Shredding, overdone?

• Thread starter chromeboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zachman

Reaction score
Zachman,

We know your credibility around here, and we've appreciated and respected your talent for a long time. Please don't waste your time feeding the angry troll, just walk away from it and let it blabber on until it puts itself to sleep.

-Vinsanitizer.

Thanks Vin :cheers:

I LOVE hunting and devouring trolls. That fool's got nuthin

Gutch220

Reaction score
I can't sweep-pick but I get what you're saying. To me, 32 straight bars of sweep picking, despite difficult, doesn't sound best. I think it's better in short bursts blended into other parts. But I've tried to do it but I can't really grasp it without A) spending a lot of time practicing it, and B) getting lessons on technique & feedback. But it doesn't really mesh with my personal style but it would be nice to have it as an option.
If any body has and excesses or techniques or tips on how to begin sweep-picking let me know.

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
It was overdone 30 years ago, to be honest...not that it stopped me from enjoying the pyrotechnical skill required to perform it back then. It's already been done so much better in the past when taste had a lot more to do with it. Vai, Satch...not shredders, and yet they were the pinnacle for me. Yngwie to a degree shreds, and his early work was jaw dropping. These days, though, it's all pretty boring. I'd love to be wrong on that, but shredding lives on YouTube these days. There's a lot more technically amazing playing going on with acoustic guys and other people approaching the instrument in new ways like Molly Tuttle today than the same old Shreddy McShredderson you see every day.

One thing remains the same: Country can kiss my country ASS! (lol, yes, I know there are some amazing players that I absolutely love but hey, let me be)

George Marshall

Reaction score
To me shredding is most often just fret board gymnastics. It's a physical exercise and not really musical. I'd rather hear one meaningful blues note than 900 shred notes. I had a shredder instructor for awhile that said he was clocked at 30 something notes per second and he would shred while I watched him and none of it grabbed me at all. I was like that's interesting.... It didn't do anything for me. If shredding is a run that leads to a somewhere it can be cool but shredding just for the sake of shredding doesn't do anything for me.

dragonvalve

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Lots of cool funny posts and POV's.

Yes a million notes not related to the song is boring, ostentatious and is proli why the name "poser" developed.

Notes that fit the song? Leslie West on Climbing.
Theme For An Imaginary Western
Not shredding per se. More like Slow-hand meets Mozart.

leslie-west-woodstock-remembered.jpg

Cobain, yeah he gets blamed for grunging rock but even geezers back then were jamming to Smells Like Teen Slit.

iu

The limitless like the stars number of possible notes played in the right sequence of melody, timing and technique is king.

Those that can recognize that are evolved.

The sweeps have been done to death but let's wait for someone to create a sweep melody that will become the next shred standard.

Keys players.
Jon Lord played to the song.
iu

Lord. Highway Star through a Marshall.

Wakeman on Roundabout just floored it.

iu

LPMarshall hack's petpeeve T-hand playing fairy. Rick Wakeman.

Corbetta on Green Eyed.
Rod Argent back in the Zombies days, She's Not There,
Max Middleton on Situation-Rough and Ready-Jeff Beck Group.
Thijs van Leer of Focus on Hocus Pocus.

iu

Thijs played keys, flute and sang and wrote the mofo song Hocus Pocus! Back in the 70's Focus helped inject rock into rockers' heads along with the best.

Let's face it, before guitar took over rock, the real rocker back in the day was the church organist. He had the licks the volume the buttons and switches.

Although credit goes to Bach et al who wrote the pieces:
Virgil Fox.

maxresdefault.jpg

Pedal board anyone?

The word "fugue" is in of itself heavy.

Keith-Emerson-do-Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer.jpg

emerson-keith.jpg

Keith Emerson

Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly. His dad was the church organist.

organist-doug-ingle-and-bass-player-lee-dorman-of-american-rock-band-picture-id1061707502

Organ comes back to roost in the rock milieu.

330px-The_Doors_%281971%29_%28cropped%29.png

Ray Manzarek of The Doors definitely opened some new ones with his approach to organ and piano.

Admittedly keys kill guitars on a track. So you have to write parts that allow both to exist within the song. Therein lies musical genius.

Vai, JoSat, VH and all the others helped sell lots of gear. They did make shredding cool.

As with anything things go in circles. It will come back.
:shred:

Last edited:

anitoli

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Lots of cool funny posts and POV's.

Yes a million notes not related to the song is boring, ostentatious and is proli why the name "poser" developed.

Notes that fit the song? Leslie West on Climbing.
Theme For An Imaginary Western
Not shredding per se. More like Slow-hand meets Mozart.

leslie-west-woodstock-remembered.jpg

Cobain, yeah he gets blamed for grunging rock but even geezers back then were jamming to Smells Like Teen Slit.

iu

The limitless like the stars number of possible notes played in the right sequence of melody, timing and technique is king.

Those that can recognize that are evolved.

The sweeps have been done to death but let's wait for someone to create a sweep melody that will become the next shred standard.

Keys players.
Jon Lord played to the song.
iu

Lord. Highway Star through a Marshall.

Wakeman on Roundabout just floored it.

iu

LPMarshall hack's petpeeve T-hand playing fairy. Rick Wakeman.

Corbetta on Green Eyed.
Rod Argent back in the Zombies days, She's Not There,
Max Middleton on Situation-Rough and Ready-Jeff Beck Group.
Thijs van Leer of Focus on Hocus Pocus.

iu

Thijs played keys, flute and sang and wrote the mofo song Hocus Pocus! Back in the 70's Focus helped inject rock into rockers' heads along with the best.

Let's face it, before guitar took over rock, the real rocker back in the day was the church organist. He had the licks the volume the buttons and switches.

Although credit goes to Bach et al who wrote the pieces:
Virgil Fox.

maxresdefault.jpg

Pedal board anyone?

The word "fugue" is in of itself heavy.

Keith-Emerson-do-Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer.jpg

emerson-keith.jpg

Keith Emerson

Doug Ingle of Iron Butterfly. His dad was the church organist.

organist-doug-ingle-and-bass-player-lee-dorman-of-american-rock-band-picture-id1061707502

Organ comes back to roost in the rock milieu.

330px-The_Doors_%281971%29_%28cropped%29.png

Ray Manzarek of The Doors definitely opened some new ones with his approach to organ and piano.

Admittedly keys kill guitars on a track. So you have to write parts that allow both to exist within the song. Therein lies musical genius.

Vai, JoSat, VH and all the others helped sell lots of gear. They did make shredding cool.

As with anything things go in circles. It will come back.
:shred:

You forgot Ken Hensley. :D

Latest posts