SL5 in action

• Thread starter Söulcaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thenoodler

Reaction score
It's an artist signature amplifier. The very point of it is giving the artist exactly what they want.
Really? This is a full production model amp, not a limited Ed. Does that mean Slash is now the head of business development at Marshall? He's calling all the shots on what goes into the Slash line, where its made, what the price is?

Marival

Reaction score
Really? This is a full production model amp, not a limited Ed. Does that mean Slash is now the head of business development at Marshall? He's calling all the shots on what goes into the Slash line, where its made, what the price is?

No, probably, no, probably not.

What do you expect?

''Marshall: Okay guys! We've got a new Slash signature amp for you guys. Rest assured that there is absolutely NO personal input from Slash. We think that we know way better what he wants than he can tell us himself, so we just rolled with it.''

Please don't be obtuse.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

What the fuck is this nonsense?

If a company forced me to have features in an amp I didn't want or forced me to get rid of features I wanted in my signature amp, I'd take my endorsement somewheres else. That KILLS the purpose of a signature amp.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
What the fuck is this nonsense?

If a company forced me to have features in an amp I didn't want or forced me to get rid of features I wanted in my signature amp, I'd take my endorsement somewheres else. That KILLS the purpose of a signature amp.

His line of attack on it being the equivalent of a DSL didn't work, so he's looking for a new angle from which to criticize ... just ignore it.

Jammers5

Reaction score
It's certainly appealing to me. I have been on the hunt for a used DSL50 since I sold the 1st one I had....one came up a week ago but since the SL5 is a reality I'm hanging off...5w is enough for me!

J5

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
It's an artist signature amplifier. The very point of it is giving the artist exactly what they want.

While that's true, the Nigel sounded like he took some slash tone to the face on a daily basis. He made it sound like Marshall had no input into it. There has to or had to be some discussion on the features not just that slash wanted, but what the public would want and buy. I'm just saying that its ok if they want to market it as signature amp designed with the help of slash, but dont tryto tell me "slash hand built every fucking one these" which is the way he came across to me.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
It sounds good. In my opinion it doesn't sound drastically different from a DSL15C but I would have to hear it live. I guess if you upgrade the speaker in the DSL to a vintage 30 you would get an even better tone.

bdubbs

Reaction score
Just a heads up, companies don't price exclusively by exchange rate. hahaha.

X2203xman

Reaction score
Not too shabby.Sounds good to my ears.I think it looks like a bass combo though.Too tall,but at least it has a 12'' speak.:thumb:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, companies don't price exclusively by exchange rate. hahaha.

Yeah Andertons are down at £589 too!
But with the YJM it wasn't far off?
All I can put it down to is that it is made in China & we're getting hit with shipping too!
Shame,I think it would have been a killer combo if priced the same as a Class 5 which was made in UK!
Seems for UK people what we save in 'China' gets added in 'Shipping' so for us UK made works out even!

:rolleyes:

nightrain

Reaction score
kinda hard to say, no offense to that guy but his playing is pretty bad. why was he chosen to demo? ill wait til theres more clips and such, right now i think i like the jcm-1 a bit better.

thenoodler

Reaction score
While that's true, the Nigel sounded like he took some slash tone to the face on a daily basis. He made it sound like Marshall had no input into it. There has to or had to be some discussion on the features not just that slash wanted, but what the public would want and buy. I'm just saying that its ok if they want to market it as signature amp designed with the help of slash, but dont tryto tell me "slash hand built every fucking one these" which is the way he came across to me.

Exactly my point. You guys make it sound like Slash has 100% creative control on the thing and Marshall just builds what ever he tells them to. Don't get me wrong I'm sure he provides input and they probably present him with options and he may make some choices but I don't think he just goes out and draws something up from scratch on the back of napkin and hands it over to Santiago to build. He's not in the design lab choosing resistor and capacitor values for christ sake.
Why am I getting flak? I said it looks like it is similar to the DSL line and Santiago said no, the design was not taken from there. It turns out that it's a true class A circuit so not the same as the DSL, and I retracted my statement. Nevertheless once the first demos hit, others out there have commented that it actually sounds like a DSL so what do you want me to say?
I'm not here to cap on the amp and I didn't compare it to DSL as a put down. I have a DSL and I think it's fantastic. I said I thought this amp would appeal to the same audience as those who purchase a DSL so what's wrong with that?
I think it sounds like a good amp and I don't think it's nearly as special or spectacular as the AFD with good reason. Why am I not entitled to that opinion?

JAC

Reaction score
A very nice 5 watters. The one watt drop down a very nice touch! The EL34 sounds cool. Nice amp can't knock it one bit. For my money though, the one lower watt Marshall that keeps popping into my brain right now is the DSL15 combo. That thing is a monster with very sweet sounding 6V6 tubes! Imagine a Marshall with tubes from a Princeton or Vibro Champ! I agree with someone earlier saying that the Slash 5 watter sounds "modern." This is not a bad thing but, I tend to lean more towards the Plexi sound or JTM sound, from what I have learned and heard on this forum and the real world. I feel that if the price were right, they could sell thousands of these to every little kid in towns all over the USA. Thanks for posting boss!