Skumback

• Thread starter roddy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

roddy

Reaction score
Anyone have good experiences with Scumback speakers? Anyone using them? Are they worth the extra cash? I am thinking bout the Blackback M75's.

Aggressive, detailed midrange enhanced guitar speaker with cutting overdrive and distortion tones that have more bite than the M75 series. Great sound right out of the box due to factory aging, design and break-in procedures. This is a superb tone and sound recreation of the G12M mid 70's era "Blackback" that was used in Marshall stacks and combos, and many other British amps of the era such as Vox, Orange, Sound City, etc. 25 watt (BM75-8 or 16), 65 watt (BM75-8HP or 16HP) & 100 watt (BM75-8XHP or 16XHP) power handling, 97db, 8 or 16 ohm versions available.

Specially treated 75hz cone sounds 30 years old. Blackback era style doping just like the originals.
35 oz. magnet, 1.75" voice coil, 12" wide. 8 bolt pattern allows mounting to most amps.
Available in 25, 65 and 100 watt power handling. This is like the mid 70's G12M lead cone speaker.

jerryjg

Reaction score
Ive never heard nothing but good about them, except that they are expensive.

BAinFL

Reaction score
Heh, what's expensive is tone chasing using inferior speakers and Chinese Celestions every few months because they can't get you "that sound". Scumbacks are the REAL DEAL.

I personally love my M75's. I use a quad of them in my 4x12 and have never heard a sweeter sounding cab...anywhere. Now I'm trying to decide on trying a couple of H55s or LHDC M75s (Jims clone of G12-65s) for a 2x12. Can't say enough good things about how amazing my Scumbacks sound.

Worth.
Every.
Penny.

IMO

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have good experiences with Scumback speakers? Anyone using them? Are they worth the extra cash? I am thinking bout the Blackback M75's.

Aggressive, detailed midrange enhanced guitar speaker with cutting overdrive and distortion tones that have more bite than the M75 series. Great sound right out of the box due to factory aging, design and break-in procedures. This is a superb tone and sound recreation of the G12M mid 70's era "Blackback" that was used in Marshall stacks and combos, and many other British amps of the era such as Vox, Orange, Sound City, etc. 25 watt (BM75-8 or 16), 65 watt (BM75-8HP or 16HP) & 100 watt (BM75-8XHP or 16XHP) power handling, 97db, 8 or 16 ohm versions available.

Specially treated 75hz cone sounds 30 years old. Blackback era style doping just like the originals.
35 oz. magnet, 1.75" voice coil, 12" wide. 8 bolt pattern allows mounting to most amps.
Available in 25, 65 and 100 watt power handling. This is like the mid 70's G12M lead cone speaker.

I know nothing about Scumbacks, but the AFD100 is the greatest amp ever made.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 10" M75 that I bought for my C5 combo, but I didn't care much for it in the C5, it added bass and I was trying to get rid of some. Now I have it loaded in a Blackstar 110 cab that I'm planning to use with my CA10 when it arrives. I don't really know what I think of it yet. I have no idea how it compares to a 12", but I bought it because of all the excellent reviews.

edit: I guess I really didn't help any did I? haha, but I have one!

BAinFL

Reaction score
10"...are you sure it was a Scumback?

I've only ever seen 12" listed on Jim's site. Was it a Weber perhaps?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right I don't see them there anymore. I've had it a couple of years...guess he quit making them.

P1010025.jpg

TubeStack

Reaction score
Scumbacks are great speakers, but they are pricey and I'd only buy 'em used. There is a fair amount of hype about them, too... Lots of Celestions sound just as good (Chinese ones included). They are a fine speaker, though.

BAinFL

Reaction score
Tone is subjective of course, but my M75's sounded more "musical" and open than my Made in England Greenback reissues. They both had that vintage greenback mid sweet crunch, but the scumbacks just had that something else on top of it that really bloomed when playing a chord. That being said, I was entirely happy with my UK reissues and if they had more power handling I probably would have never even tried the scumbacks.

I just ordered a pair of BM75-LHDC as these were recommended as being the closest to a vintage G12-65 which is my 2nd favorite speaker sound behind only the greenbacks. The $20 off sale was good timing for me.

hacksaw

Reaction score
Just got some bm75-25 watters, man very nice!! not very beamy like my greenbacks. Nicer top end, I can walk around and on and off axis not much change, that part alone made me happy. I'm really happy with these speakers.

You can email sales@southbayampworks.com with a request.. he is great about getting back with people.

richedie

Reaction score
I have tried them but with my PWE and Bogner, Celestion Vintage 30s, WGS ET65s, Retro 30s, all sound better.