad I dont have to unplug it all off

Latest posts