So, a guy's trying to shake me down on a JVM purchase on Reverb...

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
I sold this guy my JVM205H. It was working flawlessly, and didn't even have a scratch on it. In addition, it has new JJ KT77's that I personally installed and biased. He sends me this today after having it a week:

Note from buyer: "Hello Gear Locker - thank you for sending me the JVM205. The physical condition of this amp is excellent. However, unfortunately it is not functioning anywhere near excellent condition. It is not usable without several areas of repair needed. The first issue is the clean/crunch channel - the the green mode has super amplified volume, the orange mode is inaudible until you turn the volume all the way up and then it gets to about a bedroom level, and the red mode seems about fine. At a minimum the orange mode is unusable without having the circuit board repaired. Also, the switching between green and red is unusable because of the massive over-amplified volume level in the green mode. Second, the overdrive channel has massive humming in orange and red modes - it's unusable noise. It is overwhelming with the volume at bedroom levels and entirely intolerable at performance volume. Overall, I'm highly disappointed as I did a lot of research and this is the exact 50w amp I wanted. Unfortunately, this one is clearly NOT in excellent condition. It would need significant repair to at least re-bias the tubes to hopefully reduce the static, but more concerning it seems to have actual circuit board issues in the clean/crunch channel. This amp is in fair condition from a usability standpoint. I am requesting a full refund, as I was expecting an amp in excellent condition. Thanks, -Chris"

This is user error.. He obviously doesn't realize there's (2) master volumes, mode assignable, and after his "research", didn't know they have extreme amounts of gain, and noise as well, and needs a gate. In addition, he's failed to realize that the clean channel green bypasses the channel volume, and that control comes into play on orange & red. I hope Reverb has my back, this is completely bogus.

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
I had a 410H. Flat sounding, over complicated, noisy, "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of amp.
3 months of fiddling with it, only to cut my losses and flip it.
The thing did my head in.

Ive bought MANY amps that didn't do it for me. I cut my losses and sold them. Never once, in 20 years, did I try to shake down a seller for a return.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Better be the first one to inform Reverb on this issue, and check your return policy on the ad.

He probably thinks he can convince you to refund him, because he has the power to give you a bad rating, but I think Reverb can remove those ratings if there are uncalled for. At this least they should protect the sellers a bit better after raising their fees.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I sold this guy my JVM205H. It was working flawlessly, and didn't even have a scratch on it. In addition, it has new JJ KT77's that I personally installed and biased. He sends me this today after having it a week:

Note from buyer: "Hello Gear Locker - thank you for sending me the JVM205. The physical condition of this amp is excellent. However, unfortunately it is not functioning anywhere near excellent condition. It is not usable without several areas of repair needed. The first issue is the clean/crunch channel - the the green mode has super amplified volume, the orange mode is inaudible until you turn the volume all the way up and then it gets to about a bedroom level, and the red mode seems about fine. At a minimum the orange mode is unusable without having the circuit board repaired. Also, the switching between green and red is unusable because of the massive over-amplified volume level in the green mode. Second, the overdrive channel has massive humming in orange and red modes - it's unusable noise. It is overwhelming with the volume at bedroom levels and entirely intolerable at performance volume. Overall, I'm highly disappointed as I did a lot of research and this is the exact 50w amp I wanted. Unfortunately, this one is clearly NOT in excellent condition. It would need significant repair to at least re-bias the tubes to hopefully reduce the static, but more concerning it seems to have actual circuit board issues in the clean/crunch channel. This amp is in fair condition from a usability standpoint. I am requesting a full refund, as I was expecting an amp in excellent condition. Thanks, -Chris"

This is user error.. He obviously doesn't realize there's (2) master volumes, mode assignable, and after his "research", didn't know they have extreme amounts of gain, and noise as well, and needs a gate. In addition, he's failed to realize that the clean channel green bypasses the channel volume, and that control comes into play on orange & red. I hope Reverb has my back, this is completely bogus.
Nothing you can do except explain what he is overlooking and hopefully its user error, Reverb will side with him on a return.

I had 2 amp transactions go bad on reverb, the first the amp got damaged in transit due to the seller not packing it correctly, the second the seller misrepresented the amp condition, both sellers fought not to refund me, reverb sided with me in both cases and I got all my money and shipping both ways back.

Last edited:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's probably a bit of a pain in the ass, but maybe offer to get on a call and go over what's going on step by step, maybe you can guide him better if it is in fact user error. Maybe he can show you if there is a noise indicating an actual issue. Maybe it was mishandled in shipping.

StingRay85

Reaction score
"This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition with all original packaging."

If it arrived in the condition that you described, and he just doesn't know how this amp works, then it's his own responsibility. I wouldn't accept his proposal and just explain your point of view to Reverb before he gets the chance to start complaining. I wouldn't propose partial refunds or any of that stuff, sold is sold, you never know what this guy did to this amp

As mentioned above, offer a (Skype) call or something like that is probably a good idea and will demonstrate your good will in this deal. If he refuses, tell him to go and suck a fat one

Trouble Free

Reaction score
No use fighting it, Reverb will almost certainly side with him. I have heard of a few sellers gettin the shaft from reverb. this guy isn't happy with Reverb.

rick16v

Reaction score
He's already swapping his shitty tubes for the good ones in the amp.

You gotta take photos of everything nowadays. My pal had an amp returned wrecked. The guy swapped his blown speaker for the good one in the combo, physically damaged the cab, then claimed it arrived damaged in the post. Said it had obviously been dropped as shown by the damaged cabinet, and the impact must have damaged the speaker.

My friend lost the battle.

StingRay85

Reaction score
He's already swapping his shitty tubes for the good ones in the amp.

You gotta take photos of everything nowadays. My pal had an amp returned wrecked. The guy swapped his blown speaker for the good one in the combo, physically damaged the cab, then claimed it arrived damaged in the post. Said it had obviously been dropped as shown by the damaged cabinet, and the impact must have damaged the speaker.

My friend lost the battle.

Wow... an alternative for reverb is needed

Gutch220

Reaction score
I'd swap phone numbers so you can talk him through the stuff you mentioned in real time, explain to him the solutions. If this is still unacceptable, ask him to return it on his dime, and then you'll issue a refund (like you mentioned).
Is it possible the tubes were damaged in transit? Were the tubes individually wrapped, outside of the amp?

Latest posts