So, a guy's trying to shake me down on a JVM purchase on Reverb...

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Man, this guy is a real Dork! Good luck with this and I would do what Anitoli said!!!

Oh, and if you can get your money from Reverb DO IT NOW and DO IT FAST so that you have it. Then tell him the deal above. This way if Reverb sides with him (which like others say they probably will) you can tell Reverb to F off. True you wont be using then anymore but who cares, there are other ways to sell gear without getting the shaft.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I sold this guy my JVM205H. It was working flawlessly, and didn't even have a scratch on it. In addition, it has new JJ KT77's that I personally installed and biased. He sends me this today after having it a week:

Note from buyer: "Hello Gear Locker - thank you for sending me the JVM205. The physical condition of this amp is excellent. However, unfortunately it is not functioning anywhere near excellent condition. It is not usable without several areas of repair needed. The first issue is the clean/crunch channel - the the green mode has super amplified volume, the orange mode is inaudible until you turn the volume all the way up and then it gets to about a bedroom level, and the red mode seems about fine. At a minimum the orange mode is unusable without having the circuit board repaired. Also, the switching between green and red is unusable because of the massive over-amplified volume level in the green mode. Second, the overdrive channel has massive humming in orange and red modes - it's unusable noise. It is overwhelming with the volume at bedroom levels and entirely intolerable at performance volume. Overall, I'm highly disappointed as I did a lot of research and this is the exact 50w amp I wanted. Unfortunately, this one is clearly NOT in excellent condition. It would need significant repair to at least re-bias the tubes to hopefully reduce the static, but more concerning it seems to have actual circuit board issues in the clean/crunch channel. This amp is in fair condition from a usability standpoint. I am requesting a full refund, as I was expecting an amp in excellent condition. Thanks, -Chris"

This is user error.. He obviously doesn't realize there's (2) master volumes, mode assignable, and after his "research", didn't know they have extreme amounts of gain, and noise as well, and needs a gate. In addition, he's failed to realize that the clean channel green bypasses the channel volume, and that control comes into play on orange & red. I hope Reverb has my back, this is completely bogus.
Years ago, I started making a video of every amp I've sold online. I would setup the camera and play through the amp, going through all the settings, switching... I've never had an issue with a seller, but at least I had some proof that the amp worked prior to shipping. If it were me, I'd ask the buyer to make a video, showing what's wrong with the amp, paying careful attention to what he does in the video. I would also contact Reverb and state that the amp worked prior to shipment, and that you'd like some evidence from the buyer that the amp is not working properly. If Reverb sides with the buyer, and says you need to accept the return, I would ask them to hold off on refunding the shipping cost, until you could verify the sellers claims.

PDC1

Reaction score
Reverb has gone down the crapper. Which is so sad, because before they sold out, it was a solid platform worth every penny of fees for legit seller / buyer service. Now it’s just as impersonal as ebay. Not. One. Single. Human. Running the show...

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Oh, and if you can get your money from Reverb DO IT NOW and DO IT FAST so that you have it. Then tell him the deal above. This way if Reverb sides with him (which like others say they probably will) you can tell Reverb to F off. True you wont be using then anymore but who cares, there are other ways to sell gear without getting the shaft.

Fast track to 7 years bad credit Lol

Mark Collier

Reaction score
Whatever you do, do it writing. A phone call has no basis as proof if or when he does make a claim with reverb.

I would also email reverb prior to the call explaining he doesn't know how to use it properly. That everything he complained about is user error.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Reverb can do that, seriously
No, he will get his amp back and the buyer will be refunded his full amount including shipping. Return shipping is on him as Reverb cant pull more money out from the transaction.

Reverb requires a bank account routing number. They will just pull the money from the account regardless if your account is empty or not. Then you will have to deal will the bank and 7 years bad credit lol.
When I was 19 I skipped out on my town school taxes as I was moving out of state. Was reported, never paid and had 7 years of BAD credit. Not worth the 450$

MarshallDog

Reaction score
can't you 'freeze' your bank account? or unauthorize 3rd party withdrawls?

Good question!? I cant believe Reverb can just pull the money out of an acct...doesnt seem right.

ebay/Paypal will sometimes hold the money for 5 days to make sure they have access to it if the transaction goes south!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Nick Dellacroce (Nick D.) in "Customer Service" is a complete cock nozzle. I bailed on Reverb. I swear they are like a company of Nazi's.

Sir Don

Reaction score
I know nothing about selling/buying on Reverb but what if you get the amp back and it works as you described it?

Have you any recourse then?

Just askin'

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation years ago with a Gibson ES335. I sold it through eBay, and the purchaser contacted me to claim that the guitar wasn't in "excellent" condition as claims in my listing. He claimed there was fret buzz, and a small surface ding on the body that wasn't captured in a photo. The guitar was 15 years old at the time.

After a lot of back and forth, I told him to return the guitar for a refund. One hiccup was that under eBay rules, if the item isn't described accurately in the listing, then the seller has to pay for the return shipping. Despite that, I told him to return the guitar. The next day, the dude tells me for a discount to reimburse him for a tech setup. I did some math and decided it was cheaper to give him the discount than to pay for return shipping. So that was that and the matter was closed.

I've sold several pieces of gear on line without a hitch, but unfortunately, this is one of the risks we take. If Reverb requires the purchaser to pay for return shipping, I think the best bet is to have him return the amp and move on.

ampeq

Reaction score
It's the same old story, they start out great and with good intentions. Then they start to get big, which draws out the scum bags. Finally the whole thing is run by scum bags and it's nothing more than a pain in the ass to deal with. Both reverb and ebay are shitholes in my book. The bigger they are the worse they are. I insist on TALKING with the guy I'm buying from or selling to. That way you can clear up most things you can't read into the ad. If nobody calls me forget it. I hate to sell stuff because it is a crap shoot, and my stuff is as new every time. It's mostly dealers today anyway, just like the old flea markets when you could find little treasures from people's garage, now you find chinese junk you wouldn't want for free.

I would try to call the guy and explain how to run the amp, maybe then he'll be happy. He clearly does not know how to use it and should not have bought it in the first place. I hope you can resolve it so you don't have to start over. Make sure your ad read's "as is, no refund". I'v seen that in ad's there before. Good luck my friend.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Something I've done to protect myself from getting fucked over by Reverb or any online dealings is open a separate back account than my main one. All my online purchases go through that and they do not have access to my main account. That way I can just transfer over my money as soon as I get it to my main account and if they try to pull anything out after that then they're shit outta luck.

I did that after selling a guy a perfectly good guitar on Reverb. I described it as is, and took pics of every part of the guitar. He tried saying that the frets were all tarnished and screwed up. They weren't. And because I took so many pics, my proof was in my pictures.

Thankfully, that was back when Reverb still looked after their sellers too. They ended up taking care of both me and the buyer. I think they gave the buyer 50 bucks to get the frets cleaned and then they credited me back the 50 bucks. But after that I got weary of being fucked over and set up that separate account for online dealings.

Latest posts