Small Marshall Heads like the Lead 12?

• Thread starter Gutch220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmp45

Reaction score
For the money..which is about $250 or less used, I'd get one of these. Cheaper than the lead 12 heads that I see anymore.View attachment 67700

I concur.. I have a Lead 12 and DSL1HR. Both are great amps in their right but the DSL1 gives more flexibility, 2 channels, loop, reverb. Good both clean and dirty.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur.. I have a Lead 12 and DSL1HR. Both are great amps in their right but the DSL1 gives more flexibility, 2 channels, loop, reverb. Good both clean and dirty.
The only things I can say negative about the DSL1hr is that the output is only 16ohms, and the headphone out is not good, to say the least. Other than that the little thing rips, the loop works great, as does the reverb.

One of my better gear purchases..and I'm old, and there have been way too many.:)

gkterry

Reaction score
The Lead 12s are from horrible with a good speaker like the G10 Greenback. That turns it into a little tone monster. The original speaker in the Lead 12 is truly crap. IMO, the Lead 12 with the G10 sounds far superior to the 50th Anni DSL1 combo I have. I put a better speaker in the DSL1 but 8" speakers just cant cut it against a high quality 10" (or 12").

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I like the lead 12s. They sound much better with a different speaker, and not the crappy one they come with.

But...IMO The newer Dsl1hr is a better small head. 2 switchable channels, built in reverb, effects loop..and it is tube.

like which speaker?

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
like which speaker?
Imo Pretty much anything is an upgrade. The stock speakers choke the life out of these things, and make them sound shrill, which makes the distortion sound top heavy fuzzy. Mine seem to like v30 cabs, and that little Lead 12 cab with the Jensen Falcon 40 10" which is supposed to be modeled on a greenback.

As I read online about the subject seems alot of others say the same thing, ..the vintage 10" or 10" Greenback seem to be the go to speakers, with the 10-35 in the mix as well.

That little Jensen 10 I keep bringing up sounds very smooth with all my small heads, and at like $45-$50 is a bargain compared to it's Celestion counterpart.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
like which speaker?

I have a Celestion G 10 s 50 in two of my Lead 12 combos
In one I have the ceramic Eminence with the brown Fender label ...that came in Pro Juniors for many years . A great sounding ,easy to find speaker

Ive done many a gig with a Lead 12 ...... a lifesaver on those nights where a 50 watter is just gonna make you enemies
AND, it provides some PROPER MARSHALL tone !

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I have a Celestion G 10 s 50 in two of my Lead 12 combos
In one I have the ceramic Eminence with the brown Fender label ...that came in Pro Juniors for many years . A great sounding ,easy to find speaker

Ive done many a gig with a Lead 12 ...... a lifesaver on those nights where a 50 watter is just gonna make you enemies
AND, it provides some PROPER MARSHALL tone !

yeah my combo speaker sounds like fido's azz

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, 16 ohm only is a huge downside. Haven't used the headphone out, can't comment on that.
Yeah, the headphone out sucks on the Dsl1. That doesn't bother me much though, my Bugera G5 Infinium has a SUPERB headphone out as well as a PHENOMENAL line out. The line out I use for completely silent recording, it works with the standby switch on standby! Lots of options with a G5 Infinum too, and it can't be beat at $249!!

Oh, and it sounds great too!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the headphone out sucks on the Dsl1. That doesn't bother me much though, my Bugera G5 Infinium has a SUPERB headphone out as well as a PHENOMENAL line out. The line out I use for completely silent recording, it works with the standby switch on standby! Lots of options with a G5 Infinum too, and it can't be beat at $249!!

Oh, and it sounds great too!

Yep. My little Blackstar Ht1hr has a killer headphone out..as does the id core 10 I have. Both sound way, way better than all the Marshalls I own with that feature..not even close.

Gutch220

Reaction score
These tiny Marshall Lead 12 heads are hard to find. I've been looking on Reverb & ebay but so far, nothing.

if anybody sees one, let me know, especially if the price is right (<$150)

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These tiny Marshall Lead 12 heads are hard to find. I've been looking on Reverb & ebay but so far, nothing.

if anybody sees one, let me know, especially if the price is right (<$150)
Good luck with the $150. :).. People are getting pretty proud of these and asking silly money for them.

I bought my black lead 12 full stack for $250 a few years ago, it's one owner and pretty much mint. I also got a factory white lead 12 full stack for $300 less than a year ago..I felt I got damn lucky getting them for the prices I did. They're asking close to $500 for black stacks, the white ones are a bit more.

Gutch220

Reaction score
The problem is, it needs to be considerably cheaper than a $300 new tube-driven DSL1HR amp which would be considered a superior amp.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is, it needs to be considerably cheaper than a $300 new tube-driven DSL1HR amp which would be considered a superior amp.
The DSL1hr is a better all around amp no doubt, but the lead 12s draw a good portion of their value from their collectable aspect, and the cult following they have amassed.

Sunburnstudios

Reaction score
Lead 12 stacks are starting to sell for greater amounts recently. Saw a silver stack go for $750, a black stack sold for $600 and whites are listed all over $600. Crazy, glad I was able to find all of mine under $450 each.