Slash tone?

• Thread starter Alt Freak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightrain

Reaction score
The only thing GNR ever dominated was in proving musicians are capable of being world class arrogant dickheads?
Album sale numbers mean nothing anymore. Axl now looks like he ate all the album sale proceeds anyway.

The only arrogant dick in that band was Axl. Which band doesnt have at least one?

And I take it that you're trying to say Axl is fat?

Looks in good shape to me...

Parabens-ao-inigualavel-frontman-Axl-Rose.jpg

19155274073946874195718.jpg

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
i actually like axl more than slash...go figure...i also think slash's 'nice guy' persona is a bit of a farce. i think slash is alot more calculating than people want to believe...but all i can go by is the things i read, and perhaps reading between the lines sometimes.

i just think axl is more honest, and that comes across as arrogance, cuz he doesnt seem to have any interest in sugar coating anything. i can respect that attitude.

Rafał

Reaction score
Slash has writing credits on 8/12 songs + all his lead work. He wrote WTTJ and SCOM which are the songs which drove GNR on to the world stage. He also wrote RQ, one of their greatest songs. He's got just as much credit on the songs as Izzy or Axl. They all together collectively made this amazing album. When I mention Slash and AFD on this thread, I'm referring to his lead guitar work. I actually think his best tone and playing was done live and on the UYI albums. AFD is still an amazing album by anyone's standards. I dont care for Led Zep at all, but I still can respect their huge importance in Rock music. AFD was a landmark album, no debate to be had.

He's got credits, but he didn't write them all by himself. For example, WTTJ: He wrote the intro, but the verse riff was taken from a song of a band in which Duff played before Gn'R (and it's confirmed by Duff in an interview), etc.

Rafał

Reaction score
i actually like axl more than slash...go figure...i also think slash's 'nice guy' persona is a bit of a farce. i think slash is alot more calculating than people want to believe...but all i can go by is the things i read, and perhaps reading between the lines sometimes.

i just think axl is more honest, and that comes across as arrogance, cuz he doesnt seem to have any interest in sugar coating anything. i can respect that attitude.

You know, after the Gn'R breakup, Slash was saying shit about Axl, but Axl remains silent about the breakup, so the press, which wants to make a lot of controversy and to use real quotes, is pro Slash, because he is talking (too much).

nightrain

Reaction score
You know, after the Gn'R breakup, Slash was saying shit about Axl, but Axl remains silent about the breakup, so the press, which wants to make a lot of controversy and to use real quotes, is pro Slash, because he is talking (too much).

Slash spent way more time in the past defending Axl than bashing him, try reading his book some time if you're a GNR fan. He loved that guy like a brother. Axl gave his fair share of blows to Slash over the years, he ddin't remain all that silent. He just chose press releases with lawyers over interviews like Slash and Duff.

As for your above comment, yeah no duh they all contributed to make GNR, well, GNR. Slash was responsible for more than his fair share of writing on that album and his lead guitar work was legendary.

Rafał

Reaction score
Slash spent way more time in the past defending Axl than bashing him, try reading his book some time if you're a GNR fan. He loved that guy like a brother. Axl gave his fair share of blows to Slash over the years, he ddin't remain all that silent. He just chose press releases with lawyers over interviews like Slash and Duff.

As for your above comment, yeah no duh they all contributed to make GNR, well, GNR. Slash was responsible for more than his fair share of writing on that album and his lead guitar work was legendary.

Talkin' about hits, look (and don't ask for sources 'cause I don't remember them all, only some of them):
- WTTJ - Slash wrote intro and solo, that's all
- PC - based on a lick written by Izzy, which then was edited by Slash and Duff (Izzy still plays his version of it during the verses)
- SCOM - Slash wrote intro and solo, that's all

Some of the less known songs, which are nonetheless popular:
- Nightrain - Slash and Izzy wrote the chorus, and the next day Izzy wrote rest of the song (because Slash was too high to do any writing), and then Slash added his solo, and edited the intro melody into a riff (which took him a year or so to do)
- It's so easy - Slash wrote only solo
- Mr Brownstone - typical Izzy's song, for comparison listen to DTJ, which was written by Izzy

guitargoalie

Reaction score
personally. I like slash because something about him stood out when I was learning guitar. I remember my first years playing. I learned all the classic rock songs. ACDC was the first. I would sit at the tv and replay the donnington concern until I got it note for note. I'm not sure at what point I started learning GNR, but after I grasped some better techniques I moved on to that and velvet revolver, as they just released contraband.

