SL-X EL34 conversion

• Thread starter dashizzler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dashizzler

Reaction score
So I finally gave in had my SL-X converted to EL34's. I bought the 5881 version intentionally as to have the rounder warmer tone of the 6l6's I would put in it. However, it seemed like it lacked in the tone department, for what I was doing anyway. It was a tad mushy and almost zero usable mid range. I put in some nice pre amp tubes courtesy of Marty Strat which sound great and tried winged =C= 6l6gc's. The winged =C='s improved the sound, but didn't get it were I wanted. For what I spent on the tubes, I should've just had it modded right then and there, for half the price. I put JJ KT77's in there, as I liked what they did for my DSL. I was afraid I would lose the low end the 6l6's gave the head, but it was negligible. As a matter of fact, there is room to spare. I was thinking about getting some JJ 6CA7's to put in there. I also liked the what they did for my DSL, and the reviews look good. Not that I don't like the KT77's, just curious how it'll affect the tone. Also while my tech was in there he modded it a touch, reducing some of the fuzziness the amp gets and tighting up the pre amp gain setting. I felt it got a little muddy as I turned it up and he was able to tame the mud some. Now I can open up the pre amp some more and get some body out of that first gain stage. I welcome any comments/feedback, especially about the JJ 6CA7's. Thanks.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with the set up!

I like the JJ KT-77's and the 6CA7'a quite a bit and I have had a really good success rate with both. As for which is better its a bit subjective. In most cases I prefer the 6CA7's by a slight margin as they seem to have a bit more going on in the upper mids. But again, it depends on the amp and the user.

dashizzler

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with the set up!

I like the JJ KT-77's and the 6CA7'a quite a bit and I have had a really good success rate with both. As for which is better its a bit subjective. In most cases I prefer the 6CA7's by a slight margin as they seem to have a bit more going on in the upper mids. But again, it depends on the amp and the user.
Thanks for the response. What kind of music do you play? Like I said, I could spare some low end. I've read the lows are tighter with the 6CA7's, but I'm afraid of "thinness" I guess. I don't want to lose the thump I'm getting from the amp. I also got a touch more headroom with the 6l6's. I was getting 108 watts and I'm getting close to that now, with the KT77's. I know that's insignificant, but I don't want the amp to sound harsh at rehearsal volumes. I play high-ish gain stuff. Not crazy drop tuning or anything. Just hard rock/metal sound. I'm looking for note clarity and nice mids and treble, not picky but with some presence. My real question I guess would be, how do the two(KT77's vs 6CA7's) compare in terms of breakup and low bottom end response? And as far as clarity is concerned, how do they compare?

jensbrix

Reaction score
You should mod all the mud out of it :) Mine is heavily modified, but it can go from a really fat crunch to uber tight hi gain metal very easy

dashizzler

Reaction score
You should mod all the mud out of it :) Mine is heavily modified, but it can go from a really fat crunch to uber tight hi gain metal very easy
So you know what I'm talking about in the pre amp volume control... The dude I took it to changed a capacitor right by the input, I'm guessing before anything gets to the first gain stage. what did you do to yours?