Fast forward a few years. I have a line 6 spider valve. It covers clapton like plexi tones, and modern model, but no middle ground marshall tone. A prime example of this tone happens to be what slash plays, so I spend a lot of time trial to dial it in to no avail.

I get my DSL, and there it is. Lead 1 gain on half nails it right away, crisp bright crunchy 80's rock tone. The gibson les paul adds the finishing touches. I wouldn't go as far as saying his recorded tones are extremely out there. But the live tone is what gets me.

Everyone on this board who has a jubilee claims its the best amp for hard rock leads. Well guess who plays the jubilee? Slash. His tokyo 92 live tone is killer. Full body, creamy, warm, harmonic complexity. Now I'm after that sound. Maybe I like slash's tone so much because I'm always chasing marshall tones and he has some of my favourites.

I envy his playing for the fact that it's simple, yet just flashy enough. I can play far beyond the sun and cliffs of dover quite accurately, but 9/10 times I'd rather rock out to some snakepit, for the hard rock jamming feel.

Les Moore

Reaction score
b/c he is the archetype rock star. he looks cool, and he's got a couple licks.

zack wylde? same thing.

teenybopper fodder....

i know thats probably offensive to some, im sorry. thats just how i feel about it. i dont give a fuck for idols. nothing special about their tones, just a couple trademark techniques that make them stand out from the crowd a bit. thats it.

look up dick wagner. he is the original slash, and some of his session studio work, (aerosmith in particular), is the original slash lead tone in my opinion. top hat and all.

Sooo many years ago, but, wasn´t it Wagner that played the solo on "Here comes the flood" on Peter Gabriels first solo album?
I dug that solo so fucking hard and for a long time! Such great taste in choices of notes. Seldom or never hear about him.

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow still so much h8 for Slash lol he is laughin all the way to the bank!!!

just wanna Slash Rocks!!!! and to me i understand scat7 likes DICK but i see a lot of Billy Duffy in Slash's style....not that there is anything wrong with that =P

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry but Dick Wagner is aweful and their hats is where the similarity ends

if people stopped tryin to stereo-type anyone that likes Slash there would be no issue... =P

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Yeah I would have used Steve Hunter instead of Dick Wagner. Steve was a far better guitar player and could cover way more ground on a moments notice. Nite in the ruts and Toy they called Steve in that day and he laid the lead tracks fro Joe. Slash he is what he is. Great Soloist, Not consistent enough to be considered an all time great to me. But up there.

pugachev

Reaction score
Talkin' about hits, look (and don't ask for sources 'cause I don't remember them all, only some of them):
- WTTJ - Slash wrote intro and solo, that's all
- PC - based on a lick written by Izzy, which then was edited by Slash and Duff (Izzy still plays his version of it during the verses)
- SCOM - Slash wrote intro and solo, that's all

Some of the less known songs, which are nonetheless popular:
- Nightrain - Slash and Izzy wrote the chorus, and the next day Izzy wrote rest of the song (because Slash was too high to do any writing), and then Slash added his solo, and edited the intro melody into a riff (which took him a year or so to do)
- It's so easy - Slash wrote only solo
- Mr Brownstone - typical Izzy's song, for comparison listen to DTJ, which was written by Izzy

Going by what I've read in interviews with GNR members and Slash's book.
WTTJ:
Slash credited Duff with the breakdown but noted that he wrote the guitar parts. The intro, solos, all lead parts that are different than the main riff comprises a huge part of the song. Try listening to it sometime.
PC:
Slash wrote the intro and the main melody to the song, not to mention that badass solo in the end.
SCOM:
Really? This is Slash's baby with Axl's lryics. The Intro, main repeating melody and 3 solos were all Slash's. The only thing Slash didn't write was the damn chords towards the solo.
Nightrain:
Slash and Izzy wrote the main riff together which comprises the first half of the songs until the first solos played by first Izzy then Slash. Slash wrote his solo, izzy his. After that it kick backs into the main riff then Slash begins his outro solo which he wrote.
Its so easy:
Duff and West Arkeen wrote this song. But originally as acoustic, Slash wrote the awesome solos and lead guitar.
Mr. Brownstone:
Written by both Izzy and Slash. They even wrote the basic lyrics before handing it over to Axl.

Lest we forget true GNR classics like Rocket Queen, Civil War, Locomotive, Coma, Estranged (the lead guitar here is just as present as the vocals). etc etc, Slash more than carried his own weight in GNR and wrote as much as anyone else.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Here is how I see it. No matter who did what, they could not have done it with any other guys. They as a whole fucking Killed on the first disk period. They all contributed to it oin one way or another. No one member did more than the next, they all brought something to the table. If it was all Slash then the other projects would have sounded a lot like GNR, if it was all Axle then the last thing he did would not have been a industry flop. Izzy went a complete different direction and popcorn tastes good with butter.

pugachev

Reaction score
I agree 100%. It took 5 guys to make one truly amazing album. My personal favorite of all time. Truly a shame that lineup couldn't have lasted.

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people want it? I really could care less about it. Nothing special

If you could care less about it, why would you start a thread about (when this has been done to death)?! If this hadn't been done so many times, it would still be a dumb thread.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
If you could care less about it, why would you start a thread about (when this has been done to death)?! If this hadn't been done so many times, it would still be a dumb thread.
I personally don't like it and could care less. I started the thread as a question for Slash fans on why so many people are obsessed with his tone and playing

Rafał

Reaction score
Going by what I've read in interviews with GNR members and Slash's book.
WTTJ:
Slash credited Duff with the breakdown but noted that he wrote the guitar parts. The intro, solos, all lead parts that are different than the main riff comprises a huge part of the song. Try listening to it sometime.
PC:
Slash wrote the intro and the main melody to the song, not to mention that badass solo in the end.
SCOM:
Really? This is Slash's baby with Axl's lryics. The Intro, main repeating melody and 3 solos were all Slash's. The only thing Slash didn't write was the damn chords towards the solo.
Nightrain:
Slash and Izzy wrote the main riff together which comprises the first half of the songs until the first solos played by first Izzy then Slash. Slash wrote his solo, izzy his. After that it kick backs into the main riff then Slash begins his outro solo which he wrote.
Its so easy:
Duff and West Arkeen wrote this song. But originally as acoustic, Slash wrote the awesome solos and lead guitar.
Mr. Brownstone:
Written by both Izzy and Slash. They even wrote the basic lyrics before handing it over to Axl.

Lest we forget true GNR classics like Rocket Queen, Civil War, Locomotive, Coma, Estranged (the lead guitar here is just as present as the vocals). etc etc, Slash more than carried his own weight in GNR and wrote as much as anyone else.

So, about:
- WTTJ you said what I did, that Slash made the intro and the solos, but that's all
- PC: Slash said in an interview (from the VR era) that it started as a lick written by Izzy. Also, if you ever listened to the demos, they don't have the intro
- Nightrain: the "riff" started as a melody written by Izzy, which was later edited into a riff by Slash, but for a few months they were both playing the Izzy's melody (you can listen to some old [pre '87] recordings, also this was confirmed by Izzy in an interview)
- Brownstone's lyrics were written by Izzy "with help of Slash", but it's doubtful that he had much influence on them. Izzy used to write the lyrics to the songs all by himself. Also, the guitar parts, including the main riff are typical Izzy song-like

As to the other songs, if you are trying to talk about their classics, why have you ommited:
- YCBM, which was written by Izzy (both music and lyrics) during the recording of AFD in December 1986
- Patience, written mainly by Izzy
- Think About You, which was written by Izzy (both music and lyrics) and was their most liked song during the club days ('85 - '86)